Towing with '16 JK Unlimited?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dmmcnair, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Starting in 2012, Jeep added transmission coolers to the automatic transmissions when they switched to the 5 speed.
  2. harley97

harley97 New Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Port Angeles, WA
    I drive a 2012 JKUR manual. I just bought a 2006 Starcraft 11RT. It tows great. I plan to add a brake controller and a wd hitch soon. 6th gear is pretty useless, but other than that it tows better than I expected it too. I also have a 2.5" lift.
  3. bigal45lc

bigal45lc New Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Late to the game on this, but my .02 worth.
    The unlimited has a better wheelbase for towing compared to it's little brother.
    It also has the weight. Bear in mind my old 2001 Cherokee was factory rated for 5000# and it's nearly 1000# lighter!
    The tranny and engine will do fine, as all Jk's have a cooler for the tranny.
    The factory and the Etrailer hitch shown connects to the frame crossmember, and limits capacity for that reason.
    There are aftermarket bumpers with built in class 3 rated hitches, these connect to the frame rails as well as the crossmember, and are much stronger. I have the Atlas.
    I have towed a StarCraft 11RT with my 2015 Rubicon unlimited loaded with this combo, like Harly97 with 2.5" lift, no issues at all but the electric brakes are a must IMHO.I would also recommend upgrading the Jeep brakes to slotted/drilled rotors, far better all around and cheap insurance for all driving.
  4. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's a proven fact that a longer wheelbase will help, along with added weight. This shows at factory rated tow rating. Which is why people will usually add the number of doors (unlimited hasn't always meant 4 doors).

Back in 2001 things were way different. ****, the CJ-7 has a higher weight rating than my '12 and I can't tell you the difference in words.

All JK's do NOT have a tranny cooler. This became a standard in 2012 with automatic transmissions. No idea why you followed up my post covering this with an additional post after this one giving false information.

No idea on this (not e-trailer fluent)

I would believe it but don't know.

I agree with trailer brakes which most people don't always agree with. It's easy, makes it feel better, and most the people I talk to bring in the times back when they towed X with so much pounds back in the day and did 'fine', it's just insurance and would always recommend. Honestly, no idea about the rotors... Never had a problem, but could look into it next time I do brakes, Thanks.
  5. petefuller

petefuller New Member

Aug 27, 2017
    I'm towing with a JKU, 2dr, not JKunlimited, 4Dr. The hitch is the same for both vehicles, basic unit bolts to frame cross rail with 4 bolts and as others have said, its 15 mins to install , unless you have to drop the muffler to get it bolts 2/3, then its 30 mins.
    I had a 7pin harness and brake controller installed at a shop, it was $500 plus tax. There are several controllers on the market, dont buy the $39 one. Spending a bit more will get you a better contoller.
    I personally wouldn't pull a PUP without electric brakes with the 2 dr, I would consider it with the 4dr if the weights were within limits, but the brakes make a significant difference in drivability.
    The 3.6L engine/transmission pulls very well, its the stopping part to focus on.
    When your PUP shopping watch the weights posted by manufactures, dry vs loaded is often huge and dont forget to add to your calculation all the toys,chairs,appliances, rugs that seem to make thier way into the PUP. You'll be amazed what all the extras will add up to.
  6. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You can not own a JKU 2 door. They do NOT exist. JK = 2 door Jeep Wrangler (2007-2018) JKU = 4 door Jeep wrangler (2007 - 2018). There is also the Jeep wrangler unlimited from 2004 - 2006 which had 2 doors and a longer wheel base.

That being said, in some places towing under 2,000 lbs wouldn't be unlawful to not have trailer brakes and I don't think anyone would have a problem. I use them because my trailer came with them. Preference nonetheless.
  7. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Thanks everyone for adding information. We are just waiting on refund time to get all the towing essentials to the jeep. I'm still looking at pups. It's amazing how many different numbers there are when looking on dealer sites, compared to the manufacturer sites. Luckily I do have wonderful friends that can tow a pup for me if I find one before we get the jeep decked out.