Systems checklist before camping for a first timer

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Nugz, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Nugz

Nugz New Member

Hey all, first time going out with our NTU PUP! Going local in case we need anything or assistance :grin: weather is looking iffy, thunderstorms, day temp 70s, nights 50s...

hoping to test out all of the systems, any last minute systems checks I should do before hooking up and heading out??

Thanks!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If you've already prepared everything for the season, I wouldn't even worry about the pup. Pack it up and have fun, even if it rains. Bring entertainment for when it rains and you should be covered.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I would hook up, double check the lights and hitch connection and go.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Bring a pad and pencil.

kcsa75 and Shaman1 like this.
  5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Fun is order #1

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

I don't know what YOU should do, but I'll tell you what I wish I would have done before our first time out in our NTU PUP:

I wish I would have gotten familiar with the heater and run it through a few cycles at home. I didn't really bother checking it out because our first trip was over Memorial Day Weekend so I didn't think we'd need it, but temps ended up dropping into the low 40's overnight. I didn't want to start the heater since I wasn't really familiar with how it worked and if it would be safe. We managed okay, but the heater would have been nice.

Since then, we added a CO detector to our gear and I know the heater system inside and out. We used it last October (with snow!) and had a great time, toasty and warm inside the PUP.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Make sure you sanitized the water system. Check that all works at least once before heading out. Check your battery and breaks( break away cable also) if you have them. Make sure your tires are inflated. Know how to use your breaks, and chains etc. Lights work, etc. Make sure you have a jack that will fit on the pup if you get a flat. So much stuff..... i can go on and on.......

8. Pop-N-Fresh

Pop-N-Fresh New Member

Don't forget your wallet/purse. Took a long road trip and finally stopped for a bathroom break and to gas-up....just to discover that I had left my purse at home. Luckily the gas station attendant was willing to take our plate number and allow us to make the 3.5 hour round trip to go home and pick it up and come back and pay for gas.

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Good point, Pop! Also, pack a few checks and/or small bills if you're hitting National Forest campgrounds or other places where you stuff your fee in an envelope. Envelopes don't make change!

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I like to do as much as I can at least 1 day before leaving;
    Check battery connections and charge battery.
    Check/set tire pressure on pup and tv.
    Blow the spiders out of fridge burner and wh pilot.
    Check lug nut torque.

After hooking up you should:
    Check turn signal and brake light functionality on pup.
    Check pup brakes, I apply the manual brake control and try to pull the pup forward.

Make sure the wheel chocks, leveling whatever, jack and lug wrench are loaded.

If you haven't already you can weigh the LP cylinder, 18 pounds, which is empty, to 38 pounds, which is full, is the range of weight.