Tire brand and your experience?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by AFramed!, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:19 AM.

1. AFramed!

AFramed! New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I have read posts regarding tires, their origin, age and worth. Good information. I am currently looking for tires and still unsure what most feel is the right brand? (Loaded question there I know....) I need ST185/80R13's and am thinking radial due to more paved road time and distance travel. Any suggestions or a shove towards a recent thread in brand preference that I overlooked ? Thanks

2. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I just replaced my Kenda with Carlisle, only been on for a few months. Trailer pulls good no issues yet. The Kenda's were factory originals replaced after 3 years one developed a large bubble. Which ever brand you buy check the date of manufacture on the tire, would suggest you get load range D on which ever brand you purchase. Good luck

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I just purchased a pair of these to replace the tires on my Pup when I bought it.
    Loadstar ST Radial Tire and Wheel (Rim) Assembly ST175/80R-13 5 Hole C Ply
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/37310364

I ordered online and had them delivered to the store. Then took them to the automotive department and had them balanced. Neither of the tires that were on the camper had been balanced and one was really showing uneven wear.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    I have used both Kenda and Duro brand tires is the same size you are looking for.. Satisfied with both..

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I had the same Kendas on my Apache for 8 years. Never a problem. I have had Carlisles in the TT for 2 years. No problems.

Any brand will likely give good service if you keep them properly inflated. Using covers will also extend the life.

6. Although my size is a little narrower than yours, I have been running these bias-ply Kenda Loadstars for a couple of years and am happy with them. Make sure you get a load range that is appropriate for your camper weight and, if you get the wheels with them, make sure the center hole and lug pattern is correct.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM31233.html

7. AFramed!

AFramed! New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Great info THANKS! Radial vs. bias? Radials run cooler I am told but etrailer (trustworthy source) only sells bias. Mine are Load rated D and 8ply radials. Anyone have insight there?

Natureangel likes this.
  8. mstrbill

mstrbill Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    etrailer may be surprised to know that:

13in Radial tires at etrailer

theseus likes this.
  9. Halford

Halford Active Member

I have Goodyear Marathon radials on and happy with it. 50psi max and does well.

10. RetAF

RetAF Member

Apr 22, 2010
    If you need load range D (8 ply) you will have to go with a bias-ply tire. There are no radials in that size and load capacity. I've been running bias-ply Loadstars from eTrailer for years and they are great tires.

11. Adam H

Adam H Member

Aug 22, 2015
  12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Etrailer carries that size and load range in radials

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM3S334.html

I just swapped from radial back to bias-ply. Personally I like how they pull better.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    Fless likes this.
  13. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    A bias ply generally does far less, if any, damage if it blows out compared to a radial.

14. AFramed!

AFramed! New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    My bad...... I didn't realize the Q&A I was reading on etrailer was tire specific regarding bias only. Thanks for the heads up. Still learning, obviously. After reading reviews till my head spins as fast as my 13 inch wheels in tow, I have pretty much decided it's about how one cares for the correct tire for the trailer as well as timely replacement that keeps it rolling, less of course a manuafactures error, which all seem to have at some point. The days of old with a pitched tent did require far less maintanence....but nothing beats a heated queen size bed mattress in the woods![ALPU][PUT]

15. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    /My%20Downloads/Amazon.com%20%20Carlisle%20Radial%20Trail%20HD%20Trailer%20Radial%20Tire%20-%20185_80R13%2099M%20%20Automotive.html Don't know how to upload this file. But i am looking at these for mine.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 8:17 AM
  16. Make sure that your wheels can handle the max psi that these tires can, especially if you want to inflate the tires to max pressure for the highest load capacity. It should be stamped on the wheel somewhere.

Also, regular valve stems are typically good to 65psi; anything above that requires a higher pressure capable valve stem.

17. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I would put in metal valve stems.

18. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    X2 on the metal valve stems

19. The tires I got from eTrailer included wheels and rubber valve stems. Max pressure 65 psi. If I was to mount different tires on the wheels I'd probably have metal valve stems put on them for extra measure.

20. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I put new tires on my TT the year before last. I put in brand new rubber stems. On one trip, I was getting ready to hook up to come home. I found a flat. I pumped it up. It held air for over a week with no loss. I kept looking for the cause of the leak. I found if I pushed the valve stem to the side it would leak. That was enough for me. I put in bolt in metal stems.....A rubber valve stem can blow out if the wheel. A bolted in metal one won't come out from the front.