Towing with a 2018 Odyssey

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by ryangates13, Jul 20, 2018.

1. ryangates13

ryangates13 Member

Jan 26, 2017
    I'm going to be towing my pup with my van. I'm doing research on how to set up the van. I'm going to put in a brake controller and I'm trying to figure or what to do to help with the sag caused by the weight. I'm a newbie to all this so any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    How big is the pup and what is the tongue weight? If it’s at the higher end, you may need to explore weight distributing hitches (WDH).

Otherwise, airbags or a rubber spring like a Timbren do a great job at stiffening up the rear suspension. I added some Airlift 1000s to our Sienna and they help a ton. They were really easy to install on it, though the process may be different on your Odyssey.

3. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    We tow with a 2014 Ody, have installed the Timbren springs and a transmission cooler.

4. ryangates13

ryangates13 Member

Jan 26, 2017
    It weighs about 1500 dry and hitch weight is 175. All in all pretty light.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Your van is so new that I don't see anything in regards to what shocks fit, but for sure you could add air bags. I have used those on a previous Ody. They work well and you can adjust them. About $80 and then installation (can DIY). Tranny cooler is a very good idea (I would call it a must). Other than that, sounds like you are ready to go.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  6. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Do you have the factory tow package? I added a non-Honda hitch to my 2011 Odyssey and that is the only reason it sits a little low. If I'm loaded down it scraps when going into my driveway. Thinking about adding airlifts. If you have the factory hitch, it sits higher and may not be an issue.

If you do not have a transmission cooler (the factory package includes a small one), have one added.

Your pop up is light like mine (Rockwood 1640), so you should be in good shape!

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

My Odyssey owners manual specifically says never to use WDH. Really should never need one on a pup anyway.

We put rear air bags on ours, it was easy DIY. Also added a transmission cooler.