Thousand Trails "Zone Pass"

Discussion in 'Private Campgrounds' started by LjohnSaw, Feb 28, 2012.

1. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Jun 24, 2011
    Northern California
    I bought a Zone Pass last year right after I got my Pup. The going rate at the park near me (6,000' elevation in the Sierras) is $42/night with water and 30 amp service. The NF is $20-28 without any hookups. The place is very clean and no noise during quiet time is tolerated. Both pluses to me. Anyhow, the pass was $499 for a "Zone". Mine being CA, NV, AZ, NM and CO. Now, there isn't much choice in NM and CO and AZ/NV is pretty sparse as well. I've stayed in two parks and visited one down my Yosemite. My "breakeven" point was 11 nights and I made it through 18 so far (renew in June) so I figure I'm way ahead of the game - getting down to the NF price WITH hookups.

Well, I got a flyer in the mail, but it seems available to all - if you buy before March 9, you get a second zone for free. You can also pay on time, less than $42/month. You get 30 nights for "free" and then $3/night after that. I'm assuming that the second zone comes with 30 nights as well.

So, what are the drawbacks? You have to commit for 2 years. The two campgrounds near me (and probably more), you can NOT have a campfire (how un-American!) except at the group fire pit usually on Saturday night. They even disallow BBQs (wood or charcoal powered). That really puts a damper on DO cooking.

Now, even with those big drawbacks, I'm considering renewing... But I have a question for the fellow Pup'ers up north. Does anyone in OR, WA, ID or WY belong to TT? If so, because you are greener than CA, do you have restrictions in TT campgrounds on fires? It sure looks pretty up there and I'd like to make some trips. The piece of mind TT offers is great - you know what you are headed for and you know they police the place. There is a number of CGs along the Oregon and Washington coast and a few in by the lakes. The staff is wonderful as well (from what I've encountered) and they have some pretty good kids activities (I have a 8 year old son).

Or - is this a sign that TT is going under offering this amazing deal?

Thanks all!

Disclaimer - I do not nor intend to work for TT and I'm not making anything off of this information (unless you name me as a referral [:D] - I think I'd get about $10 whole dollars! [LOL] [LOL])

2. Alyshabishabobisha

Alyshabishabobisha New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I just bought our pass last week (2 zones B1G1). I live in CA and it's worth it for us. Most of the places we want to go to are almost always booked so far in advance, we can never get in. Plus they usually don't have water/electric and right now our pup needs to have both :) Last year we just stayed at TT campgrounds w/o the pass and it was around 60-70 per night (can't remember the exact amount). Anyways a weekend getaway was costing us a small fortune...so now with the membership it seems we can go a lot more and without the stress of finding a campground :)

Also when we stayed at the Yosemite Lakes campground, we had a fire..if that answers your question :) However the time of year may have been a factor?

3. Alyshabishabobisha

Alyshabishabobisha New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    OH and the things they have for kids to do is amazing! They always have crafts or movie night and usually a pool....I <3 it. I really hope they don't go under!!

4. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Jun 24, 2011
    Northern California
    I visited Yosemite Lakes on our way out of Yosemite last year. They said fires were OK on the ground when not too dry and then if you have a burn barrel setup, almost anytime. I have a wash tub from a washing machine to mount on a pedestal and then I would be good most places.

The problem I have up here by Sacramento is the ones within a short drive don't allow fires at ANY time, even in the winter [?:~{]