Those w/ outdoor sinks and/or who removed sink in PUP - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by brich208, Mar 6, 2018.

1. brich208

brich208 Member

Jul 6, 2016
    I'm going back and forth on the idea of removing the swing-up galley from our '88 Coleman and coming up with an outdoor sink solution. Thinking getting something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tricam-M...-Cleaning-Table-150-lb-Load-Capacity/45032624

In the times we've used the PUP (in the backyard and once last year) we never used the sink or stove inside the PUP. We did all our cooking on a Coleman tailgate grill.

Typing out loud... With two kids (6 and 3) we'd love the extra storage we could get w/o the galley and I have a hard time seeing us ever using the indoor stove - and possibly even the sink.

Just looking for some thoughts on what's worked for you.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    The indoor sink is good for hand washing and brushing teeth. I went from tent camping to pop up camping so the sink is a nice convenience.

3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I pulled my sink out, in fact we don't use any water system at all in the pup. We use a 7 gallon aquatainer that is set on the end of the picnic table for getting drinks of water and so on. For dish and other washing, we have two plastic tubs, about 15" x 12" that dishes fit in, one for washing and one for rinsing. After meals, we heat water in our coffee pot on the stove and then wash dishes and clean up the tables and counters. We typically do this once a day, but sometimes twice depending upon how we do meals.

We always head to the bathroom in the evening before bed and can wash up there if needed. We fill up the aquatainer maybe once a day if needed. We have tremendous storage space in the camper and it is very easy for up / down instead of the folding over of the sink like we had to do before. It is a bit of a different way of thinking vs. using a sink, but it works great for our family and we have 7 kids (not that many camping with us now).

Tracy D. likes this.
  4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Having a indoor sink is a great convenience. I use it for dish washing, teeth cleaning and washing face & hands. I have both hot and cold water so if I have outdoor sink, it would only be cold water.

I try to avoid washing dishes by grilling food on firepit.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I have never used the fridge, water or heat in my '84. Never been the boondockin type, always have water and power someplace onsite. If that watertank wasn't so well attached to mine, I'd remove them. ALMOST started a remodel before going dark. Happy I left things as is. Next folks might want them...

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    This is one of those things that is personal preference. We removed the sinks in both of our popups. The popups were small, the sinks tiny, and counter space much more useful. (We kept the sinks and plumbing and gave them to the new owners when we sold the pups.) Add to that the fact that neither camper had a gray water tank, so we'd have been dealing with a pail for that anyway. We actually tried using the sink for a while with out first popup, and realized it was far more trouble than it was worth.
    We had a good dish pan and gray water pail set-up from tenting days, as well as a good routine for heating water up on a stove. We use the same RV dish pans these days, whether we're washing inside the TT or outside in a kitchen set-up. We still use the gray water pail too, on most trips. If we take the TT out without de-winterizing it, we revert to only heating water on the stove.

Tracy D. likes this.
  7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I didn't have an outdoor sink on the pup but wish I'd have that over the one inside. When cooking I always ran a bit of water out of the blue jug and eneded up with a mud spot under it. Having a sink to contain it will be a dream.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I must be some kind of different bird because I use the sink & stove every time we camp. We always have a pot of coffee before we go outside and Breakfast is mostly cooked inside. This means using the sink for brushing teeth, coffee and rising cookware. I could also use an outdoor sink next to the stove.

Halford likes this.
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I love having a sink inside. Use it for washing hands and face, brushing teeth and telling the ice maker. I added a faucet with a hose in the faucet which makes it much easier to fill things.

I would love an outdoor sink and how to have something worked up by summer.

10. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I use the sink for washing hands and brushing teeth. I removed my stove, added a drawer in its place and made a new counter top.

11. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    Hi We have the Cabelas version of the outdoor sink, which we use whenever we have hookups, I love it especially since we cook exclusively outside.
    We do use the indoor sink for brushing teeth, washing face and hands before bed etc.
    We don't use our indoor stove, So I place a piece of 1/4 plexiglass over it held with velcro.

Good Luck

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    We use our Aliner regardless of weather (was 3F when we headed south in Jan) and do lots of overnight stops, so we often don't set up much outside. We use the inside sink/stove/fridge/furnace all the time. In nice weather we'll cook outside, but we since we seem to camp more in Jan/Feb than Jul/Aug, it's often not that nice out. ;)

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    The sink it my Jayco was not much bigger than a spit sink found in the dentist office and the faucet/hand pump nearly worthless. So for that camper I just brought a plastic wash tub and washed dishes outside. However I used that sink a lot to dump gray water and for use of clean ups in the camper. Between the dogs and kiddo something needed to be cleaned up. My new to me popup has a much bigger and usable sink that I use if it's fowl weather outside. I still prefer my wash basin in good weather as I could spread out and didn't have to worry about splashing.

14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I am not saying that I have done this but you can pee in a cup and dump it down the sink.

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

you may be a redneck

nhlakes and CamperChrissy like this.
  16. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Would that in turn still be gray water, black water, or fall somewhere in the middle - let's say yellow water?

jnc likes this.
  17. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I have a sink table nearly identical to the one you linked. It works great for us! Our PUP sink is very tiny and has the manual pump lever - we used it once and it was so small and such a pain to use, that we never bothered again.

I have the sink table and a large gray water tote that sits underneath. We can hook it up to the water supply, if we have one at the campsite. I also have a fresh water tank that you can hook up. I rigged up a foot pedal using a siphon so that you can pump water from the fresh tank up and out the faucet. Pretty proud of my engineering there : ) I also like having the sink outside because then I can assign the kids to wash dishes and it doesn't matter if they splash everywhere.

WP_20170520_16_39_08_Rich (4)-min.jpg

However I have not removed the sink from the PUP. Only because I'm hoping to upgrade to a larger PUP soon, so I don't want to modify the existing one and hurt it's resale value.

JPBar likes this.
  18. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Nice to have outdoor sink but that adds to set up and clean up, and storage space. the sink in Niagara is big enough for dishwashing so I use it all the time also for brushing teeth, face washing, washing hands and etc etc. NO PEEEEEEEEING in it.

Natureangel likes this.
  19. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Good point, true the outside sink is one more thing to haul around and set up. Not ideal. But for us with our current PUP, it's the best option.

Good to know Niagara's have a big sink. That's one of the models I'd like to have!

20. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    what I mean by "big" is popup "big". Not like the restaurant "big"

check Utah as well, I do not know if it has "big" sink like Niagara does.