Tire/wheel upgrade

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by RH428WF, Jul 18, 2018.

1. RH428WF

RH428WF New Member

I have a 1988 Coleman Sequoia. I did the SOA conversion and now the pop rides level and trailers fine. My question is what can I change the wheel and tire size to? Because its a 4 bolt pattern can I change the hubs or is there a spacer to change the bolt pattern like on a vehicle? My springs are mounted directly to the frame mount with no shackle like on a car. Is there a shackle set that will work and will it make any difference. Also has anyone ever fabbed up shocks to ease the ride and less bounce when I take it off road. (nothing drastic just old dirt roads and logging roads)

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Old minds want to know ..... what is a SOA conversion ? Swap over axle? Your camper has slipper springs. That is instead of needing a shackle so the spring can change length as it arcs, the front of the spring just sits in a pocket and bolt. Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.49.55 AM.png
    So if you add a shackle to the rear hanger the spring will most likely fall out and go BOOM.
    You can swap out your hubs/drums just make sure the new ones use L44649/L44610 bearings and races.
    Larger wheels and tires are only limited to clearance of the wheel wells.
    As for shocks the camper doesn't have enough weight to cause that much spring movement to need a shock.
    Changing to a stronger spring would make the condition worse.

RH428WF likes this.
  3. RH428WF

RH428WF New Member

Yes SOA, spring over axle, swap over axle whatever you prefer. I have a Jeep Wrangler and even with the drop hitch there was way too much lean to the rear. It rides level now and to be honest was a 1.5 hour job in my driveway. Got the kit from ETrailer.com. What tire/wheel size would work if I kept the 4 lug set up, figured it would be better then the small original style.

4. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I did the SOA also. Went from 8in wheels to 12in. Probably could have gone to 13in...but between the lift and the added tire height I needed another entry step, taller stabs, 4 pin extension, foot plate extension for the jack and longer Saftey chains. Very happy with the final result.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    There are 13 inch 4 hole rims would use a 175/80D13 with tire has a 24 inch diameter, or a non radial 185/80D13 with a diameter of 24.7 inches.
    The original tires should have been 20.5x8.0-10 with a diameter a little less than 21 inches.