Tesla Model X tows airplane

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by tzmartin, May 17, 2018 at 6:45 AM.

1. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    So this is an interesting tow vehicle. An article i read says tesla model X can tow 5500lbs. How about that for your popup TV?

Need a WDH?

Rusty2192 likes this.
  2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My OLD Sears LT1000 80's mower can spot a popup trailer too I guess like shown in this google image...

[​IMG]
    google image

You see strange and interesting things on-line all the time... hehe

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

tzmartin and bearman512 like this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    What's the range while towing 5500 pounds at highway speed? 30 miles?
    45?

tzmartin likes this.
  4. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    My boss has one and is crazy about it. I asked her the mileage it gets. She told me that to get to Orlando from where we live in South Florida she had to stop and charge it for 45 minutes along the way. No thanks. This wouldn't make it down the street towing anything.

tzmartin likes this.
  5. Decker

Decker Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Yeah, and my 1978 Toyota 2WD towed a semi for half a mile. :p

Electric cars are for commuting. It would suck to get to the camp site and not have the power to get home.

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    There is a member in the Popup Camper Owners group on Facebook that tows a pup with a Model X. They said range drops about 35% towing the pup. Their particular model has about 290 miles of range normally, so about 190 miles towing. A big bonus of towing a camper with an EV is that you get to charge it for free from the electric pedestal at the campground overnight, extra quickly if it has 50A. If you are a member or become one, you can search “Tesla” and their post was the first or second result.

I looked up stuff in the past and at the 5,000 lb limit, range reportedly drops by about half, depending on the aerodynamics of the trailer.

tzmartin likes this.