Tire recomendations

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by mattlreese, Aug 7, 2018.

1. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I know there are a lot of posts on this but I am looking for new tire recommendations. Popup is only a year old but I would like to get tires that have an 80 mph rating vs. my current 65 mph rating.

Tires are ST185/80R13 99/95M Load Range D.

I plan to just buy them already balanced on the rim and keep the old ones as spares.

2. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
  3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    radials allows you go faster but is that safe? I have radials and i go like 65 to 70 mph. California law limits tow speed to 55! sigh

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I would start with eTrailer. If you go to their website, you can post your question and they will provide an informed answer, normally within a few hours. They have several options for tire/wheel combos as well and shipping is free.

My other suggestion would be Discount Tire, if they are in your area. I just purchased new Carlisle's for the TT and DT treated me very well. They price matched Walmart on the tires and I managed to negotiate free mounting and balancing as well. [:)C]

Garrity likes this.
  5. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    Bought some loadstars from etrailer.com couple months ago. They arrived in 2 days and not squished flat. They are rated to 81 mph. Not that I would ever drive that fast lol.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have THESE but they are remounted. I bought them this past April for both my pup and my boat trailer because of the higher speed rating (81 mph) and because I haul my boat on a lot of gravel logging roads.

So far, so good.

Dan from Troup and megcabra like this.
  7. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Personally I am more then happy towing at 65, but I have traveled on some highways where if I am going below 70 mph, I am more likely to cause an accident due to other crazy drivers and trucks for the matter.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
  9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Also price the combos at Eastern Marine. I have found they are cheaper than e-trailer on the same items

10. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Take a peek at Amazon, I scored pretty well on a set of radials with free shipping, and they were not squashed. As always, be sure to check the date when they arrive- some of these vendors like to toss old stock in the mix, and you dont want a brand new 8 year old tire lol.
    My radials are rated for 87mph, but I have no interest in towing over 70 max. The idea of towing 65-70 with a tire rated for 20mph more just 'feels' better than towing 65 with a tire thats 'pegged out' at that speed.

Garrity likes this.
  11. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    @Lanternman

Thank you and I agree. I want 80 mph tires so I can two at 70 mph.

Lanternman likes this.