toilet ideas please

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Fred1diver, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

I'm about to leave for a trip in a week, but the ladies want a toilet for some reason, I guess going to pee outside is not in the cards for them lol.
    I have a 1999 viking pup, so no toilet inside, looking for ideas on how to please the ladies (lol) just a bucket with a pool noodle as a seat or go for a porta potty? any other ideas come to mind?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

They sell a chemical tolet at wall mart.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Definitely a chemical toilet if you want them to be happy campers.

5. Kmbrn84

Kmbrn84 New Member

I got a chemical toilet, I'm a lady, and very much appreciate it for middle of the night purposes!

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

she likes camping a lot, just not a fan of going to the washroom at night, so I might look into one of those

Orchid, Sjm9911 and Kmbrn84 like this.
  8. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Then I would go with a nice flushable chemical toilet in a shelter. The shelter can double duty as a shower shelter also
    (in areas that allow it). Happy wife = happy life!

Overland, Jonson01 and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

I dont like it eaither, add beer into the picture and i love the chemical tolet!

Rik Peery, Kmbrn84 and Orchid like this.
  10. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Yep, you can get a Thetford portapotty fairly cheaply. They are amazing in their lack of ickiness.

Orchid likes this.
  11. Orchid

Last time I went into a bathhouse in the middle of the night, I ran into some homeless/weirdo/druggie people on the floor. It was a state park, too! I'll never go there again. I had one person, on another forum, tell me they have a big homeless population in the woods around the park. He has had run-ins with them on his site in the middle of the night. Not sure why the rangers don't do anything about it. Manatee Springs State Park in Florida, in case anyone was wondering.

I personally prefer my potty inside the camper or tent. I don't even like to go out to a potty tent. I am seriously spoiled anymore. :laugh: Once upon a time, I actually hiked my butt, and my kids to the bathhouses in the night and early morning. Those days are long gone.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Kampus

Kampus Member

I picked up a luggable loo for the wife....for No.1 only.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXBYAC...a19d-0688cbd1a93a&ie=UTF8&qid=1538362045&sr=2

Basic as can be, but she loves it. You can purchase the special bags for it,
    ( https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=PF0M7YMCFWBR4E1T0EBR)
    but she uses regular trash bags with a cup or two of cat litter. (pre-paired in ziplock bags).

We keep it outside the door at night and she grabs it and brings it in to use in the pup if she needs, then back outside it goes. Pitch the bag in the trash in the morning. Beats the hell out of her waking me up in the middle of the night to walk her to the bathroom.

13. Jonson01

Jonson01 New Member

We just finished a weekend with a smaller Thetford toilet from Walmart in a ozark shower/utility tent just outside the door. Wife was very pleased with this setup.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

E-tool/flashlight/GPS...just kidding, no need to have 'em kill you in your sleep...got an "instant pop up" shower thing that can serve as a crapper/changing/washing area, have a Reliant(?) collapsible sit down w/ 3 legs that'll hold a crap sack & use some type powder that gels the wheedle, sack can be zipped shut & tossed in a dumpster, wife brings it inside the camper at night...

15. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

This is what I use:

I have this SHOWER TENT and this PORTA-POTTY. I know you didn't ask about a shower, but in case you ever do need one, I use this SHOWER system.

The shower tent is an EZ-up system and is ready in five minutes. It seems a bit big when you first set it up, but you soon appreciate the extra room once you start using it on a regular basis.

I wanted that particular porta-potty because it is only 13.5" in height and fits under the collapsed pup table for easy storage when traveling.

The shower works great for us because it conserves water.

2018 Grand Portage 01.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Andy G., kcsa75, Sjm9911 and 2 others like this.
  16. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Back 100 yrs ago when we owned our 2000 Santa Fe I would also set up a PahaQue TeePee as a shower tent, drawing a hot/cold water mix from the trailer's outside shower faucet. It had a fabric floor but I'd lay a couple of old towels on top and we'd stand in a Rubbermaid bin that would collect most of the water as we showered, any that didn't land in the tub would be soaked up by the towels that we could then air dry later. It worked well and showering on a warm summer night looking up at the stars was particularly enjoyable but it did take time & effort to set up so I began to consider alternatives.

That alternative was my own DIY in-dinette seat shower which we ended up using a LOT because at the time our boys were young and we found it much easier to use than having to trek to the campground bath house which often was of questionable cleanliness.

Going hand in hand with an inside shower is a proper toilet and because our Santa Fe didn't have the cassette toilet option I elected to invest in a Thetford electric flush porta potti, at that time a 585 model which ran on it's own set of AA batteries. It worked really well and along with the shower totally eliminated our need to ever use campground bath houses.

Fast forward to today, we've sold our travel trailer, and agreed to buy a Fleetwood Resolute (a.k.a. Cheyenne in other model years) for just the two of us. I'm thinking that in the spring when I organize this camper for how we'll use it I'll probably install a Thetford Curve electric flush porta potti and since this Resolute does have a water heater I may install a reincarnated version of my previous in-dinette seat shower system. Both will simplify our setups and eliminate the need for an outside shower / toilet tent. [A]

Attached Files:

17. Orchid

This is really interesting. I have a traditional bathroom in my camper, but still really interested in this mod, just because I'm curious.

Do you have a tub collecting the water, in the dinette?
    Did you put in some kind of drain, or do you then have to lift the tub of water to remove from camper?
    Is it difficult to keep the surrounding area dry?
    Did you put Velcro on your shower curtain to keep it closed around the person showering?
    Where is the water for the shower coming from?

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

The shower tub is a stock resin laundry tub with a molded on threaded drain, measuring about 20" x 21" and cut down to height, permanently mounted within the dinette seat. Showering is no different than in any shower and all water remains within the enclosed shower area, draining out of the tub to an exterior Aquatainer. The shower curtain is an extra wide polyester version purchased from McMaster-Carr so it overlaps at the entry point, no velcro needed. Shower water is provided by the adjacent galley mixer faucet which is easy to reach from within the shower. You can find pics within this album - just click on any pic that may interest you, then on "i" at the upper right for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

Popiworks, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. Sjm9911

Lots of good stuff in that album.

20. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Thanks - kind of you to say. [:D] This time around I plan to keep it much simpler with the '05 Resolute we're picking up next spring but I am thinking an electric flush porta potti is one improvement I will invest in. Not sure yet about an inside shower - for my own use I wouldn't bother but my wife really did prefer showering in our previous Santa Fe vs using the campground bath house facilities which are at times of questionable cleanliness. [EEK] She's also been spoiled by having a shower in our previous travel trailers so a shower in this camper has already been "suggested". [;)] That of course dictates the need for a good supply of fresh water so I may also have to DIY another fresh water transfer pump system as I really dislike having to hold a heavy container full of water in order to manually fill the trailer's FW holding tank. Lots of time to make plans over the winter though! [:D]

Orchid likes this.