Tire PSI, what the store said vs what you experts will say.....

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Nicole721, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Nicole721

Nicole721 New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Getting ready to head out tomorrow and put new tires on last year. This is our first trip for the summer (yeah I know we're late in the game). We don't recall what psi we had at last year.

Tire said 80psi cold. This is on a small popup. Seems pretty high, our regular tire gauges only go up to 50, so we may need to go get a new gauge. Called the tire place and asked if we really should inflate to 80psi. They said no, that is cold psi. They would not even inflate to 50, as they said with hot weather and also road friction will increase temperature.

What is everyone's thoughts? Current temperate is upper 80's outside.

From searching the forums people do say that they should inflate to what the tire would say, but any thoughts on the outside temp and road friction?

Thank you!

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have three trailers. I run my trailer tires at max sidewall pressure, including my little trailer that has 80 psi tires on it.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Run what the sidewall says. by running the tire at 50psi, you are running it low, and this will create more heat

4. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Always max sidewall pressure... Do yourself a favor and never use that tire shop again... I wouldn't trust them with anything

5. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Most will say max listed on sidewall, as will the manufacture. I do run mine 5psi lower for a couple reasons, especially for long hot summer tows. But in general, trailer tires are meant to be run at max listed pressure.

6. Nicole721

Nicole721 New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Heading out to get new gauge and will inflate to 80. I think issue is that we’re used to vehicle tires around 40 or so and that’s why 80 seemed ridiculous.

7. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I think the 80 psi just freaks people out when they're running their vehicle tires at 32 to 35lbs... but have no fear, they won't explode !!!!

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Max psi.....always! The number one reason for blowouts is running trailer tires too low which causes heat and stress on the tire.

myride likes this.
  9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Nevermind what the "quack" from the tire store said.....obviously he's in the wrong business.....follow manufacturers recommendation. ..if it say 80 cold....inflate to 80 cold.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Everyone will say max ........ but whats the Max weight of the trailer then look the tire specs on there website. It should give you the load spec per air pressure. You should be able find a happy medium.

As an example (maybe a poor one) . An old VW beetle with the engine in the rear. Had the seem size tires front and rear. The rears were inflated to 24 psi and the fronts 16 psi. You say thats crazy, its not. 24 psi in the front tires with no weight on them would make the beetle wander all over the place. So it does matter the load per pressure.

Just to add....did you ever hear of chalking a tire? Look it up.

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If you post the trailer max weight and the tire size you have. I should be able to find some specs for you.

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
  13. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Why on earth would anyone take the chance of tire failure from under inflating? The manufacturer lists the psi for a reason. Car tires are not the same as trailer tires... Do not run anything other than max rated psi.

xxxapache likes this.
  14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The trailer manufacturer who made the trailer or the tire manufacturer who tells you how much air the tire will hold?
    The recommended pressure may be the tire max capacity. They built the trailer with tires that would just get by.
    Inflating to the max may cause overinflation and the center of the thread wear out before the edges, poor tire footprint, and a hard ride.

15. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Always use tire manufacturers rated max psi labeled on the sidewall. Notice how you're the only person disagreeing...

myride and xxxapache like this.
  16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I'm just a rebel .........

Matt Benoit likes this.
  17. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    OK, I've got a related question, our pup has has a GVWR of 1600 lbs, owner's manual does not state load range rating for OEM tires, but states 35 psi inflation, so I would assume Load range "B". When I bought it, it had load range "C" tires on it, which stated inflate to 60 psi, which I did. During the winter I purchased new tires & wheels for it on a really good sale, these were load range "D", which I realize are way overkill on such a light trailer, but the price was cheaper than "B"s. Incidentally, the manufacturing date on them was 4 months before purchase. These tires state that max inflation is 80 psi....this seems excessive to me for a trailer that was being supported by much lighter built tires intended for 35 psi.....

Raycfe likes this.
  18. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I agree that the load range d tires are overkill. However, the tire manufacturer wants you to run at max psi. Anything less than max psi could allow the sidewall to flex, build up heat and cause a failure. Good news, you'll never have to worry about overloading the tires! In any regard, you would never notice a significant improvement in "ride quality" by under inflating the tires, because you never ride in the trailer while it's on the road. Let the suspension do it's job. Look at it this way, you will never have a problem from inflating your bias ply tires to max psi. However, not running max psi is almost certainly guaranteed to generate heat and cause problems. Run at max psi and stay within the max load wight on the tires/axle, whichever is less.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    myride likes this.
  19. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    This is what happened to Ford and Firestone. Ford said one PSI and Firestone said another, and look what happened!

20. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    That's why we always follow the tire manufacturer and not the trailer manufacturer!