towing info for a Hybrid

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by BOB-ANNA-DOM, Aug 9, 2018.

1. BOB-ANNA-DOM

BOB-ANNA-DOM Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester NY
    Hello,
    It's been a few years since I have been on the Portal. I have a towing question.
    We own a 2010 Coleman CT184. Unloaded weight is 3578, hitch weight is 320.
    For the last 7 years we have had the camper on a seasonal site. We decided to not renew our site so the camper is coming home.
    When we purchased the camper in 2010 I was hauling it with my Ford Expedition. Well the Expedition is gone and I now have a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition.
    The specs on the hitch is 3500, hitch weight of 350.
    Any thoughts on if the Explorer is strong enough to tow the camper. I still have my anti sway set up. (it looks like a shock the connects to the hitch and the other end to the frame) I don't have the brake controller.
    Thoughts??
    1.jpg

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    You will need a brake controller for sure. I towed my single axle 16 hybrid with a 5000 cap 500 tongue weight TV and it did the job ..slowly and the mpg went way way down. We are going on longer trips next spring so we held to update our tow vehicle.
    Just to add .... our son had a V8 2005 explorer and it was a dog pulling this trailer.

3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    If I was at max capacities on either trailer weight or tongue weight, I would want to know for sure how much
    it weighed. Local truck stop scales are great for that. Are you just asking about towing it home, or this will become the new Tow Vehicle? Is 3500 lbs the "max/towing capacity", because you're definitely over weight and
    that's if no one is in the truck but the driver.

Having said that, and this isn't an opinion one way or the other, just a stated fact; when Auto Manufacturer's
    list capacities such as "towing" they do so thinking "daily". In other words, Ford is saying you can tow 3500lbs
    max, every day of the week. I only bring that up because I remember way back in the day my dad using a 4door
    1983 Pontiac Bonneville, to tow a fully self-contained camper that dropped the car to it's axle before he used
    the leveler hitch, lol. Took that thing from Ky to Florida and back more than once. Again, that's not advice, just
    information. Good luck!

4. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    You're maxed out before you even add gear or people... I'd only tow it as far as to another seasonal campground... not regularly. Maybe you can downsize the trailer? Or trade in the explorer?

5. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    My best suggestion is if you are just towing it home, try to borrow a friends or relatives vehicle that is big enough to handle it to bring it back and then figure out your towing situation. Not having a brake controller and thus no trailer brakes would be my first concern. Sure you can get it going, but can you get it stopped.

Also from what I have read here, if you put your antisway hitch on that adds to your tongue weight and would probably put you over. Also everyone here says use GVWR, not dry weight because a trailer is truly never dry.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I agree with the above statements. The explorer as a permanent tow vehicle is a bad idea. Even if you were to use the explorer just to get the camper home, I wouldn't tow it without camper breaks which needs a break controller. That camper would be pushing your car around way too much. Do you have any friends with large SUV or trucks you can borrow just to get the unit home?

7. BOB-ANNA-DOM

BOB-ANNA-DOM Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester NY
    Thanks Guys,
    I had a feeling that I was over the limit. I never liked towing the hybrid even when I had my Expedition.
    I do have a fellow camper that is going to bring it home for us. It's an easy 30 minute ride and he has an F350 set up for pulling his 40' monster lol.
    The goal is to go back to a small pop up since it will be just my wife and I so that I can tow it with the Explorer.
    Thanks for the advice......

8. BOB-ANNA-DOM

BOB-ANNA-DOM Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester NY
    I was able to get the specs off of the camper tag:
    The GAWR front and rear is 3000 lb.
    The brochure says 3500 unloaded weight and 1482 for net cargo capacity.
    This info means nothing to me.
    Thanks