Suburban Heater problems

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by cmjzoe3000, Jun 1, 2009.

1. cmjzoe3000

cmjzoe3000 New Member

We have a 2001 Starcraft 2408 tent trailer. The furnace (Suburban NT-16SE) has not been able to operate the fan nor ignite the pilot? All other appliances (ie. Fridge, hot water heater, stove) are functioning properly and gas igniting, etc. I have attempted to operate the furnace with a new deep cycle battery and/or plugged into wall, but to no avail nothing will work. All fuses and circuit breaker appear to be fine on the trailer. Also, is there some trick to locating the gas shut off valve anywhere on the unit? The instructor manual diagram displays one, but when I look for it I am unable to locate. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Your furnace may have an "off/reset" button behind the cover of the unit. Check that and try the 'reset' - mine requires a reset any time I disconnect the battery.

Best wishes

3. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

I was out working on my pup yesterday, couldn't get the furnace going. I crawled underneath and followed the lines, gave a little jiggle to the small thermostat lines and it fired right up. Needles to say i will be checking checking through those lines for loose connections, but its something to look at. Have you checked out your thermostat as well?

4. cmjzoe3000

cmjzoe3000 New Member

I did not notice a reset button behind the cover. There is one towards the back half of the furnace, and I did try that, but it did not do anything. I checked the wiring on the thermostat, which looked fine. Is there a way to test it or is the only test to replace? Can you just bypass the tstat all together?

5. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

Hope this helps
    1. Check under the trailer for the shut-off. I saw one on mine yesterday, but it may not have been for the furnace as my stove mounts in the same area.
    2. Not sure about testing the thermostat. Not sure if you can just jump the two wires together or not. Hopefully someone will chime in because i think all it would do would be to permanently open the circuit. I'd pull the t-stat cover first and make sure the switch is making contact when you turn it up. When i move my thermostat, i can here it engage before the fan comes on.
    3. When i pulled the cover off my furnace, i saw a stamp stating that the furnace will not fire if the front cover is loose, removed, or out of position (some sort of safety interlock). Something to check!
    4. You don't need propane connected to run the furnace, you can test it without, just to see if you can get the fan running.
    Good Luck

6. Art

Art New Member

I have a 2008 Palomino Gazelle with the Suburban NT-SE-16 furnace. It has been a major pain from new. It does not start when the temperature drops below set point. The dealer replaced the thermostat. This did not help at all. The dealer exchanged the furnace with one from another new trailer. This stopped functioning by the time I got the trailer home. One evening, while I was frustrated; I stomped my foot on the floor and Wham! the furnace started.

Being somewhat familiar with electronics I knew this had to be a mechanical function, as solid state devices do not respond to physical stimulation. The answer has to be a sticking mechanical limit switch. I looked the electrical drawings over and have located "a Normally Closed sail switch, and a Normally Closed over temperature switch. If either of these Normally Closed states are "Open" then the furnace will not start; unless of course you were to stimulate them with a good vibration.

I'm in the process of trying to test these switches and verifying the cause for failure to start . Once I have a cure I will get back to you all.
    Art

7. Frodo

Frodo New Member

If the fan does not start, then you have an electrical problem. Don't worry about the propane until the fan is running. See if you have power to the furnace and work back from there. If that is good, try bypassing the thermostat. I believe that if you connect the wires to gether for the thermostat, that signals the furnace to turn on.

8. Art

Art New Member

I finally tracked down the culprit that has caused the erratic operation of my Suburban NT-SE16 furnace.

It wasn't the furnace at all. It was in the Analog Thermostat Interface module, in the ceiling of my Palomino Gazelle trailer, under the air conditioner vent.

Seems this module is required if you also are equipped with air conditioning that is controlled from the same thermostat.

There is a small relay housed on the module board (K2) that controls power to the furnace blower. If the blower doesn't start, the gas valve will not open, and the ignition will fail.

The contacts on these small relays undergo a lot of arcing due to thermostat cycling. This causes premature failure of the relay and erratic operation of the furnace blower.

The Dometic part number for the module is:3107541.009

If you are into repairs the relay is: Potter Brumfield Model T7Cs5D-12

Good luck with solving your furnace issues.

Art

9. cmjzoe3000

cmjzoe3000 New Member

I haven't got final word yet as I finally took into a mechanic. Looks as though the wiring from my tstat was ran beneath my fridge, and due to this the wire was cut. Basically, it was wired poorly to begin with. I will post a message once I review repair with the mechanic.

Corey