Tire blowouts

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Harrisds9880, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Ok now we know what the culprit of 2 blowouts... [LOL]

2. Halford

did you have 2 blowouts on one side of camper?

3. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yes both were on the same side

4. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Wow hope this does not happen to you again. I use some old plastic trash can lids that I had laying around to cover cover the tires to protect from the suns rays. Only 13 inch wheels so they work real well they cover the tire, and they tuck under the wheel well and don't blow away. I think your camper has 14 inch wheels, there are some load rage E rated tires available. If it were me I would replace all 3 for peace of mine. Good Luck!!

5. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    The wife and I have been discussing that, looking at several different tires, reading the reviews, but replacing all 3 even though we will be getting a new rim and tire through the insurance as that one is MIA.

6. Halford

Ok now that makes more sense... 2 blowouts on one side. the 1st one may have damaged the lugs some and then the 2nd one utterly broke off the damaged lugs. Just my unproved theory but I could be wrong.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I saw a brand new fifth wheel come rolling into a campground with a spare on each side. Owner said he had a blowout, put on his spare, had another blowout and had to borrow his buddy's spare.

8. Halford

Try eTrailer.com

9. giadiep

giadiep Member

Sep 5, 2015
    My guess is that either the bearings were bad or the brakes were somehow engaged on that side. It was causing the heat to build up on that wheel and tire. Basically, after 2 hours of heat buildup, the first tire failed. The second tire failed after 2 hours of heat buildup, only this time, it took out the wheel and lugs because of the combined impact of the 2 tire failures. Something else is going on that caused the failures.

10. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    2 hrs into trip sounds like heat is building up. On same side too. Odds are pretty slim Lugs working loose 2 times. I'd put my money on excessive brake drag or a bearing. Overtighten axle (castle)nut. I've had a coupla wheels go flying into the toolies and the cause was bearings. The bad one is when you snap a spindle. keep us posted when you find out

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Before you started driving to the CG did you notice any out of the ordinary wear on your tire? It could be that your axle is bent and your wheel isn't tracking properly, causing heat build or or more likely just wearing the tire rapidly. When you get new tires take a close look at how your wheels are sitting. Is the side that blew out sitting differently than the side that did not? When I bought my trailer it had the original tires on it, 9 years old. First thing I noticed was how badly they tires were wearing, the inside half of both tires looked horrible leading me to believe the PO was overloading the camper. If one side had worn on the inside like that but the other side was normal I would have been concerned that the axle was bent.

12. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    You did not state how fast you were pulling the camper, tires have a speed rating on them (example my is 65 mph). Not saying that is what happened, but may have contributed to the tires failing. Hope you get it fixed soon so you can get back to camping!!

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    That sounds a bit under pressure depending on the tires... Mine run at 60 psi, previous tires ran at 90 psi.

14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    48 does sound low for a trailer tire.

15. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Depends on the tire used on the Rockwood, but sounds right to me. The 13in tires on the Bayport were max 50 PSI. And the 14in tires on our current Niagara HW are 50 psi.

16. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    This time the Customer is right.....

17. mandinga

mandinga Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Ottawa, ontario
    For what's it's worth, my friend bought two tires for his pup from Costco last summer. I'm not sure of the brand. He got an email this week stating that they are being recalled because they have a tendency to shread and blowout.

18. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    If I understand correctly, you didn't recover the tire and wheel? If so, how do you know it was a blowout and not a puncture from the tire wobbling around and hitting something like a suspension bolt?