Thinking of a new TV

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by NorcrossFlyer, Jan 3, 2019.

1. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    Current equipment:

Jayco 264 bhw (Roughly 5k lbs with all my gear, water, etc)
    2013 Ford F-150 XLT with the 5L V8

Camping style:

Check my signature.......lots of nights and very long hauls.

My problems:

The kids HAAAAATE the backseat. It really is terrible. The seat back is nearly vertical and there is no support. Front seat kind of sucks too.

The engine is just adequate. On level ground at 65-70mph I'm turning just over 2k rpms in 5th (of 6) gear. Almost any kind of incline (even ones you can't detect with your eyes) will put me in 4th and a higher rpm and I spend a lot of time here. It is loud.

Dangerous trailer sway is controlled. In all the miles I have traveled with this rig I've never been in a truly unsafe situation. Some wind gusts and turbulence from trucks have caught me by surprise but that is about it. What I can feel is all the stress and motion from the trailer. It isn't moving the truck but you can feel it trying to. It is uncomfortable.

Gas mileage sucks. If I average 10.5mpg I'm super happy but that doesn't happen all the time. I have a 26 gallon tank which means I'm filling up every 220 to 240 miles. That is frustrating on a long drive. I used to get about 16 mpg with this truck when hauling my pup and I feel bad now thinking back to when I grumbled about it. One time we drove from Gallup, NM to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon with the pup but that would be dangerous with my current set up because I wouldn't have enough gas to do it and there are almost no gas stations along the route. I remember reaching Tuba City, AZ with a quarter tank left and that was the first opportunity to fuel up.

Overall I feel this truck is more than enough truck for towing a trailer my size occasionally or for shorter hauls. But we don't do that so I'm thinking about my options.

What I would like:

Seats with more support, comfort. The ability to recline the rear seats to some extent.

A drivetrain that can haul my trailer in its highest gear on a level surface.

I'm not asking for 20+ mpg but something better than 10mpg would be nice.

The ability to get 300-400+ miles out of a tank of gas via better gas mileage and/or a bigger tank.

A diesel engine (?). I've become pretty skilled at getting around the unleaded pumps at most gas stations but having the option to pull in to the truck lanes at a Flying J or whatever is really appealing.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm guessing my answer is a F-250, Ram 2500, etc. I think some models of the Ram have the reclining rear seat but I'm not sure if the Ford or any other make does. Toyota used to offer it but they discontinued it a few years ago. Do I have any hope of getting a better mpg with a more powerful engine or is this limitation driven mostly by the fact that the front of the trailer acts like a big sail and will stress any truck? I would think a truck that is designed to haul 15k safely wouldn't even register something that weighs 5k, but I don't know.

Appreciate all suggestions.

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I have a '13 Ram 3500 diesel. I get 22 empty, 22 with the pup, 14 with the hybrid and 11 with the 5th wheel. That being said, I got the 11 in AZ mountains on cruise control set at 65. My rear seats don't lean back, but my grandkids didn't complain about lack of comfort. My expedition gets 11 towing the hybrid, but has 3 rows of seats that do recline. Hope this info helps.

bearman512 likes this.
  3. NorcrossFlyer

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    I find that kind of hilarious. Wait, is there something following me????

Your hybrid is probably similar to my TT in terms of wind deflection and probably close in weight...........so that is interesting. If I got 14mpg with my F-150 that would extend my range (theoretically) by 104 miles.

This is good info........thanks!

4. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    Would you consider an SUV? The Expedition is now a V6 with a turbo, and has a 10 speed transmission. It will tow about 9000 lbs. I'll let you look up the GCVW and such, but should be adequate for a TT. Every row reclines. You do lose the truck bed, and if you want to carry gear while using the third row, you’d probably be happier in a Max model.

I won’t have any real world experience in a modern Expedition (mine’s a 2004) until my order comes in in March or April, but I expect it to perform excellently.

The newer F-150’s, of course, have 10 speed transmissions as well, with turbo charged engine options available to boot. The rear seats still aren’t adjustable, though.

5. NorcrossFlyer

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    I'm not opposed to a SUV as it would be way more comfortable but I would have to find a new solution for carrying bikes. Putting a bike rack on the back of a TT is frowned upon my most rack manufacturers and highly dangerous unless you have a reinforced bumper. I'm currently using a tailgate pad and it works awesome and still allows room for my monster gray water tank.

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Yeah the first time I pulled the pup, I checked several times to make sure it was still there. My hybrid must be pretty close to your TT it's 22 ft long (closed) and weighs right at 5500 lbs. Mileage was the same when I had a 32 ft TT that weighted 7000 lbs. I'm sure it's the "pulling a wall" effect.

7. NorcrossFlyer

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    My TT is just shy of 30' stem to stern but I don't have any slides so the weight out of the factory with propane, appliances and furniture is only 4755 lbs. I might be able to pull off 14-16 mpg with a big diesel.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    The problem about MPG is there is more to play in those numbers than just your camper. The terrain, wind, traffic and other factors also come into play. So someone else with the same setup may have different numbers. I have no experience with diesel so not sure if mpg would be different with that. Personally I would think the same factors would come into play even with that.

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    IMO, a 30ft TT is getting into 3/4 or 1 ton territory.

With current fuel prices, 14-16 mpg with a diesel costs about the same amount of money for fuel as a gasser getting 10-12 mpg.

kcsa75, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    When considering the difference between gas or diesel. Think about this..
    What percentage of your miles will be for towing? Compare maintaince cost gas verse diesel, oil change with oil and fuel filters well over $150.
    The only advantage diesel has over gas is power and a few mpg when towing.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Plus you gotta factor in the upcharge for a diesel option.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Price of a diesel plus extra for fuel would not make it more cost efficient. Your truck is older, i think a newer 1500 would be good enough. Your not going to get great fuel ecconomy from a truck hauling weight. You could add an extra fuel tank, but why bother? My gmc is nice. It gets 12 to 14 for the milage, but has power and comfort. Back seat im not too sure as i dont ride back there, but no complaints. My pop up is only 3200 lbs.

xxxapache and neighbormike like this.
  13. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro New Member

Dec 27, 2018
    I would agree with Sjm9911 that the extra maintenance for a diesel and overall costs probably isn't worth it.

The 5.0 in the F-150 isn't a great motor to haul with and the 5.4 gas motor is even worse. Unreliable, gas guzzlers with no power. I've worked on a fleet of 5.4l fords and ever since they switched to GM trucks, it's been huge. Diesels I'd probably only look at Chevy's, they have a good trans and motor. All the guys with Dodge's I know are on their third trans or so (Each replacement trans is 5K to replace and 10K to get it done so it doesn't fail again). Ford motor's are OK but have good transmissions.

I would agree with the expedition as being a good option with the ecoboost. That kind of towing capacity is good and Ford's have excellent transmission reliability.

Any truck back seat you will find to not be the most comfortable on long rides, hence the suggestion for something like an Expedition or maybe even a Tahoe/Suburban.

These are things to think about I think, but what do I know, I tow a 500 lbs camper with a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. :grin: I've just worked on a lot of 3/4 ton trucks.

Best of luck in your choice.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Additionally, after reading the last post, the 2500s are not as nice to drive in. Heavy suspension, worse on fuel , and drive like , well trucks. I remembered a few guys at work that downsized for that reason. The 1500s drive nice, like luxury cars. It will be something to think about.

TinyCamperPro likes this.
  15. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    As shaman1 said! I have a 2500 Megacab and the seats recline to a very comfortable position. Mine is a 4x4 and if you get a 2x4 version you will get about 2-3 more miles per gallon. My grandkids love travelling in it.
    Don't fret the wives tails about maintenance I have 70+ K trouble free miles on my current Cummins and spend $30-$40 more per oil change if I don't do it myself been running Cummins for over 20 years.

NorcrossFlyer likes this.
  16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I sell parts for a major box store auto supplier. Don't know how you can get a $30-40 or more filter change. Sold a set yesterday to include air for a 3500 Ram minus oil...$159. Rotela is $18gal, this is conventional oil. The syn's are even more, and it takes somewhere around 3 gal.
    Do a gasser for $32. Mobil 1 with a premium filter.

xxxapache likes this.
  17. bearman512

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    "$30-$40 more per oil change"
    Local Ram dealership here in ABQ. $75 + tax

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    xxxapache likes this.
  18. NorcrossFlyer

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    The current spread between gas and diesel is pretty crazy right now. It is (was) nearly $1 in some places but this isn't the norm.

But your math is probably generally correct. That being said, all things price being equal, I would rather get more range for the dollar.

19. NorcrossFlyer

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    Good question. In 2018 I towed the TT nearly 5,500 miles which probably accounts for half or just less than half of the total miles driven. Without any load I average about 17-18 mpg which isn't great.

20. bearman512

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    17-18 MPG in a older F-150 with the 5.0 is respectable newer ones don't do much better even the Ecoboost which is worse while towing for fuel economy but they can pull as good as the 3.0 ram only difference is the highway mileage is closer to 27 mpg versus the Ecoboost claim of 26. These specs are tested at 55MPH not 65-75MPH my Ram 2500 4x4 gets 22 if I dive between 55-60.