Thetford toilet won't "flush"

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by LisaFree, Jun 15, 2011.

1. LisaFree

LisaFree New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Apparently my popup decided to save all the sputs for my second trip out. That would be fine except this was the trip my DH went on, and the one where I was hoping to sell him on the idea of camping with me and the kids a good bit. [V]

I was setting up the potty for use the first night and gave it a "flush" to rinse things out good. First flush went great. After that, it wouldn't flush anymore. I pushed the button and nothing happened! I assume there's a fuse for the toilet that I need to check, but where do I look?

2. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I just had the same problem. Mine worked perfect for the dealer demo back in Feb. Last weekend was the first time we needed to use the in-PUP potty (the campground bathrooms locked at night). Went to use the potty and it wouldn't pump rinse water.

The fuse on mine is inside the unit. When I remove the cassette waste tank, it is in a little removable cover on the back wall of the now empty space.

Lesson learned . . . keep spare fuses handy. I bought a pack of spares this week and they are now in the PUP. I already knew this, but hadn't gotten around to buying them yet.

3. Loving life

Loving life New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    We had the same problem with our Thetford. Had it set up in the back yard for 2 weeks testing everything out, worked perfectly then, go on our 1st trip, flush and no water! However, on our very next trip, the darn thing is working. We did notice in the first few flushes that some debris was coming out of the water line so as soon as we got back I went to Wal-Mart and picked up an in-line water filter, gonna give that a try.

4. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Do you have the Thetford casette toilet with electric flush? If so, I had no idea it had a fuse. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thank you. :)

5. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I was surprised too. I figured it was run from one of the other fuses in the fuse panel.

I think (if I remember correctly) that it is a Thetford C-402C. It has an electric water pump (push button) with a mechanical flushing handle.

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

May 31, 2011
    That's exactly what we have. Guess we'd better pick up some spare fuses for that too. Now that we've gotten used to the Thetford, we wouldn't want to go back to "midnight strolls".

7. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

May 31, 2011
    What size are the fuses for the Thetford, please? Thank you.

8. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    The original in mine was a 3 amp. I replaced it with a 5 amp.

9. LisaFree

LisaFree New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks for the tip on replacing the fuse with a 5 amp. I like to never located the fuse on my toilet. It was so far up in there and sandwiched so tight between other stuff that it was nearly impossible to remove. I hope the 5 amp fuse lasts forever and I never have to stick my head in the underside of that toilet again!

10. LisaFree

LisaFree New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I am resurrecting this old post of mine in need of help with the same problem again.

My thetford toilet won't flush again. However, I've put a new fuse in it and it's STILL not flushing. Even put a 6 amp fuse in there this time. It kept blowing the 3 amp and 5 amp fuses. Obviously something else is going on but I'd really like to attempt to fix it myself as the repair shop is a bit of a drive. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Lisa

11. LisaFree

LisaFree New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I read through some of the other posts and someone suggested the impeller might be seized up in this case. So, I removed the toilet paper holder thingy as suggested, but I don't have a motor under there. I did have lots of clean blue water in the area, which I pumped out so I could see for sure what was underneath, but there's no sign whatsoever of an impeller. Where else should I look? My camper is a 2004 model, if that helps.

12. seandd

seandd New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    I cannot help you with the port potty issue, sorry. But, a golden rule when working with electricity and fuses is never put a larger fuse in place of what was originally there (this is of course null and void if an incorrect fuse was put in place originally). Any time you put a larger fuse in, you are allowing a larger amount of current draw thru the device it is supposed to be protecting. That is what a fuse does, it protects something downstream from possibly being burned out. If you blow a fuse, replace it once, if it blows again, start troubleshooting. This does not include installing a larger fuse. You could very well ruin a component, motor, etc. downstream. Sorry I cannot help you with troubleshooting your issue, but this is a rule with any device, vehicle, or tool. Good luck.

13. Solarbuddy

Solarbuddy New Member

May 15, 2018
    I found this really old thread and just had to post several thoughts.

1. There's absolutely no reason not to use good judgment and up-size a fuse when required, especially in the context of troubleshooting.

2. Thetford flushing pumps go bad with great frequency. I replaced my last flushing pump just three years ago and it's already bad. If the toilet fuse is not blown, then the flushing pump may have seized up. There are several excellent YouTube videos around on how to replace it.

3. If you take out the toilet paper holder and look down where the water reservoir and flushing pump is and you see Blue Water, you are putting the Thetford solution in the wrong place. It should go into the black water storage area, not the flushing-water supply area. Hose out the water reservoir and make sure that it is filled with clean water.

14. 2mommas

2mommas New Member

Mar 16, 2015
    My Niagara is 18 years old, so I try not to put too much money back into it unnecessarily. After a few failed attempts at fixing the toilet, I now just keep a gallon of water/ toilet chemical mix in the "shoilet" and use a bit of the mix to rinse away the #1- since that's all that we use the toilet for. That eliminated the need to have a working flush.

My money is being saved for the dreaded ABS roof that I keep reading will eventually need replacing!

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    One question, Did you put the water in the correct bowl,? it is not to hard to do (this was one of my first blunders)

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I guess I'm glad my Thetford cassette has a manual flush. Not much to go wrong at all. It wouldn't flush when I got it, but just because the fresh water hose had fell off the bellows. So simple and obvious how it works and how to fix it. Sometimes technology just complicates things.