Top stuck in up position, lift motor pulled under the trailer!

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by KKay, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    We have a 2013 Flagstaff pup. We’ve been having a little trouble with the electric lift the last few times, but it always ended up working. Today my husband and son are camping and the lift motor kept grinding. The top would go up, then drop a little. At first he couldn’t get the door to position, because it wouldn’t stay in the right spot. He put the support braces up and went to the hardware store to get some boards to support the opposite corners. The motor kept grinding & he came back to the lift motor pulled under the trailer. Any suggestions welcome! 9C6AE5F5-3829-466A-A79B-49518841137A.jpeg

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Wow.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. With that much strain on the motor it looks like it could have been very dangerous. Without more details it will be very difficult to suggest a cause.

I have a 2014 Flagstaff with electric lift, so I am VERY interested to know what caused this. Please update us as you get more information.

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've got a 2001 Flagstaff with the manual crank. Does the electric lift also have the option of raising and lowering the roof manually?

4. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    It isn't an "option", it is a backup to use if the battery dies and there is no other source of power. I takes 2,000 cranks to raise/lower the roof by hand, so a power drill is a suggested option. It is not meant to be used as the main lifting source.

5. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    We have used the manual lift before, but now, the cable has basically inverted the whole thing and he can’t connect to the manual system. It’s under that metal and twisted. I don’t know how we will even get it to a repair shop fully raised.

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    2000 cranks? It would never see the light of day. So you use a drill. Is your crank in the front?

7. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    We used a drill when we used the manual crank, he just can’t access it now.

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I'd be up a creek. With it being such a new model, do you have insurance on it with roadside service? Don't know if that would help much, but they could pull it on the lift. The only thing would be the wind whipping underneath the roof. You would need to block the wind with some sort of tarp or even a sheet of cheap osb. If you could do that, he might be able to pull it slow enough to get it home.

9. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Yes, in front. I've never had to use it but I keep a cheap cordless drill in the pup "just in case". I also use it on by stabilizers. I can get all four stabs down in about a minute.

Front Tongue - Side.jpg

power_lift_winch_pc.jpg
    Red oval is the backup manual crank.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok, this is just me, but you're going to have to get all "get 'er done" on this. It's toast, but you have to get her home. Bend the crap out of it with whatever you can... a pipe, a crow bar, whatever and get the winch back to where you can get the manual crank engaged. Lower it, latch it, get it to a repair place.

If you can't do that, you may consider getting folks on each corner then (gasp) cut the cable and let it down and fix it later.

There's no elegant solution here, so think caveman, and the solution will present itself.

Sorry to hear about this, it sure does screw up a nice weekend. Now, you have to get it home, so do what you have to so you can. Don't tow with it popped up... it will only lead to tears.

jnc likes this.
  11. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017

12. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    We are too far to pull it home and it is probably going to have to go to a shop anyway. We will be calling the closest repair shop first thing in the morning. I was hoping maybe someone would have a trick we didn’t know about. It is so windy this weekend. I really don’t know how we will tow it open without tearing it up. Maybe the repair shop will have a suggestion? We maybe paying park rental for a few days until we can find a traveling repair person? We do have Good Sam travel assistance, but even being towed professionally would be bad, if they can’t close it.

13. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    IF it were me, I would go get a manual crank system, support the roof, disconnect the electric system, put on the manual crank and go from there. However, that won't solve the problem of why there was so much strain on the lift system in the first place.

The strain could be caused by anything. Main suspects:

1. Lack of maintenance caused too much friction. The spring tubes should be oiled each season from each corner. The Master tube should be re-greased. The inner, middle and outer posts should be sprayed with dry lube. The pulleys should be greased. The winch should be greased or sprayed with WD-40.
    2. A pulley broke.
    3. A cable snapped (I doubt this happened because the winch gave way first.)
    4. A cable jumped a pulley. Look under the rear of the pup and see if the cable is still on the pulley (Part "M" on the pdf below).

Attached Files:

14. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Thanks for the tips. I will get him to check those things first thing in the morning. I know he greased the gears, but I’m not sure about the other things? I’ll let you know.

15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    That's where mine is too.

I think the best thing to do is what BikeNFish suggested - get a manual crank.

I haven't done anything to my camper since I got it because I couldn't get a tag, so it's been setting in the drive-way setup. I hope I can get the roof down with no problem. It's been windy here all day so I've been worried about that.

16. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Wow, amazing how that ended up like that. My winch was giving me issues would not go down the last foot, I replaced the switch (thanks for the switch info BikNFish) and and no more issues. You have a bigger issue from the looks of the picture. My suggestion is get the top down no matter what it takes and get it home and further access. Hope that the only damage is the winch and no damage to the rest of the lift system. Might give Carefree of Colorado (winch manufacture) a call and send picture of what happen maybe they can help you on replacement. Good luck.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/P55000-Folding-Camper-Winch-Owners-Manual.pdf

17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've got bigger problems with my sideboard that I thought. And as BikeNFish said, I think it is due to the 'strain' on the body. Where the sideboard had the ends of bolts sticking out of the rear, it is wet, rotted and torn apart. I probably wouldn't even be able to lower the roof. To keep rain from getting in, I started to use duct tape but couldn't find any. Instead I took some outdoor vinyl and went from the ridge of the roof to the bottom and covered the hole side to side. I paid the PO to deliver the camper for me and wanted it parked further back in the driveway but he wouldn't do it, so the front of the camper extends beyond the side of the house -- nothing to block the wind which leaves it open to be flipped with heavy winds. I just got a hitch and ball and if I can slide the front bunk in, I will try to hitch the camper and back it up 4-5 feet. The camper is not level once I lowered the leveling jacks, so I think that's the cause of the sideboard tearing apart.

Being as it is, I can't even take it to have it inspected for a tag - more penalties. It's already almost 5 months beyond the 20 day period to transfer the tag and title - the title I never got from the PO.

I don't think I will be camping anytime soon so I am going to take everything I have bought out of the camper and store it and get some sort of brace set up to hold the roof.

18. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Did he leave it running while he went to the store? I can't tell if the winch is inverted or if it just buckled the support plate or bracket. If you can get the top off the winch you might be able to access the emergency socket. However given the condition of the winch you may not be able to do anything anyway. I would be concerned that other parts of the lift system have been twisted our otherwise damaged.

If he collapses everything else you might be able to cut the main cable and let it drop if you have some help to hold the roof and lower it .

Going to take some work to rebuild the lift system though. Best of luck.

KKay likes this.
  19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would be cutting cables or what ever is in the way just to avoid the tow truck!

crackerJack likes this.
  20. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017