Tongue jack

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Drvred, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Another case of thinking I have made an improvement, and now I have to find someone with a torch.
    My battery is mounted very badly, and I ordered the parts to mount it over the winch, on my Flagstaff 206 LTD.
    I was told that I had to switch to a side wind jack, to clear the box.
    I had to go to Camping World today to pick up the license plate, and decided to pick up the jack while I was there.
    I had a 1000 lb jack in my hands and decided to verify with the parts guy that it would work. He recommended that I go with the 2000 lb jack, because it would be more rigid. Sounded good to me, it was only $5 more.
    Got home, painted it black to match everything else, pulled the old one, stuck the new one in the hole, and the bottom hole is only 1 7/8.
    Now I have to find someone to cut it to 2 1/4.
    Smacks forehead......

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Just a thought. if you could fit a piece of plywood under the hole you could maybe used a hole saw.

3. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Good idea, the trick will be making sure it's centered.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Even if you could get a 4X4 end wise then mark the center of the wood to put the hole saw pilot drill. Once it starts cutting metal the wood may not be needed. You could aways use a rotary grinder to enlarge the hole ..... or a lot of filing by hand.

5. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    X2
    On the end grinder or a rotary tool.

6. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Went thru a very similar project on mine last summer. I had bent the OE tongue jack, when backing into my driveway. Searched the internet for quite some time trying to find a new jack of the same diameter, with virtually no luck. My OE one was also 1-7/8", and just about everything I was finding was 2" or 2.25".

I tried the air compressor driven grinder tool, and that barely made a dent, maybe I needed some different type of grinding head, but what I had was not up to the task of removing metal from the a-frame plate at all.

I ended up enlisting help of a friend who owns a plasma cutter, and we were able to enlarge the holes to allow for my new 2.25" dia tongue jack. I did put the 3 mounting bolts back in, but we also chose to weld a little bead around the jack to secure it to the plate.

I agree, it would probably suit you best to find someone who can cut the hole with a torch, I don't feel that a hole saw will be aggressive enough to make the cut. Of course it might be a matter of patience too, and I admit that I don't always have that, heh heh!!

Good Luck!