Too hot and humid for this senior to go camping.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jerbear, Jul 4, 2018.

1. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Looks like we will be camping this fall instead of this summer . The Midwest is having it's share of hot and humid weather with heat advisories .Even if we had A/C in the camper who wants to sit in the camper all day? So needless to say ,it's the 4th and the pup has not been open yet ,not even in the driveway . Yep call it a pity party but it's just too nasty for this married couple and 4 legged son. LOL

landon6062 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Take it to Alaska! Seriously, I get it hot and humid on the east cost also, put a damper on my repairs. Hopefully it will break enough so I can finish the camper.

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

The last couple summers have been too hot for me to motorcycle or camp much.
    I work outside, so if it's too hot or cold I have to deal with it all day.

Spent about an hour on the motorcycle last Saturday and it was enough for me.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We are taking the summer off from camping this year. No reservations until October.

The last three summers, I've noticed higher temps and "feels like" temps in my previous towns in WV and MD, compared to what it is in my current location in Florida.

Today is a perfect example. Both temps are a few degrees higher in WV. I wouldn't be camping up there either.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We just got back from Portland. Weather and scenery were beautiful except for a few 90 degree days. Sucks here in TX though. Been 100 all week.

Katskamper likes this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Don't blame you a bit, I'm wrapped way too tight to sit inside for long, especially in a 10' a frame lol...if I'm already camping, I'll take hot days & hit the water, paddle to shady coves & just hang off the side of the yak to cool off...heading out in a couple weeks solo for 3 days, hoping it'll cool off a tad, wife won't go until this fall...

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I am grateful that I live near the Sierras. When it gets too hot at home, I head up the mountain. Over 100 down here and the mountains will be 80s and 90s during the day, but will cool off at night.

In the winter, I camp in the foothills - warmer weather. It makes for year round camping.

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

06F1FC79-D2F1-427D-9094-70063831F2D5.jpeg Sorry your suffering. 75 deg 12% humidity here in Jackson Hole.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Being a Fl swamp Rat, a little heat does not bother me I just slow way down (that is why us Southerners walk and talk so slow) it preserves our energy for important things like camping and fishing. :)

WrkrBee and fullboat1010 like this.
  10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

My typical wilderness paddle camping begins in mid to late October and goes until March-April here in East Texas. Perhaps with my PUP I may be able to extend it some with rooftop a/c.

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Not too hot yet for this senior.. Spent last Saturday on the tractor cutting hay. And Sunday on riding mower here. Its warm, but you get used to it. Just had too much to do or we would have camped last weekend.

12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Whoa, Alaska isn't much better! We hit 80 yesterday in Anchorage, which was a record for us. With 19 hours of daylight, there is little relief. My DW suggested we sleep in the TT last night and flip on the A/C since houses here don't have it.

sawdusty and Rik Peery like this.
  13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Your not alone, at least I was able to get a couple short trips in June and did a trip in May. Sadly my camping trips are usually no more than three nights, but at least I'm camping. I really want to take it to the mountains again where it would be cooler but work is getting in the way. Now that my co-worker is leaving the company my boss won't let me leave unless I'd be willing to work remotely. Yeah, that nixes the mountains and like 80% of the campgrounds I stay at.

14. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We hit 80 here today and yesterday on the south shore of Lake Superior. Still snuck a little camp trip in which I'll post shortly. TO HOT for us.

15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I'm not a senior (yet) but totally agree! I am a little apprehensive about my weekends booked in August, as I won't have electricity... aka no a/c

16. DanLee

DanLee Member

Might want to head north a bit, maybe to the upper peninsula of Michigan.

17. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

You just had to rub it in, didn't you! Wish I was there.

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

That would not be a good thing, maybe borrow or rent a genny.

landon6062 likes this.
  19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) generators are not allowed at the state park I frequent. Normally I never camp in summer months but I'm trying to get some sleep time in the new tt [:)C]
    Maybe something like this would help.... OPOLAR 9 Inch USB Fan, USB Powered ONLY (No Battery), Desk Fan with Enhanced Airflow, Lower Noise, Two Speeds, Perfect Personal Cooling Fan for Home Office Desk-Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JRJGT9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-yypBbNV6249Z

landon6062 likes this.
  20. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have this fan - which is one of the better 5V USB fans I have run across. It is a much better blade design, and moves a fair amount of air for 5V.

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Inclu...819844&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=opolar+desktop+9

I use it for tent camping and when I travel for work, as sometimes the hotel rooms are not quite as cold as I would like them to be. However - you really can't beat a 12V fan. The ones I am currently using are O2Cool models. However - none of them come with a 12V power cord since they are designed to use batteries. I happened to have some cords in the house with the right sized socket, but they are pretty cheap to also buy on Amazon.

I have 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-10-In...530820046&sr=1-11&keywords=o2cool+camping+fan

You can get them at your Walmart store for about $15, which is where I got mine.

I also splurged and bought one of these for me to use on business trips when I have the space, and tent camping when I can lug along a larger 12V battery pack.

https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Porta...1530820046&sr=1-5&keywords=o2cool+camping+fan

I really like this one as it has the side lights which are pretty handy.

They are not quite as powerful as an Endless Breeze fan, but they are far cheaper and move about 80% of the air I think. I have been pretty happy with all of them.

That being said I finished figuring out how to get my 2nd A/C running in the pup. Before I shut everything off for the night yesterday I hit 64 inside the cabin and bunks - it was still hovering around 90 outside.

Rik Peery likes this.