Suburban SW6P Water Heater - won't stay running

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by jamesw1008, Jun 3, 2014.

1. jamesw1008

jamesw1008 New Member

May 9, 2011
    The water heater in our 2001 Coleman Utah won't stay running. I light the pilot just fine, but when I turn it to 'On' it runs for about 20-30 seconds and then flames out. It spills out gas until the thermo-couple cools down. I pulled out the burner assembly and brushed out the main tube, cleaned the pilot burner and thermo-couple and blew it all out with an air compressor. Still no luck. I've been through some posts here and other places and can't figure out what else to try. The pilot flame and main flame look pretty good to me when they are running, though the force of the gas running into the burner seems kind of high. Any suggestions?

2. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Will the pilot run in pilot by itself for 3 minutes or so?
    When you say "it runs for about 20 -30 seconds" what are you talking about, pilot or main burner?
    "it spills out gas until the thermocouple cools down" What are you talking about? pilot or main burner.

3. jamesw1008

jamesw1008 New Member

May 9, 2011
    Hi, yeah the pilot works okay by itself. The main burner flames out after20 to 30 seconds. Strangely enough, when I went to test it out again this afternoon, it seems to be working. We're leaving for a three night trip tomorrow morning, so we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope we have hot water!

4. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    If the main burner is going out, then the gas is being turned off by the flame detector. Does the pilot stay lit when the main flame goes out?

5. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    If the pilot is running fine for a few minutes on its own then the thermocouple is fine and not the reason it shuts off unless it is blowing so hard it is extinguishing both flames. Only reason I can come up with your condition is that you still had air in your lines. Still, that leaves many questions. If it is working now then fine but once you are back from your vacations disconnect the gas line and see if you have the problem again. Do not disconnect your gas line for now just in case.... In a side note, in most cases your pilot will be enough to heat up the water, it will not be 160 degree but it should be warm which is better than cold... good luck! have a great trip.

6. CTrim

CTrim New Member

May 15, 2018
    We are having a similar issue, the last two times we have camped we cannot get the pilot light to stay on or the burner to ignite. This is what happens: we light the pilot, holding the knob down until the pilot is well lit, let the knob up and pilot slowly goes out, about 5 seconds, if we turn the knob to "on" pilot immediately goes out, burner never lights. Any ideas?(yes the gas is on, the water heater used to work fine, etc.) :)

Last edited: May 21, 2018