Time for new tires.

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by cam_1100, Aug 1, 2018.

1. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    I'm guessing this one is bad...

Noticed it a day AFTER getting back from a trip. I was pulling out of the driveway to take the PUP back to the storage yard and thought, "Is something stuck to the tire??". Luckily, no damage done. New tires are already on the way to replace the pair. Judging by the date code (2102), these were the originals from 16 years ago.

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Wow! Glad you caught it at home.

Where did you order the replacements from?

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

OMG 16 years!

Ours were about 5 years old but we were doing a vacation to the Black Hills this year so I replaced them. Didn't want a blowout on the way or in the hills. On the drive there, we saw a pop-up with a blow-out, on I-90, in a construction zone where it was down to one narrow lane. And the guy was laying under the camper trying to change it, with his feet out in the traffic lane. Freaked me out.

4. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    Wow. Glad you made it back first. Are those Duros? Got 12 yrs out of my Duros. They started to dry rot. Wanted to put more on but had a hard time locating them. Got some Loadstars from etrailer. Hope they hold up as well.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Wow. That's crazy! Thanks for the picture.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Price tires from Wallys and Eastern Marine

7. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    Yeah, they are Duros. I did find some but figured I should go with something easier to get so matching replacements are easier to find. I ended up ordering Kenda Loadstars from a dealer in Ohio through Amazon.

It seems I am near the upper limits of the tires available in this size for my PUP (185/80D13 - LRD). There weren't many options in a 13" tire that width with a D-range rating.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    So...got the new tires and both of them look like they were stored badly and one of the sidewalls on each tire looks like it got "popped out" somehow. It's not a bulge or bubble....the ENTIRE sidewall is protruding. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I'm wondering if I mount it and inflate it if it will correct itself, but I don't want to go through that hassle if it's truly bad.

This is the "good" side...kind of what I expect an unmounted tire to look like:
    This is the protruding sidewall:

This is the top view for comparison. It even causes the tread pattern to be uneven:

9. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    That ain't right... Lol

10. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    Mounted one of the wonky Kendas. It was a bear to get the beads seated, but once it's properly inflated it doesn't look too bad. I put the "popped out" side on the outside so it would be easier to keep an eye on, but if I didn't know that I would have a hard time figuring out which side was which. So I think they'll be okay. My guess is they were stored flat in a stack and kind of settled on each other. Getting air in them seemed to get them back to normal.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Yes stored on top on each other, I would worry about the balance.

12. tfischer

When I replaced my tires earlier this summer, I found it was cheaper just to order new rims from eTrailer with the tires pre-mounted, than it was to have them mounted locally on my old rims. Seems very wasteful, but what do you do? I gave away my old rims... the guy was going to use one rim & tire as a spare.

13. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    I mounted these myself. I've been mounting my own motorcycle tires for many years, but I gotta say the trailer tire was a lot tougher because of the much taller and stiffer sidewalls. I got them in the end and with what I know now the next time will go better. Even still....it might be worth just paying for pre-mounted tires. :grin:

14. tfischer

That's cool... i'm not equipped to do that unfortunately. It surprised me that they wanted $20 per tire to do that though... even if I bought the tires directly from them. I was originally looking at Sams or Discount Tire but ended up going "mail order" due to this.

I did pay a local shop to balance them, but I think I'll skip this in the future. The one wheel they didn't do anything to at all, and the other only has a very small weight. I'm sure its negligible.

cam_1100 likes this.
  15. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    This is the same reason I started doing my own motorcycle tires. I was going through 2-3 sets of tires a year on my various bikes and started adding up all the $20-$40/tire payouts and started looking for other options. I got a cheap tire mounting stand and motorcycle adapter from Harbor Fright for less than $100 and it paid for itself the first season I used it. That was 15 years ago...no telling how much it has saved me since then.

I did some research to see if I needed to balance the trailer tires. Basically found out that trailer tires are rarely balanced because of how they are designed to work and the fact that the small vibrations from a wheel being out of balance aren't noticed because no one is riding in the camper. I can't recall ever seeing a trailer tire with weights on it (not that I was really looking), but if you check the racks at the stores, none of those are balanced and I don't recall seeing any notices/instructions to get them balanced before use.

Car tires are balanced primarily for smoother ride (for the passengers) and to reduce wear from vibrations on steering and drive train components. These don't really apply to trailer tires. The one thing an out of balance tire may affect is the wear pattern, but I think proper tire inflation plays a much bigger role than a minor imbalance in the wheel.*

*I'm no expert on tires/mounting/balancing, so take my comments as my personal opinion

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    As flimsy and as cheaply as campers are built, I want it to have a smooth ride, also. It doesn't take much vibration to loosen staples in 3/4" x 1" framework. Just my opinion.

17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I read that premounted tires and wheels are typically "balanced" by positioning the "heavy point" of the tire 180 degrees from the heavy point on the wheel.

When I replaced the tires on the Pup last year, I did what you did. Ordered tire/wheel combos then had them balanced before putting them on the trailer. Neither tire took much weight, but it cost about $15 IIRC and helped me sleep better at night. [:)C]

18. tfischer

I posted a question thread on the topic here at the time, and the majority said I should get it done (a few strong contrarian "there's absolutely no need" votes notwithstanding). eTrailer, where I bought the tires/wheels, also recommended it. But like I said above, it seems to have made little if any difference other than a slightly thinner wallet, so I probably wouldn't do it again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018