Swamp Cooler for AC?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Faboo2bme2, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Faboo2bme2

Faboo2bme2 New Member

ive been researching what type of portable AC to put in my pop up.
    I have a fantastic fan in roof to help release some heat if needed. We will be camping on the dry/hot side of WA state in approx 100 degree weather. Will have pugs and window reflexor.
    I just stumbled across a swamp cooler... has anyone tried using these?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

All i know is it gets hot in there! AC is AC, a swamp cooler isn't! I would get the AC, especially if using campgrounds with hook ups.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

They do OK in West Texas, but that is dry desert heat. If you have anything above 25% humidity or so I don't think they work all that well. I have been in 100 degree heat with no shade. With a rooftop AC, pugs and reflectix in the windows I was barely able to keep it at around 80 or so. Even then the bunks got real warm during that time. I kept the bunk curtains closed to try and keep the cabin contained, but I don't think the thin curtain material helped much.

Check out the burning man forums. They have all sorts of ways to keep those big tents and such bearable in the desert heat on the lakebed. Assuming you are camping in similar conditions then you might find some good ideas there.

Faboo2bme2 likes this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Sneezer is correct - the swamp cooler's performance degrades badly with a rise in humidity. The cooling effect of a SC has everything to do with evaporation. The higher the humidity, the less evaporation happens. They work great in the desert, but under normal weather conditions, they become overpriced fans.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I have to run one, along with the AC, in the Aliner when it gets hot. The "new" AC setup in the Aliner is far from optimal. AC takes out the humidity out of the Aliner, which lets the little ArticAir swamp cooler work on the other end of the camper.

Search for the 2018 Aliner Scout review. if you want to know more about the Aliner AC setup issue.

6. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Sounds like a good idea for where we are. We use one to cool our house. No AC. We are generally less than 15% humidity.

7. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

I did a motorcycle ride thru the Northern Cascades some years ago and it was pistol hot and dry on the Eastern side of Washington. If that's your primary area to camp it should do just fine.

Faboo2bme2 likes this.
  8. Faboo2bme2

Faboo2bme2 New Member

That is the close to the part of the state we will be camping in. I grew up in a Okanogan County, that is where we camp. Very dry hot summers
    We used a swamp cooler in our home when I was a child, that’s sort of what made me think it may work in the pop up? Additionally, the swamp cooler is indoor/outdoor. We attend Watershed at the Gorge, having a outdoor swamp cooler could be amazing there!