Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Mamie, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    As I've tried to start on repairing the sideboards on my camper, I need to remove all the stuff that I have bought and have stored there on the bunkends. I've considered taking it to storage because I don't want to put it in the shed where everything will get dirty. But I got to thinking that I need a cover for my truck and was going to get one, but if I had it now I could take stuff from the camper and put it in the back of the truck.

I know nothing of bed covers except I cannot do the snaps. I had initially thought about getting a tri-fold until I saw the soft roll ones without the bars where I can still have access to the back of my truck.

I've found several on ebay, and I'm looking at the Soft Lock & Roll Tonneau Cover by PRIME CHOICE. https://www.ebay.com/itm/352286613209

It's cheap, which is good for me, and I can roll it up, but I don't know if it will keep the bed of my truck dry and also how does it lock? I have a very limited income and can't afford to buy the wrong thing.

2. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I had an expensive roll and lock cover that still leaked water. Don't expect it to be completly dry storage.

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    That's what I was afraid of. I looked at so many that I got confused and decided to go back and try again. I remember seeing one that locked and another that had a sealing strip.

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    With luggage storage protect with trash bags. I had the 3 fold back flip too.

5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I could probably use tarps too.

6. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    The covers will be waterproof, but the design of the bed and how it attaches to the truck, are not waterproof, I have had covers on my last 4 trucks, it can get damp or dripped on, but for the most part, it stays dry.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    ^X2 It will shed rain, for sure, and without bars, a soft cover may pool a little in the middle, but it won't be completely sealed. If you drive the truck, stuff will still also get a little dirty back there. The gap between the tailgate and the bed is a source of dust and rain mist. So, I wouldn't store stuff you worry about mildew forming on in the back of the truck with a cover for a long time. But, if it is solid stuff, it should be fine.

Good Luck!

8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Have used both, soft top with bars that rolls/velcro and the tri-fold style. Of the two the tri-fold with edge gasket is better at keeping "most" water/rain/dust out but not 100 %.

9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    They sell seals for that gap. I had one on our former F150, worked very well.

10. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    I had one of these on my truck for awhile. Don't remember cost, but think it was on the expensive side.
    https://rollnlock.com/
    Worked great but did get drips near the tailgate. I put stuff in Rubbermaid bins just in case.
    I've moved to a full canopy and really enjoy the extra secure storage. I didn't need the height of an open bed anymore.

11. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I appreciate all of the suggestions and they give me a lot of options. I don't have a bed liner, but I think I'm going to do the roll on. I know it won't be the best, but it will be the best I can afford. My truck is a 2008 and other than some scuffs, the truck bed is in good shape, no rust.

The snaps might be more water-tight, but I could never pull the top enough to snap it in place.

I saw the one with the bars, but I wouldn't be able to haul anything. It would definitely be better for run-off though. I'm so scattered and disorganized around here. If I could ever get all my storage places fixed, I would be able to easily store something and could probably find it. My last chicken died, so I'm going to convert the chicken house to a storage building. I built it that way so that someday somebody could use it. After I started looking for a camper, I decided I did want to have to deal with chickens if I went somewhere. I can take the cat and the dog.

I liked the tri-fold until I saw the roll-up. The way I drive, I don't need anything blocking the back window if I have to haul something. I might have to give that tri-fold a second look and determine how much room I would have in front of the last fold. I haven't been hauling lumber like I did before and now, when I get sheet goods I have it cut down at Lowes. It's a lot less trouble than struggling with it.

That was a nice top. Even without looking at the price, I know it's nothing I could afford.

My bed is only 5.5 ft, so it's pretty small. I think bins is definitely the way to go. I could get a shower rod and use it as a bar to keep everything from moving around.

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I have one of these on my F-150.
    https://www.truxedo.com/p-37209-truxedo-pro-x15-truck-bed-cover.html

It has baes for support and velcro to hold it down on the side. But if i need to haul something, it rolls up and out of the way in a matter of a few seconds.
    I guess you cant call it water tight but the only water I've ever seen is a few drops right inside the tailgate after a rain or washing. [:)C]

13. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
  14. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Thanks for the info. A little water is okay, I can't imagine anything but a hard cover being 100% water proof.

Storage containers are the way to go. I have some tubs, but not sure if I can find all the lids.

Inexpensive is all I can afford. I don't drive fast so many there won't be a problem.