The Good Ole Days

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Orchid, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Just a couple of fun pics from Coleman brochures. Towing with a Pinto and Chevette? (not positive on that car) In any event, life was so much simpler then ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adina*Moo, jumpoff and prop630 like this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    VW Rabbit

Flamingo Guy and Orchid like this.
  3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    VW Rabbit. Either one, pulling even a small trailer does not sound like fun. But at least with the Pinto, hit it hard enough in the rear and you can get the bonfire going quick.:D:eek:

And they are wearing bell bottoms.....

Times sure have changed....

jumpoff, JiffyPopJunkie and Orchid like this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    A Chevette?!?! I'm sorry, but that is hilariously and blatantly irresponsible! [LOL]

My dad owned a Chevette and that thing was nothing but a tin can on wheels. It could barely make it up a hill without towing anything. I could probably tow the Chevette with my banana seat bike![LOL][LOL]

Although, I did know a guy in high school that put a Corvette engine and tranny into his Vega.o_O

jnc and Orchid like this.
  5. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Very cool, yes they were! I like looking at the old Coleman manuals as well. My family had a Mercury Bobcat (Pinto) growing up and that didn't have a lot of power going up a hill either!

Orchid likes this.
  6. Orchid

The exploding Pintos! I had completely forgotten about that! My dad had a couple of them. Can't remember if he had he exploding model or not.

7. Orchid

I had a Chevette when I was 18. I moved to WV and had to trade it in because it couldn't make the hills. True story. [:P] Glad to find out from others that is actually a Rabbit, although not sure if that's any better.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I used to hook my first pup, a Sears one wheel it, had bumper clamps for each side of the bumper, (would not work today with our modern bumpers) to anything that had a solid bumper, it was light, easy to back up, the top opened to have two single bed platforms, and rest was tent, huge tent in fact. but really comfortable and lots of room. Wish I still had it. The wheel finally gave out and no parts were available. The best $ 20.00 I ever sent as we used it for several years.

BelchFire and Orchid like this.
  9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    I didn't know we went to school together BikeNFish....been there done that Vega....lol

BikeNFish likes this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Would love to see pictures of this camper!!

11. jeicher

jeicher Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Circa 1978 - Allstate/Nimrod tent trailer with 1978 Honda 5-Door as tow vehicle. Two adults and two children traveled from PA to Disneyworld and back.
    [​IMG]

Adina*Moo, DJS12354, prop630 and 2 others like this.
  12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I would too, but due to a fire (house burned down many years ago) I have no pictures of anything prior to the fire,
    My neighbor has a pull behind that he is rebuilding, it was a rental from U Haul, all fiberglass, neat outfit. I never knew U Haul had a rental camper. He still has the ice box in it.

13. Orchid

This is awesome!!

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I had a 79 S**tvette[:D]Total POS
    LOVE to Pic's they remind me of riding in the backseat of moms station Wagon giving everyone the PEACE sign while dads yelling at use to stop it!:D

jmkay1 and Orchid like this.
  15. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    DW's first car was a Chevette. A teenager on a brand new Honda motorcycle totaled it. He literally bought the bike, rocketed across three lanes of traffic, hit her driver's door and sailed over the roof ... with his father standing in the dealership parking lot looking at the whole thing. He was OK in the end. The Chevette never made it home.

The camper in the background of the first picture reminds me of my best friend's family's camper. His dad would set it up for us in the back yard, but I never got to go camping with them in it away from town. That was a fun camper! :)

Orchid likes this.
  16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Reminds me of this...

Smart car.jpg

Adina*Moo, Mongo71, Dback2k4 and 2 others like this.
  17. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Yep; that's how I always imagined it went. She was in college and it was before we met, otherwise, I'd have been freaking out! I think I have a picture of her watching her brother try to pull some damage out of the fender after he ran through a ditch. I'm surprised it survived that one too.

18. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    ....couldn't find one showing the "tent" but here's one that someone made into a tear drop...lol
    Seems the Sears trailer was just a rebranded Allstate trailer.
    991b79c9a4f79075d00c58e4f50b0471.jpg

PopUpSteve, Orchid and jnc like this.
  19. Orchid

We used to get into all sorts of shenanigans in the rear facing seat of my best friend's dad's station wagon. Good times!

jnc likes this.
  20. Orchid

Omg, because the kid was okay in the end, I get to LMBO at this! I'm sure it was horrific at the time, especially for the father of the rider. Glad it ended up as a story to tell the grandchildren, rather than tragedy.

Sharing this one of facebook! So hilarious!

jumpoff likes this.