Towing capacity/tow package

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by NorthernSpirit, Nov 22, 2017.

1. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    We have a new pop up, Coachmen Clipper 2018 LS107 GVWR 2300 lbs.
    We bought it knowing we'd have to get a tow vehicle, but wanted to buy the trailer first, so we'd know what to look for. But, now the questions begin!

If the tow vehicle has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs, does it need to have a tow package?

I'm asking because we were hoping to save some $$ and buy a preowned vehicle, but finding one with a tow package is next to impossible. And even if it did find one, who knows what it was towing and if it was over worked.

Thanks for any info/advice!

2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Hard to say for sure without knowing what the TV is. A towing capacity of 3500 lbs is pretty low, so I'm guessing you're looking at a minivan or small SUV. If so, I'd say that you need a tow package, or add the tow package components yourself. A trans cooler seems to be the most common component of a tow package. See what Google says the tow package version of your TV should have and price those components out.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Not sure a trans cooler increases the tow rating of a vehicle. Usually, that implies better suspension, stronger trans, more hp/torque, etc.
    But there is more to towing a trailer than just what it can pull, you have the tongue weight cannot exceed the maximum hitch weight, the max load of the TV, etc.

Really need to know what TV you are talking about since I agree with chambo, 3500 lbs is quite low.

4. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

One note: You may have to physically check out the TV for a tow package. When we purchased our truck, the ad did not mention tow package, but the truck is set up with it factory install. Nice for us, but if we were just searching by the interwebs, we would have missed it. You may want to go and look on lots Sundays or just put up with the salespeoples.

5. NorthernSpirit

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Looking at SUVs (There's a real nice Mercedez SUV for a good price that is rated at 3500), and a Volvo at 3300 lbs, Toyota Highlander 5,000
    Dodge Caravan line (no Journeys) are mostly all rated at 3500

DJS12354, That's what I'm hoping for (a vehicle with the tow package and nobody knows about it kind of thing) but unfortunately, we're about 2 hrs from the closest dealer that has any number of preowned. The dealers in our area have very few preowned. It seems they all end up in the larger cities. I would think most trucks would automatically have tow packages? Just a guess on my part. We've never owned a truck. Hubby and I had a Safari Van once, and currently have a Cargo van, but that's as close to a truck that we've ever had!

Appreciate all the input!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Most trucks do not have a tow package. You might look at a Ford Escape (suv) My wife had one we bought used (floor model and used for loaner at the dealer) It had a larger tow package
    than most of the other suv's in that class around 5K if I remember. Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. Jennifer Hickey

Jennifer Hickey New Member

Jul 13, 2017
    TX
    Even just looking can be deceiving. My Yukon xl has the button on the stalk to switch to tow mode which might lead a casual observer to expect a tow package, but does not have what gmc calls the HD tow package meaning it doesn't have an integrated brake controller or higher tow rating.

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I've said it many times on the Portal. Don't get a vehicle with "just enough" tow capacity. And yes, I highly recommend a TV with a tow package. You have positioned yourself to to buy the correct vehicle for towing, so you should to that.

A vehicle with "just enough" tow capacity will eventually give you problems with climbing and towing at higher speeds. A vehicle with no tow package could shorten the life of you drive train. Spending a little more for the correct vehicle now will save you in the long run.

Good luck in your search.

kitphantom and kcsa75 like this.
  9. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Make no assumptions about what you are looking at. If you are looking at certified used, or even just purchasing from a major brands dealer, they should be able to provide you with a complete list of factory installed equipment. Our insurance company gets the info via the vin. Good luck in your search!

10. NorthernSpirit

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Thank you all for your replies. I did a lot of research, as well as with the advise from you all here, I found a 2014 Acadia (accident free and it has a complete history of all maintenance/repairs), with a factory installed tow package, and has a tow capability of 5200 lbs. It has lots of room for my extra "stuff" as well! Finalizing the deal tomorrow. Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  11. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Good Luck with your new tv!

NorthernSpirit likes this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Congrats on the new tv.. Hopefully you can show it off at one of the Ontario Rallies planned for 2018..

13. NorthernSpirit

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Thanks, Snow. We will keep the Rallies in mind.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    What did you do? got on Time Machine and flew to year 2104? It appears that we will not have flying TVs! [LOL]:grin:

15. NorthernSpirit

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    DOH! Can you say Back to the Future?