towing mirrors

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by peter moyes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. peter moyes

peter moyes Member

Feb 6, 2018
    i have a 2002 ford f150 ,do i need toewing mirrors towing a coleman 12 ft sodona

2. peter moyes

peter moyes Member

Feb 6, 2018

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Well your Sedona is probably 7.5 feet wide, so how wide are the mirrors on the F150 apart?

4. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Iron Station, NC
    Really depends on what your field of vision is around the camper. I know with our Expedition I can behind the camper about 3 car lengths but anything closer to the back of the camper I cannot see that is side mirrors. I can see over the roof of the camper if the vehicle behind it is a truck or larger I can see in rear view.

5. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I can't find any requirements on Towing Mirrors online with a few minutes of Googling, most references are a personal preference.

I did find one reference to someone that said NY state *may* them if the trailer is wider than the vehicle, but there was confusion if they were reading the *Oversized* load requirements.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    MyName likes this.
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    x2 on tombiasi's link.

The wider the mirrors, the better you will see what is behind you. Every state is different. My home state says:

Every motor vehicle, which is connected with another vehicle so that it obstructs the driver’s rear view, must be equipped with a rearview mirror that enables the driver to see for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the last vehicle being towed.

Use your home state's requirements to be legal. Go beyond your home state's requirements if you want even better vision.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Personally I found them helpful even if I can see with my stock mirrors. When I tow I have the trailer mirrors angled to look down the trailer like normal But the TV mirrors are angled to cover my blind spot. This also helps when backing into a spot as well.

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If I were you I would switch to the Super Duty mirrors that adjust in & out manually. I have mine set at 1 notch out from the cab and can see everything on both sides. Remember when towing you need to see down the sides of the trailer & what is next to it when turning so the wider your vision the more of the side you can see. For example when parked next to a sidewalk you should be able to see the poles & other obstacles there.

10. peter moyes

peter moyes Member

Feb 6, 2018
    anyone got any miffots that snap over the ford2002f150 ..i got a pair that strap on ,not so good .do i need mirrors to tow 12 x7 ft trailer

11. peter moyes

peter moyes Member

Feb 6, 2018
    mirrors i ment lol

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
  13. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I tow my Coleman Utah with a 2003 F150 with just the stock mirrors...no problem.

14. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I had a set of strap on mirrors for my Caravan, that I don't have any more, (Caravan or extra mirrors). They went on pretty easy, but vibrated pretty bad at highway speeds. You could still see if something was back there behind the trailer, you just couldn't make it out clearly.
    I have the big factory tow mirrors on my F150. The big ones that stick out like animal antlers. I bought the truck when it was 1 year old, and it came with them as part of the factory tow package. They are fantastic to see back there. I highly recommend them. I also tow a 20 ft boat and an ATV trailer, so I need to see whats back there.
    These big mirrors did create an unrelated problem though. My garage doors are only 8 feet wide. Even if I roll down the driver's window and swing the mirror in, the truck still will not fit in through the door. Thats not too horrible, because I usually park outside during the summer anyway, but I would like to put it inside during the winter. So I went on a 'for sale' site here called kijiji, similar to Craig's list, and found some regular factory mirrors for it. I paid $150 for both. They are even heated and have the turn signals in them just like my tow mirrors. So I do the mirror swap thing every spring and fall. Take off the inside door panels (4 screws and it lifts straight up and off), unclip one wire connector at the mirror, take off 3 nuts, and the mirror is off. I have it all down to a science, I can change both mirrors in about 20 minutes total. I still have to swing the driver's mirror in to get through the garage door, but at least it's inside.

I don't know how badly, or legally, you need tow mirrors for your set up, but the price of one ticket could go a long way towards buying some different mirrors.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  15. peter moyes

peter moyes Member

Feb 6, 2018

16. peter moyes

peter moyes Member

Feb 6, 2018
    you are right i am getting the trailer saturday have maybe 3 miles to parking spot ,if i dont like it ,i will not tow it till i am feeling safe

jumpoff likes this.
  17. jnc

The new power mirrors have power folding.

18. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yeah, I know. I looked into putting some on, but it was just too expensive for me. I'm in a routine now that works good for me, so I'll just keep at it. Maybe the next truck will have power folding ones.

19. jnc

Do you remember what the cost was?

20. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I'm sorry, I don't remember. This was about 3 years ago when I was looking into it all. I barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday. I couldn't find any used mirrors on-line. New ones were horrendous, like $500 a piece or something. Then I was going to need the switch for in the door, and there were relays and a bunch of extra wiring that had to go in. It was all too much for what I thought I would gain from it.