The dark side is amazing.

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Wood campers, Jan 15, 2018.

1. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    My 2nd pup had a ac, electric roof, and a cassette toilet . first time my kids used It....the nasty way to clean them with clogged toilet paper was the last straw for me to go dark side.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    which kind of toilet paper did you use? Cassette toilet require special kind of toilet paper.

3. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Honestly not sure, we went on a camping trip where a hurriance went through the area. It rained so hard with wind. Me , wife, DS ,DD , Dog and mother in law spent a miserable week inside.
    when we came back my wife rather gentle let me pick between 2 TT she and my daughter picked out . i was over ruled.
    I know we love to camp and its was 21k but she had me on the cost of it when she pointed to the fact i have 2 motorcycles in the garage living in the north east where summers are short .

4. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Oh my gosh! I never thought of this! We’ve never had to fuel while towing yet!

5. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    using wrong toilet paper for cassette toilet is like throwing in paper towel at toilets at home.

6. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    So basically use septic safe TP?

7. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I used the one they sell in camping world and camping store that is labelled as RV toilet paper. Not sure what brand.

My son who was being potty trained did over use it.

MaeKay likes this.
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I use the regular Kirkland brand in the TT, same as we use at the house.. Use enough water in the black tank and you will have little issues..

MaeKay likes this.
  9. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Just use any RV toilet paper. I would love to use soft ones for home but its a no-no.

MaeKay likes this.
  10. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We get free TP from work (weird perk, I know...) so I would have never thought of buying the cheap stuff. Glad I found out the easy way!

11. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Lol...with you on that one....now have grand kids potty training...

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Tell me about it...I have a hemi under the hood. Have lots of power for pulling though...

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Since we only had the folding toilet that used gel bags in our pups, I dreaded learning how to deal with the black and gray waste tanks on the TT. Very much not as bad as I feared, turns out the most difficult thing is figuring out tricks so my puny hands can deal with the connectors when I'm solo.
    We'd already developed strategies for gas stations with the pups, we just expanded on them for the Retro. We start looking for gas sooner rather than later, or fill up when we find a good place, since we sometimes drive around a gas station and head on down the road, if it's not set up for easy refilling. (Driving with the LP 'fridge on means extra steps before and after refueling, since we don't go anywhere near the pumps with it on.)

MaeKay likes this.
  14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    We stop for gas once we hit about 1/2 a tank.. yes does meen a lot of stopping but also means no worrying about if we can make to the next station. Not too much of an issue when your on the interstate or major highway but when your off on side roads out in the country 1/2 a tank may be the difference between making the next town or not..

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Even on the interstate, it can be an issue. There's a section of I-70 in Utah that has something like 120 or 150 miles between towns with services. I even got nervous on my trip home from Ohio in the fall, when heavy winds, bad weather, and a seeming lack of handy gas stations meant I got much lower on gas than I like. Once I found a rest stop, I could use my app to see where gas station were coming up. (At least I had cell service there.)

16. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I use the Gas Buddy app to see how far the next gas station is or which town has cheaper gas. But I make sure to plan ahead because we have driven out to Baker, NV (the loneliest highway in the US) and there was no cell reception OR gas stations.

Using Gas Buddy we discovered Wells has cheaper gas than Elko (by about 30 cents) and Fernley, just outside of Reno, is also a lot cheaper.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Gas Buddy works great when the other humans in the vehicle are awake.. I have tried to get the dogs to use the phone and a few apps while I drive, the other humans sleep and the dogs stare out the windows at passing toilets..

MaeKay and jnc like this.
  18. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    LOL. Yeah, I used to always be the navigator and I can’t sleep in the car so I would plan ahead and look at maps, etc. Now that my husband has discovered how fun it is to surf his phone while I drive, I drive more often. Which is funny because I’ve always offered to take a turn driving.

19. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    I'm not sure if all those TP posts last week are referring to cassette toilets only, but with most black tanks it doesn't matter 1 bit. I've been using the multi ply quilted super soft super thick stuff for 15+ years and have never had a black tank clog on any of my campers. That RV paper is a huge rip off; twice the price, feels like sand paper, takes 1/2 roll every time..... Just make sure the tank is filled with water to the top before dumping. Your posterior will thank you for it.

Adam

20. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    So do we and never had a problem with either the Thetford electric flush porti potty, or the flush toilet in the Niagara. I think as long as the paper soaks for a bit, the chemical will break down the paper. The only problem I had is with something that shouldn't have been in the toilet.