To buy or not to buy. Pop up gizmos.

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by opie232, Apr 1, 2014.

1. opie232

opie232 Member

I have mixed feelings on pop up gizmos. What are thoughts from those of you that have them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I to am interested, considering the purchase as well. Wondering if they really work, are they worth the extra set up time?

3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

I don't own them but I plan on buying some. I don't think the extra setup time would be too much. From what I have read they really work well.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

You can find older threads on this but here goes:

We never camp without them. They help in hot and cold weather (the pup has extended our camping season so we get all temps) and protect the vinyl bunk end roof from bird poo, tree sap, insect drippings, and the funky black stuff that sometimes comes off the pine trees our pup lives under (we have the pup open at home as we work on it before and after a trip).
    We had the High Wind Version on our previous pup, but switched to the Super-high wind version on the current one; we camp in the sometimes-windy SW and had the large clamps on the edges pop off the HWV.
    We can leave ours on this pup, so there isn't much extra set-up/take down time. Well worth the time, (Look for my posts for the ring mod that makes dealing with 20 shock cord clips a bit easier, albeit at the possible chance of a bit of wear on the bottom edge of the bunk). When we got the Cobalt, we had the chance to compare the pups side-by-side in our driveway, with PUGs on the old pup, none on the new one (as yet) and the difference was amazing. Especially so, since the newer pup had more air circulation as they were set up.

We were so impressed with the outer PUGs that we ordered the inner bunk end liners for us when we camp in cold (<30) weather.

Some people have made their own, but I did an estimation for a truly comparable set, and we decided the only thing we'd really gain by making our own was stress (from sewing) on my shoulders and neck.

5. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I own some SHW PUGs and IMO they are a must have. I forgot them the trip before last and it was reaallllyyy noticeable. I haven't had them long enough to use in the summer however. I am curious what others feel about theirs'.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

They work very well and I strongly endorse them. I had a set on my Fleetwood Yuma. They can stay on all the time so setup is not affected after the first time. Just use the Velcro "attachment inside the roof" mod. They keep the camper cooler in the heat, warmer in the cold and cleaner all of the time, protecting the roof from bird droppings and tree sap. They also protect it from the sun's UV rays. They are a critical part of a heat retention strategy when you camp in cold weather, along with Reflectix window inserts (or the Gizmos interior bunk end liners), Styrofoam sheets under the mattresses and carpet or throw rugs on the floor. Get the Super High Wind version.

This is my old Yuma in the desert (Joshua Tree National Park, CA) with Gismos and Reflectix.
    [​IMG]

7. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

I have the high wind version of the gizmos, these things work great, they definitely reduce the amount of condensation in the pup..I refuse to camp without them, and they only add a few minutes set up time.

8. Yes Dear

Yes Dear Member

A great addition to any popup.

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Gizmos and a BAL Leveler are in my opinion, the two must have items for your PopUp.

theseus likes this.
  10. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

^^ Ditto!

11. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

Depends where you came, too, I think. if you are a short time camper and camp in shaded areas they can be more work then their worth. However, if you camp in unshaded areas, they are worth it. Steve, im not sure why the love of the BAL leveler. I use the plastic blocks and wheel chocks, very quick install, and cheaper. Just wondering, I know that those how have the BAL leveler love them.

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

I can't think of a time that I truly wish I had them. But I'm still in that conversion from a tent camper mode with a tent camping mentality.

13. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Just installed and used the PUGs and inside liners, and now recommend them. [:D]

Only negative is that the enclosed clamps(middle option) are absolute junk! A couple of them broke in my hand from testing. [:(]

I am going to use heavy duty 2" binder clamps on the sides.

All the same, the PUGs and inside liners are worth the money, and I would buy again. [:D]

14. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Adding my [2C]

We made our own with the sportsman reflective blankets from Cabela's. I thought they made a really big difference in hot and cold weather. I can only imagine that the gizmo brand ones are even better :)

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

After using the PUGs on the pup, I think it would have been nice in quite a few situations to have something similar on the ground tent.

16. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Love my Pugs, great customer service and they have an annual sale! Ordered my SHW with velcro and leave them on, they tuck in with canvas. [8D]

17. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

I have nothing negative to say about my popup gizmos. They are awesome! It kept the popup cooler and also made it darker inside for a more comfortable sleep. They probably add on perhaps another 7 - 10 minutes of setup. I'm a perfectionist so it takes me longer than most to setup my popup eitherway..

I also have their cooler cover and that works as directed as well! Good company with a good bunch of folks. USA made with awesome customer service.

Check out their website, my pop-up is on their main page. http://www.popupgizmos.com/

18. tsc

tsc Member

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said here. I love mine.

Being in Southern Ontario (Canada) we don't get the super hot temperatures. But before the Gizmo's, sitting on the bunk end during the middle of the day was quite uncomfortable. Now, with it on, we can sit on the bunk end and be reasonable cool. It was well worth the money.

19. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Now that the conversation has been expanded, lets start w the BAL:

Fastest, easiest way to level AND secure the PUP just by cranking. For those who would rather use planks or blocks????
    especially after Haybale's story this last weekend of a run away trailer!

Back to GIZMOS:

Used them both in 100 deg weather and sub 30 deg weather and the difference is dramatic. GIZMOS give benefit day and night. Two weekends ago we had 30 deg mornings w 35+ mph wind and having both the exterior and interior protection (on the second night, since we were too lazy the first night) saved the weekend.

20. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Howdy Mickaqua,

Be gald to send you more clamps...no charge of course. Just give us a call.

Thanks,

MikeRule likes this.