Thinking on buying a 2004 Rockwood Roo 19 FT

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Ctniners, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

We went today to a RV dealer to find a newer popup..we currently have an old 91 beat up jayco and we want something newer...so

They had only brand new ones for 10k plus or big campers....the owner told us that he is getting in next week a 2004 Rockwood Roo 19 FT.....he said the price will be $5,500

Since our SUV cannot pull over 3,500 lbs and our budget is about $5,000 here are my questions:

Any experiences with this exact model?

Is that a good price?

In terms of hybrids given our SUV issues and our budget issues is that as good that money can buy?

Like us many in this site are camping this weekend so we got to see a 19 FT Palomino and comparing to a regular popup we find it to be a nice upgrade......any inputs??

Thanks a lotfor the help!

2. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke New Member

I don't know about a 2004 Roo but we just took delivery on out 2014 Roo. One thing that jumps out for me on this post is the weight you can tow. Our 2014 weighs in at 3648lb without any gear, so this may be a limiting factor.

Sorry I cannot comment on much else from your post.

3. candleems

candleems Member

I think the Roo will be too heavy for you. The 2005 17ft is 3800 lbs. Safety first.

4. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

Really?.....he said the shipping weight was in the 2,000 range...I cant seem to find actual specs of a 2004 Rockwood Roo...I didnt know it was that heavy...if it is then yes, there is no way I can get it....it would be a shame cause it does look nice.

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

RV Dealers will use the "shipping weight" aka "Dry Weight" to get someone to buy something that they can't necessarily tow safely. You do not camp with the camper at the dry weight, you camp with the total Gross Vehicle Weight, which is likely well over the 3500lb limit. Don't forget that the 3500lb limit on your tow vehicle likely includes the cargo (aka passengers).

Doesn't sound like you should be towing the Roo.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Have to agree, Most if not all Hybrids will be over your #3500 lbs of the van... Majority of hybrids (HTT's) will have a gvwr closer to the 5000lb mark ...

7. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

I guess i will call them once they have it to verify the weight but it is not looking good...and with gas prices we refuse to upgrade to a bigger truck.....so what do you guys think....because of my issues i guess im stuck with popups correct?....thanks again for all the inputs

8. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

You will be "stuck" with a rig that, in addition to the passengers that you have with you, and the GVWR of the trailer, totals out to less than 3500lbs.

Be sure you ask them for the loaded weight, and not dry/shipping weight. That is, if you cannot find the information on the web. Looks like Forest River rates the newer ones at close to 5,000 loaded up.
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/Roo/default.aspx?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4005

There is no doubt, you should not be towing that camper.

9. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

Thsnks but what i mean by it is that anything with a hard shell willl be over my 3,500 lbs limit correct?

Is just hard to find dealers with popups unless they are brand new at over $10k

10. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

You'll have to look at the specs. But please don't forget that your 3500 tow rating includes the cargo and passengers in your vehicle as well. We just sold our 07 Williamsburg for $7500, and if you look around, there are plenty available on Craigslist in the CT, MA, NH area. Being willing to travel a bit for the camper will open up more options as well.

11. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Everyone has given you good info at this point, but I'm curious because you don't say, what exactly is your current tow vehicle?

12. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

Sorry, didnt think about mentioning the actual brand and model...It is a 2004 Acura MDX Touring

13. RockyRoo

Ahhh, ok. For that vehicle I would also check out the max tongue weight. It is likely going to have a pretty soft suspension. The 19 may have too much tongue weight for an MDX. Just something else to think about.

14. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

Excerpt from a MDX site:

Acura says that MDX can tow a 4,500-boat, or a 3,500-pound trailer with a tongue weight of 450 pounds. That kind of towing capability is normally considered a truck trait.

what does that mean?...do I add 450 + 3,500 or minus 3,500 - 450??

15. RockyRoo

LOL gotta love truth in advertising laws don't ya? not exactly accurate information.

The 450 pounds is the force it is putting on your rear suspension, so it comes out of your payload rating and how much you can load into the MDX. The heavier the tongue weight, the less cargo/fewer people you can carry directly in the MDX. Doesn't directly reflect on the trailer, but when you start talking combined vehicle weights it all plays in.

The numbers can be confusing. Unfortunately everyone else was right, a 19 is going to be too much for the MDX. Even if you could find one that weighed in at 3000 to 3500 pounds, it is far too close to the weight limit to be safe, or good for the vehicle. Honestly, an Acura MDX is far too expensive of a vehicle to destroy as quickly as you would do so by overloading or even loading right to the limit like that. You would be better served by taking the thousands of dollars you would be doing over the next few years in repairs and just investing them into a dedicated tow vehicle that was much more capable. It might not be as nice, but it would be much safer.

16. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

Before I purchased my pup, the dealer had me 98% convinced to buy a hybrid. He swore my Dakota was more than capable of pulling the 4500 lbs weight. Gut was telling me no. I went with the pup instead (3500 GVWR), and glad I did. My truck has 5000 lbs max tow rating, 4500+passengers+cargo=TROUBLE.

Yeah, the hybrid would have been AWESOME, but buying a new tranny, engine, etc. Not so much...

17. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

Thanks for the great info....i guess i will just another popup...we dont feel like investing in a truck only to pull a camper....thanks again...i guess im not going to the dark side after all!