Title woes!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Sjm9911, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Just posting this for anyone thinking of getting a camper. When I bought mine I got the title signed over and a bill of sale. Sounds good right? Nope. In no they want a ton of stupid stuff, more so then a car sale. So, that wasn't good enough, I need to show proof that there is no lein on the camper, as well as a photo of the vin number on the camper and the previous owners regestration. Now, to boot this is needed even of you pop up is under the weight requiring a title. I don't need the title but i can't get the other stuff. So now I need like 26 other things too. Absuloutly crazy. If i sold a car the title in hand would be enough.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Did you try a different office. If the camper had a lein wouldn't it be on the title?

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Try a different office (DMV). That just doesn't sound right!! We don't even have a title for our pup. Just the Bill of Sale and we purchased ours new from the dealership.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    The lean is on the title, they never used the title to regeter it. I don't have to eaither but need the previous owners registration. It's crazy.

5. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    so they never had the title stamped as paid or got a new clean title?

6. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Nope. They didn't use it to register the camper. You don't need a title under a certain weight. Lol.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    The things I have sold here was always here in same town. Both of us just goes down to the DMV together and it all gets done in five minutes... Have sold two old cars and one utility trailer doing this...

When I got my OFF-ROAD POPUP in the next state I came home with a bill of sale and a temp tag on the trailer but after a quick visit to the local DMV to get permanent tags in my name I ended up with a title too... Tags and Titles go together I guess... DMV wanted to know the trailer weight as that would determine if I needed an annual DOT Safety Inspection... If that info was not readily available then I would have had to go down to the State Inspection Station at the State line and have them measure the weights or verify the weights from a permanent ID Plate on the trailer.. My smallest UTILITY TRAILER does have title, tags and safety lights on it but does not require Safety Brakes or annual DOT Inspection. My heavy 2008 OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer does require DOT approved Safety Brakes which also requires me to have a functional 12V Battery setup on the trailer to operate the trailer BRAKES in the event of trailer becomes disconnected when being towed over public roadways here. The on-board BRAKES will then stop the runaway trailer...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    must be a new person with OCD working with you

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lol, I allready called the state, aperently it's the new procedure. So. Bad luck for me......

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Had an interesting experience recently. Lost my title as I had it in my day timer which apparently was left on the roof of my car. Drove over to DMV in neighboring city and got a duplicate copy last week. Yesterday I got a letter from DMV with the original lost title. Apparently someone found and mailed back to the state. Funny, never heard from anyone about my daytimer.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Proof of no lien should be easy enough. Just contact the lienholder that's on the title and have them send you a letter stating that they no longer have a lien on the trailer.

In terms of the PO's registration- wouldn't that be something that the state would already have? Or am I missing something here?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lienholder was bought out, no records that old are remaining. Lol. Yes they could look it up, but want the hard copy I assume to show you didn't steal it. The copy of the registration is more important then the lien, as I can register it without a title. But without that registration I have to do an abandonment thing, post public notice of the abondenment for 2 weeks in case someone lays came to it. Then do a lien search, then get 3 witness statements that the camper has been in my possession. Lol absuloutly crazy since I have a signed title, they could check the lien themselves also. They will be doing that the other way for a 25 dollar fee.

13. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    How about calling the previous owner to have him/her get a new title that shows no lien holder on it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Canton, Georgia
    +2 On the Different Office / Different Day...

I had a lady DMV Gestapo Agent reject a title I was processing saying the sellers signature was not an authorized signature...

I went back the next day, to a different agent, and the title was processed easily...

It is a "Power Play" by the men / women in "Uniform" at the DMV...

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I have contacted the previous owner, I rally just need there registration card, the title isn't necessary but I though would be good to have. Unfortuanitly they moved and don't know if they kept anything. I'm starting the abandonment process today. If the po finds the info I can register , if not o will keep up with the process.

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I am glad Fl. is not so bad. In fact the girl at the DMV where my son lives told him that since he had several trailers registered, then just do as everyone else does and swap tags as he can only pull one trailer at the time. Most of my trailers are registered as home made

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. sceri

sceri Active Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    Damn! NJ is hard core....

Bill of sale is usually all that is needed; at least here in Washington State....

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I know right, I figured Bill of sale was all I needed also, never herd of having the previous owners registration card, and why would I be entitled to that anyway? Absolutely crazy.

19. sceri

sceri Active Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    Some of the the things they are requesting can be down right impossible to obtain in many circumstances.... They're crazy, delusional, or both....

20. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    We just needed the title signed over to us.

Hard to believe that WA doesn't require oodles of hoops with this stuff.