Thetford Cassette Flush Tank: Bad smell and black bits!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by DigitalGuru, Jun 21, 2018.

1. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Hello all. We took our camper out this past weekend after having used it a couple weeks ago and our cassette flush water tank has turned rotten! The DW was setting up the interior while I was working on the exterior and when she opened the toilet the smell was horrendous! Like rotten cheese. We had used our toilet over the memorial day weekend and refilled out flush water tank at a dump station and refilled with non-potable water (never had a problem before). This time when we would add water to the bowl a occasional black chunk or bit would come out. After determining that the smell was not going away we closed it back up and are in need of remediation. Any ideas how to clean out the flush tank? Would using bleach damage anything in the flush mechanism (manual flush) or the cassette blade?

Possibly related, it appears that some waste /TP got stuck to the cassette blade mechanism during the last trip. My plan is to drain, rinse, clean the cassette tank as well (yuk). Thoughts about cleaning out cassette/blade components?

Thanks in advance!

2. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Pull down slightly on the sight tube, it will disengage from the top, and allow it to hang out from the camper. That will drain the flush tank. Then, reset the sight tube, add 1/4 cup bleach and fill the tank about half full. Let it set for a few minutes and drain through the sight tube again. Then refill and drain the flush tank with fresh water a couple of times.

Do not pump the bleach water through the system, it will dry out the blade seal.

Clean the cassette and then coat the blade seal with olive oil to keep it from drying out. My manual says never use anything but olive oil on the seals.

3. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Will do, thanks. This was my thought as well, wasn't sure of putting it threw the manual pump though.