Toast in the morning?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Grandpa Don, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I tired to do a search in this thread, but there are just too many to go through.

I like my toast with my eggs in the morning. I have one of those toaster gadgets that you put on the open flame of a camp stove. It works, but is cumbersome. A 12 volt system would be nice. I will sometimes just heat the bread in an open frying pan, but that takes up one of my burners. What do you guys do to make toast in the morning when boondocking?

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

566DA3B8-CB1C-490B-8CFA-C8D15226B0CE.png We have been using that same gadget that folds up for 20 years. Works great when you put a small pot lid on top

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    nineoaks2004, jnc, Byrd_Huntr and 3 others like this.
  3. Grandpa Don

Yes, that's the gadget I'm talking about. I guess I'll just continue to use it. I'll try that lid on top trick.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I've tried that type and a different toaster, which looks like a box with wire supports for the bread. [https://www.amazon.com/Camp-A-Toaster-41296-Stove-Top/dp/B0064DRNAC]
    It did work OK, but not really handy enough to merit the storage space, since toast isn't that usual for us while camping. When I want toasted bread, I just make fried bread.
    Heating elements use a lot of power, so any 12v toaster would use a lot of battery. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

When I'm cooking my breakfast I just butter some bread and put it in the frying pan for a bit, flip it to toast the other side, un-buttered, and that's it. Simple and no extra pan or device to clean.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I do a lot of dry camping. I use the frying pan method but do it first before the eggs are put in so as I don't have to dirty up another pan. If I have a campfire in the morning I would put the bread on the grate. I don't make toast often though when I camp, as I make breakfast burritos or scrambles or the like. Bread does not last long in a hot car so I stick with something that can. When I camp in bear country I keep all food in the car.

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on the pot lid. Without the lid, mine pretty much made stale bread whenever I used it. I gave up on it. Maybe I'll give it a second chance.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I too use the frying pan method for making toast... We like our toast and cheese sandwiches for snacks...

Making toast is about the only thing we will cook on the POPUP indoor burner setup. Everything else gets done outside usually on the coleman grille. We also like having a fire going in the firepit outside mornings and evenings... Momabear likes using her big high side electric skillet for slow cooking meals - pot roast - etc... this is usually done outside on a side table...

I like to stir fry things in the skillet... Probably not all that good for you but I like to buy hamburger patties from the Walmart food store and break them up in a stir fry and mix in things like pork-n-beans etc... Was doing that at one camp site somewhere - Elkmont Smoky Mtns I think it was and the smell of my stir fry was too much for the neighbors two dogs. They ended up over in our camp begging for food which they got haha... We got to make friend with neighbors too haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have been using one of these for way more than 20 years and I think it works fine. The only annoyance is having to turn the toast over. But, it was nice to have it make four slices at a time when the kids were growing up. We don't use it often anymore, as we are now low carb. [LOL]

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a small toaster that fits over a single burner. It folds flat - I think it was made by GSI or Primus. Has a mesh screen on the bottom and a grate for a single slice of toast on top. Works OK.

They do make 12V toaster ovens - I have seen them at truck stops before. I have no idea how well they work though.

I usually have an extra burner so it is not an issue for me to make toast, although I generally use the skillet method instead. When I want eggs and toast I usually make an eggy in a basket instead. Yummy!

11. Grandpa Don

Wow, so many comments! I think I'm going to just stick with my over-the-burner toaster. Or I'll use the frying pan method. I don't do the toast thing very often though. I generally make Breakfast Burritos with scrambled eggs with some kind of meat. I wrap it in a hot tortilla and then add some salsa.

Thanks for the tips everybody!

12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

13. frolin

frolin Member

I just use foil over the fire grate, like a pan but easier I do bacon the same way

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just keep it simple .... one pan and or aluminum foil. Its easier to flip the bread in a pan.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought a camper with an oven.

J Starsky and emoney like this.
  16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Well I have an electric toaster, but i have to plug it into a currant bush.

NMroamer likes this.
  17. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

I never knew this little device existed. Hmm. We always have used a pan or over the fire on foil.

18. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I put the bread on a spatula and hold it over the stove. Quick and easy.

y

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Awhile back I ran out of hamburger buns. I like to heat them up when serving. I have a very small Weber propane grill. Maybe 80 cu inches. Long to short, I used white bread. One flip and I had perfect to st. I could do maybe 6 pecies.

jnc likes this.
  20. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Simplest solution is just don’t camp where there’s no electric. I mean, some of us need our AC, toaster, microwave, television, DVD player etc. It’s hard enough to go without the massaging recliner while watching the movie, but that’s why they call it “roughing it”