Towing PUP with golf cart in truck bed?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Spartacus, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

Anyone out there bring their golf cart with them while towing their PUP? I have a 6.5' bed and am looking for good ideas or recommendations on how to do it. We will be taking a trip to Florida from Tennessee, so quite a distance. What do you got?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Well, it all depends on your available tow capacity.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You need to to check your trucks payload sticker and do the math. I feel certain you will have to remove the truck's tailgate.

Spartacus likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I've seen it done with a 4 wheeler and popup but it was being towed with a full-size extended cab pickup truck. The truck did squat but wasn't drastic. Then again this was a big truck that had more than enough play in his numbers. I suggest to put the golf cart in the back of the truck and get your set up weighed. Than compare it to your max numbers for the truck particularly the tongue and rear axle weight of your truck. Then you can determine if you have enough payload to handle the popup as well. Too many factors are in play here for us to determine if it's doable.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Do you have the heavy payload group or the trailer tow package? If not your payload is roughly 1,700 lbs. I think a typical golf cart weighs in at 600-1,000 lbs. Your 1206 has a factory tongue weight of 310 lbs, with a GVWR of 3,450 lbs fully loaded.

How many people in the truck with you on the trip? How much cargo/gear will be packed as well? You might be looking at 1,400 lbs just with the loaded trailer and golf cart, which won't leave much room for passengers, golf clubs, etc.

Definitely need to figure out the weight of your golf cart and go from there. Electric ones are much heavier due to the batteries compared to a gas unit.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

As others have said you need to observe the total vehicle weight. Any weight behind the axle is also tongue weight.

7. MattF350

MattF350 Member

What truck are you using?
    My F350 can do it but a Tacoma cant.

xxxapache likes this.
  8. Pnut

Pnut Member

I haul mine in the back. It's a gas e-z-go. It squats some but is not bad. I have to remove the tailgate and load it with some aluminum ramps. It barely fits in the truck, the back tires just make it in the truck by a few inches. I use a good strap to hold it in with no problems. I have only traveled about 50 miles with it but have not had any problems.
    [​IMG]

Spartacus likes this.
  9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

I have a 2014 F150 CrewCab 5.0L with a long bed (6.5’). I have the towing package and according to my manual (4500lbs payload) I should have plenty of payload room. I also installed an AirLift load lifter so I have no sag in my bed when loaded. Pup tongue weight is 400lbs. 2 adults and 2 young children. All our gear is stored in camper. Camper gross weight is 3400lbs

I was more wondering about tailgate and interference with trailer tongue jack. Some people just remove their tailgate and others I’ve seen wrap they’re tailgate cable around the latches so tailgate hangs halfway down. Someone else I saw had a curt multi ball hitch that extended their ball several inches or more.

I’ll probably just have to try some of these things on my own before my trip and see what works best.

10. MattF350

MattF350 Member

What does the sticker on your truck door say?
    4500 is pretty high for a half ton.

11. Pnut

Pnut Member

My bed is 6.5 feet also and the tailgate would hit the jack if I turned any. I don't think I could leave the tailgate on and pull it up because the length of the golf cart. The rear tires would not let it come up much at all. It's easy to take the tailgate off.

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

Ok I was way wrong on payload. Should 1500lbs payload capacity.

13. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Don’t know what a golf cart weighs, I do know in my neck of the woods, people; myself included, haul quads or motorbikes and their trailers together frequently. So what you propose is within the realm of possibilities. As mentioned, probably need to remove the tailgate and take a trip to the scales to see where things stand.

Good luck with your endeavor.