Tool Box mounted to Rear Bumper

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by goldenboy81, May 16, 2012.

1. goldenboy81

goldenboy81 New Member

Got this toolbox on ebay. This is on my Fleetwood Evolution E1. I wanted a lockable place to store the tools. It worked out perfectly. I had to move the license plate bracket to the right by about an inch. It sits above the bumper (so doesn't reduce clearance). It also does not increase the length (the spare tire still extends further than the box). I had to add some supports underneath to increase the stability of it (they are just steel shelf brackets bought at depot or walmart). I added a non-slip tool box material to the bottom using double sided tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Looks good! I put a battery box in the same location. Do you have an eBay link?

3. goldenboy81

goldenboy81 New Member

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

VERY cool. I've been eyeing the same spot for a 20mm ammo can.....

5. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Somebody on here (or PUexplorer) made a battery box and mounted there that he or his wife painted to be a dead ringer for a case of Corona's. They had a good time with all the people who flagged them down to tell them they forgot their beer. [LOL]

6. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

7. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

That would cause much distraction for other drivers, got to be illegal.

8. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

A distraction, probably. Illegal, don't see how it could be. Heck, I get distracted when I see a nice early model Mustang, or a late model Ferrari, or even a dual axle PU like an Avalon, but I don't think they are illegal. What's illegal is being distracted. "Hey, did y'all see that?!?" [LOL] It's just a really cool battery box, and the OP's is really nice, too.

9. AbileneE3

AbileneE3 New Member

Are you still able to access the bunk end support on the bumper?

I have the same E3 and bought the same toolbox. Mine looks like I'll have to move the license plate a foot or so toward the spare so that the toolbox will not interfere with the bunk end support.

10. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Very cool idea! What I want to know as well is should the tool box be mounted up front of the camper? If I do this, it'll be to put the hubby's tools and the floor jack in. I always heard it was best to put more weight on the front of the camper than the back. What do y'all think?

Campit

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

no more of a distraction than the billboards with girls and guys in skimpy outfits. and what about the beer trucks that have their logos and pictures all over the truck? ok, maybe someone thinking a case of beer was left on the bumper could distract someone a little bit, but illegal? nah....

12. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

I know..old thread. Soon I'll be needing to swap my license plate bracket and spare tire around. When I do this I'd like to put some storage on the back bumper and move the license plate to the outside of the box. This box would move all of my setup tools out of the bucket in the camper door and give me a little more space. I think this mod would be perfect for what I need, plus it looks like these type of boxes are available at a lot of brick and mortar stores, so I can go and get some measurements and see how they're built before I buy it.

13. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

14. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

I've seen the picture of that on here. It looked to be a well made/painted replica. I don't care for beer, but thought it was a great idea. I just wonder how the state parks around here would deal with it with their "rules" of "no public display or consumption of alcohol". It's not display of actual alcohol, but some persnickety park host may give them a bit of grief at first.