The right power drill to raise my pop up roof

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Balone42, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Balone42

Balone42 New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Hi. A few months back, last year actually, I researched the power drill needed for raising the roof of a Pop up. I bought a 19.5 Craftsman that was supposed to do the job, but it doesn't. Fortunately I got the extended warrantee so I can take it back and trade up, but I am unsure as to what model to get. I have a 12 foot Coleman Tacoma. Obviously the suggested drill was for a smaller and less heavy top. What drill do you think I should get to raise that top?

2. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
  3. Balone42

Balone42 New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    thanks everyone. Perhaps I am not using the drill correctly. I have the Craftsman 19.2 C3 portable with settings between 2 and 22. I had it in drill mode and set on 22. One of the posts said to crank the roof up a couple of turns before using the drill. Is that what I did wrong? What happens each time I try to use the drill to lift the roof is it starts it up and then then nada. BTW, the fellow at a local coleman repair shop told me they lift the roofs with a drill all the time and as long as you do not lift it to the very top of the pulley there will be no problems. I had the whole system lubricated and adjusted before trying to use the drill. Apparently they, ie the mechanics, are not supposed to show you how to use the drill as it is not considered safe by coleman and (I suspect) because they want to sell you a $1200 lift system. [:!]

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I think you are on the right track. In high torque and low speed mode, it may do the job. Go beyond 22, drive mode, to the drill symbol. Hope that does the trick.

5. gec66

gec66 New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    You need a 2 speed drill and it needs to be in low speed to have enough torque according to others that are doing it with a cordless drill. I bought a Craftsman 20v Professional Lith-Ion for this purpose.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    From what I've read the key is the heaviest duty, highest voltage, most inch-pounds of torque drill you can get.

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

May 29, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Does your craftsman have the HI/LO selector switch on the top? Put it in Lo to get as much torque as possible, that should take the roof up. Get a good grip on it because Newton will not be denied.
    MR

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Another thing I was told you should look for is a drill that has metal gears NOT plastic.. the metal gears will take more abuse.

9. ezduzit

ezduzit New Member

May 10, 2010
    Is there a advantage to using the drill over a 12V stationary electric winch? (If applicable.) My HF winch cost me $59. I have a battery in the trailer anyway, so I have power. (Or you could use the TV battery. It doesn't draw enough to worry about.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It has more power than needed to do this job. (Just be careful not to over-crank.)

10. jkpluvspups

jkpluvspups Scorpion Tower

Oct 17, 2010
    The Hilti 18 volt lithium battery cordless is what I have and its three speeds with 1 being the slowest and most pwerfull, I have no problems raising the top with it.

11. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    ezduzit,
    Do you have any more info on your installation? I was considering the same thing with the HF winch. Did you attach it to your lift system or do you just use it like a drill? Any additional photo's, info model numbers etc... would be great.
    Thanks!
    ms

12. ezduzit

ezduzit New Member

May 10, 2010
    The winch I used is the #3,000 12V winch. It comes with radio control, but don't use it because it has a 1 - 2 second lag.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=winch+95912 Usually $59 on sale (frequently)

The winch is bolted onto the back of the propane bottle support. (Up side down.) I left the mechanical winch on as a backup. The bracket worked well, and the spool is right on center. I removed the spooling rollers, but probably didn't have to. Set yourself up with a extended switch so that you can watch the indicator for full up. It runs forward or backward. (Some don't.) It only needs to run a short time, so it doesn't eat up battery. It stops immediately when you let off the switch and is self locking, due to very low gearing.
    I was really easy. Anything else you need to know, I'll try to answer.
    Additional pics a bit later today if I can.

13. azgilamonster

azgilamonster New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I use a corded 1/2" heavy duty drill Low speed High torque from harbor frieght tool
    here are some pics I have a video but it is taking to long to download
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
  15. azgilamonster

azgilamonster New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    your welcome mschepac , remeber hold onto the drill as it has a lot of torque.
    here is a short video
    [​IMG]

16. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    Delivered today! Tried it out, works great. Even with a 12' box with roof mounted a/c, it cranked it up no problem.
    Now I just have to remember the right size socket for the BAL leveler....
    BRING ON SPRING!!!!
    ms

17. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Jan 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thank you! I have been watching this post to see how it worked. I just ordered mine today. Is it Spring yet? [:)C]

18. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Ok, help. What am I doing wrong? I bought that same drill. Took it out this weekend, and it didn't work. About halfway up, it got slower and slower, then the drill started to smell.... Ack! I stopped it and cranked the rest of the way, didn't want to burn out the drill.

Unless new drills just smell when you use them a while. Is it supposed to slow to a crawl?

19. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    There is a small knob on the trigger that limits the throw of the trigger. Make sure that is out enough. At first I cranked mine in as far is it can go to slow the turn, but as the roof went up there just wasn't enough torque. Spun it out a little bit and it had no problem.
    Good luck!
    ms

20. azgilamonster

azgilamonster New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    moneeleann, If your drill smoked a bit harbor frieght has a 30 day return policy no questions asked, I would return it and replace with another don't tell them it smoked , and adjust the variable speed switch on the replacement drill as mschepac said.
    I have used mine now on 4 outings and no problems at all. Ido not use it for lowering the roof , ours is only 8' box with roof ac