Top stuck in up position, lift motor pulled under the trailer!

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by KKay, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I agree. The closest repair shop was closed on Sat. So we’ve paid for the campsite a couple of extra days, to see if we can find the parts or a mobile repair guy. My husband & son have to come home for work & school on Monday, so I will be on the phone making calls. I sure don’t want to cut the cable. I hope we can find some sort of solution besides that. We aren’t sure what to do, but there are few choices on a weekend.

Mamie likes this.
  2. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017

3. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Thanks for the contact number. I’ll be checking on it first thing Monday. I just don’t know if my husband will be able to repair it by himself?

4. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    We are hoping to get around cutting cables. Unfortunately, the weekend is near impossible to get a repair guy. We extended the campsite so we can deal with it tomorrow. We had it towed once before. What a nightmare! We had a broken leaf spring so it had to be put on a platform tow truck. The idiot tow driver, bent up the crank that raises the trailer to hook to the ball, then drug it up on top of the wires that went to the lights & brakes. What should’ve been a couple hundred repair job turned expensive fast.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The winch is junk so cutting the cable coming out of it is no loss. And yes some Tow Truck Drivers are brutal so I avoid them at all costs! Hopefully your DH can find a way to get it home without braking the bank.

KKay likes this.
  6. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Sneezer is right.
    With the winch attach plate badly buckled like that. You just cannot get access to the manual bolt to get the thing down.
    I have tooling myself that would do it, but it needs a right angle gearbox for the drill and the socket. But that may not even work?
    I think if I was stuck at the camping ground I would get some various lengths of sticks support the roof and cut the cable.
    Then it is a matter of getting people to help bring the roof down slowly by slotting in shorter bits of wood and taking the longer bits out while trying to hold it enough to bring it down slowly.
    (Make sure it is all packed away ready for the roof to come down.)
    And then when you get it home it will be a big exercise to get everything straightened and checked out. When you pull the springs to replace the cable, you can physically check then and also check the lift posts, canvas etc.
    It takes a lot of force to move that winch attachment plate like that. It will very likely have damaged other things!

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I would support the roof and then try to unbolt the winch. I am guessing the three nuts on top would drop the winch. Then try to straighten every thing out with a hammer and crowbars. You may be able to bolt the winch back up a lower manually. If not let cable out of the winch when it is off a lower the roof little by little with wood sticks holding it.

8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Just wondering if OP made any headway with this as of yet.....

9. jnc

X2

10. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Update. We found a traveling RV guy. Before we met him, I went to the hardware store & bought pvc pipe. Enough for several heights in case the cable broke and it dropped suddenly. I was worried the telescoping corners wouldn’t drop evenly & cause a whole new problem. So we cable tied pvc pipes to each corner pole, about 6” shorter than the actual poles. The RV guy was able to remove the plastic cover underneath & manually crank it down. We ended up not needed the pvc, but it was a cheap back up, if we were going to have to cut the cable. We got it home, he thinks it was the switch. Now that we know the switches go out often and are very cheap, we will keep a back up on hand, as someone suggested. Now, we just have to get the brace straightened out & see if the existing lift will work with a new switch. I was never so happy as To see that roof inching down! Thanks to everyone for your tips and advice. It was a great help!

tfischer and jnc like this.
  11. jnc

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

12. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    J Starsky and BikeNFish like this.
  13. KKay

KKay New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I just popped 2 of those into my Amazon cart. Thanks to you for posting and BikeNFish for telling you about it. Where are all of you guys when we are camping? If this group was all at the same campground, there’s not much you couldn’t figure out!

Thanks again, hopefully we will get these kinks worked out because we are hoping to head to California this summer for a very long trip.

jnc and JPBar like this.