Tow vehicle and 21 foot hybrid

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by lostboy, May 10, 2018.

1. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Researching the option of buying a new to us 21 foot hybrid and towing it with a 2007 nissan pathfinder. I already have the pathfinder and not really interested in a new TV.

The trailer dry is 3310 and GVWR is 4260, tow capacity on my TV is 6000.

The numbers all say this is possible and that a weight distribution hitch is ideal.

What I really want to know from anyone doing it is how does it feel to drive a vehicle this size with a trailer that size? I don't care that the numbers say it's okay if it's going to be uncomfortable or not fun to drive.

For reference our pop up is 2000 dry, I can't remember the GVWR and I am not home to look at the sticker and it tows easily but of course it's lighter, less surface area, less tongue weight...

2. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    Does the Pathfinder have the payload for the 600lb tongue +75lb WDH + luggage and passengers? Always go by the GVWR and never by the unloaded or "dry" weight. Also, does the Pathfinder lower its towing capacity for large frontal area trailers?

Adam

3. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    It has a 600lb tongue capacity. Camper is 320 dry hitch weight. I understand dry isn't an ideal weight as it will never be 'dry'. It does have a frontal limit but the trailer is within that.

Again, the numbers all work when factoring in kids, stuff, hitch, etc. However, will it actually drive well? I am leaning towards it won't but curious what everyone's opinions are.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Honestly, it just depends on the individual trailer. Our family owns a 17' hybrid that is a nightmare to tow and a 29' TT that tows easy and smooth. We use a WDH with both, but the hybrid is nearly impossible to tow without it. The Hybrid is a Jayco Jayfeather and TT is a Keystone Cougar. I don't know the weights off the top of my head, but the TT is nearly double the weight of the hybrid.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California

I get what you said but using the dry weight isn't feasible in figuring out tongue weight. There is no such thing as dry tongue weight but just go to weight scale like at truck stops and see how much the actual tongue weight is.

6. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    When you add to weight of the WDH + the 500 lb tongue weight front the trailer, you will be exceeding the hitch's capacity of 600 lbs. Dry weights are useless, always use GVWR or pack it like you would for camping and hit the scales.
    4260 x 12% = 511 lbs tongue + conventional WDH = 600 lbs.
    Look for the Andersen WDH to save a few lbs and you might squeak by. Also look at the Payload sticker inside the driver's door jamb, subtract the hitch and tongue weight and that's what's left for passengers and cargo.

I towed a 19' TT with my under powered V6 Explorer and probably exceeded every weight rating but both myself and the car survived. Can't remember it being too bad of an experience either. FWIW

Adam

7. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    This kind of sealed it for me.

I would never pack it full but there also would be no wiggle room.

Thanks for the help. I assumed this was the case but also thought I might be to paranoid or to cautious.

8. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    Before you make that call look at the cargo capacity in the sticker inside the door.
    Also like I said earlier check the Andersen hitch as it is 1/2 the weight of a traditional hitch.
    It’s ok to tow at max capacity and be comfortable doing it. Sooner or later you’ll replace the Pathfinder and then look at a more capable vehicle, until then max it out.

Adam

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, but you also risk buying a unit that is not comfortable to drive. My parents bought a 28' TT and they drive a V8 4-Runner. Number wise they are within the specs however this unit is NOT a comfortable tow. The wheel base on the TV is just not long enough for such a big TT and even with Camper breaks the vehicle brakes don't feel strong enough to stop it. My dad no longer takes the trailer out, but instead keeps it parked at a campground. He doesn't like how the car handles it, and doesn't feel comfortable if he would need to stop short. Once you drive off the dealer lot you take a depreciation hit and I don't know any dealer that will allow you to take it on a test ride before buying it. However maybe your dealers are different. By the way you CAN give your TV an early death if you tow at Max capacity. Had a Ford that both the engine and transmission died not even 100k miles in all because we got suckered in believing that the dry weight is true because the dealer said it was. Sadly this was before I found the portal and started researching extensively. Painfully expensive way to learn.

10. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    I was referring to towing a 21’ Hybrid, not a 28’TT. Big difference

Adam

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  11. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    The dealer we talked to offered a test tow. Not sure if that is common but seemed like a good idea. We haven't taken them up on it but have went down the road at looking at f150's.

I don't want to be in the situation mentioned above where I dread taking a trip because the drive sucks.

Currently with our pop up we just take it slower and enjoy the ride...maybe we just keep what we have and save a bunch of $$$.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    You can always upgrade your popup with updated popup...

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    [. We haven't taken them up on it but have went down the road at looking at f150's.
    IF your thinking about a Ford pickup...you had better do it fast as Ford only has a 70 day supply left. Production has been shut down for an extended period of time due to a suppler fire.

14. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a 20’ hybrid 3 bunk, loaded weight of about 4500 lbs. I can tell you that the hitch weight is close to 575 lbs, and this unit has double axles. I have towed it with my 14 Dodge Durango that has a 6000 lb tow limit. It was not fun. The tongue weight really was too much, even with my wdh. And the Durango did not handle all the weight well. It has enough horsepower, but not enough wheelbase. It tows much better with our Toyota Tundra, but you can still feel it back there. And a TT wreaks havoc on MPGs, but that is pretty much a given. Personally, I would not tow something like a TT with anything less than a 1/2 ton pickup or a full size SUV. The weight and wheelbase of the larger vehicles help control the TT.

shuang2 likes this.