Things to do at a rally

Discussion in 'General Rally Info' started by hvac1877, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    I wanted to start a thread on what everyone does at there rallys? i just have a meet and greet on friday night and a pot-luck on saturday night. Since my first rally i gave away door prizes or had a serect-camper gift exchange. first year did camping related gifts,2nd year did the gift exchange,3rd year gave away bucket lights. this year going to give away camping stuff with a grand prise of a 12 dutch oven.

Peter

2. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Okeechobee, FL
    Haven't ever really scheduled a meet and greet but did offer an informal one this weekend at our FL Rally... Invited folks to stop by and had both fryers going with some gator, cooter, conch fritters, and swamp cabbage for folks to sample. Worked out really well. Usually schedule our potluck on Saturday for 5:00 pm. Try to have door prizes for all and so far it has worked out... Basically only 2 scheduled events.
    Rallys have been getting larger but seemed to have leveled off. Which is good... Trying to schedule more events for 30 plus campers would be a chore. Plus most would like to spend their free time exploring the park. Canoeing, geocaching, or just walking trails. Fall Rally is scheduled a week or so before Halloween so we do encourage decorating. Most seem to be happy with the system. Those that aren't hopefully won't join the next one... [:D]

3. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Jun 19, 2008
    Woodbridge, VA
    For most of our NE Rally's we do a Meet N Greet on Friday night and a Pot-Luck on Saturday Night. If it is a long weekend we usually do breakfast on Sunday. Other than that, we leave people on their own. There is usually a game of ladder golf going on somewhere and sometimes a game of dominos. Always some sightseeing and lounging around in front of a fire.

4. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Dec 2, 2011
    First off, I'm thrilled to be a Moderator for the 2012 Southern California Summer Rally and have access to all the good stuff posted here in the Wagonmaster's Forum!

eckertsbrew (Keith) is also a Moderator for the Rally and he's already messaged me with a few things we might do:

I have a full badmitten set that is always in PUP (adults and kids)
    I have a rubber Horseshoe set (adults and kids)
    Scavenger hunt would be fun. (adults and kids) We could have each group pick up ab items from the 99cent store. (Bic Lighter Stick, Candles, smallflash lights things that could be used in our PUP's.

As for me and DH, all we have is a Fruitominos game, a pakgammon game, and the (dreaded) Birdwatching Trivia game I always threaten to bring. Now, DH loves birdwatching, just not playing a board game on he subject! And these are all games for two or maybe four, not a group type of activity.

So it's a good thing we have time; it will give me a chance to come up with more ideas for possible activities. [:D]

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm excited to be a first time Wagon Mistress too! [A]

So far, I've planned the Meet & Greet on Friday, with a potluck dinner on Saturday. Plenty of games being brought and stuff to do around town and on site.

I'm also having a raffle of 5 items, since we have 5 campers! Do you guys ever do a 50/50 drawing with your larger groups? I always liked them because for a buck, you can make that back and more!!

Pam

6. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    the first year i co-hosted the rally we did a 50-50 and the winner donated the money to the portal. good luck with the rally remeber have FUN!!!! It only took me 3 rallys to understand this!!!!!

7. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Our Michigan rally this year was a big success. Here's what we did:

Only 4 members went biking. About a dozen joined the Geocaching program put on by the campground. Shopping drew about 3 families. Overall, we had about 99% participation at the Meet and Greet, Pot Luck, and Breakfast on Sunday. We'll probably just formally plan those 3 activities next year.

We had 26 campsites filled with PUP members. On a 2 or 3 sites, PUP members brought friends with them, so the actual count of families was higher. About 70 some people attended! It was great! :)

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd love to do a 50/50. With only 5 of us though, it would probably be somewhat counter productive. But maybe with the smaller group, the Re-gift Giveaway will work! It's always fun as you usually end up with junk, but hey, one campers junk in another campers gold! [A]

I'm still hoping some TN folks might join in!

I think I'll suggest the geocaching too, because there are woods galore to hide things. I've never done this, so maybe one of the attendees can hide stuff!

Pam

9. BALTIBCAMPER

BALTIBCAMPER Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Well this is my first year Wagon Master,hope fully I can pull this off. We plan to give away plan to give away white popupportal apron for the best homemade potluck dish and a yellow portal apron for the best homemade desert. We also have a Maryland cookbook set,and a couple of dutch oven cookbooks to give away. Not a lot of young kids yet, I thought swimming would sell itself but I picked up a couple of Maryland coloring books.
    In the works, hope to bring a couple of flavors of homemade ice cream for the meet and greet. One of my scouts is planning to talk to wildlife department to see if we can get a person to come out to show us some birds(usually injured or endangered)i forget the name of the program.

I Hope this early planning pays off.