Towing with a Honda Fit

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by chicopeejim, Aug 17, 2016.

1. chicopeejim

chicopeejim New Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I would like to hear from other Quicksilver 6.0 owners.

I am going to Maine from Massachusetts.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Welcome to the forum! You don't mention what year your Fit is, but for the 2010 model, Honda says "Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer." Knowingly operating a vehicle outside of its design limitations can open you up to some serious liability should anything happen.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Re: honda Fit

Welcome.

The key is to know what the limit for towing of your vehicle is. What is your Fit rated to tow? If it is not designed to tow, I'd stick with that. To rig it to tow would not only be likely less than safe, but it could damage the Fit.
    Even with a lightweight pup like the QS 6.0, you need to be within specs. One of the numbers I see tossed around is to stay under a percentage of tow capacity, usually 70-80%.
    Our first pup was even lighter than the QS 6.0. We towed it with an Outback rated for 1000# w/o trailer brakes, 2000# with (looks like the QS has the option of brakes, BTW). Without brakes, it did well (the 4Runner did a bit better) but I would not want to push a vehicle to tow even a lightweight pup if it was not designed to do so.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I was just checking the owners manual for the Honda Fit (2015 I believe) and it says on page 307 "your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties."

And on page 305 it says the load limit is 850 lbs.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I heard of someone towing with a Fit, but it didn't seem like a good idea to me even without the apparently usual "your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer" rating.
    (I'm assuming the load limit is within the Fit, as opposed to towing it.)

6. 87ColemanLaramie

87ColemanLaramie Member

Apr 27, 2015
    NJ
    Keep in mind that there are major stresses to the transmission, brakes and frame that the vehicle was never intended for.
    Even the Quicksilver seems a bit heavy to tow with a small 4 banger. Seems like you would be navigating steep grades at times too.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that set-up.

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    A buddy has a Fit with a hitch added, used it several times to pull a kayak trailer with 2 boats and our camping gear... maybe 800lbs and the car struggled on hills but done OK on flat ground...managed to run 80MPH thru the flats of FL...
    Personally I would not try towing with it

8. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Mar 1, 2016
    Wisconsin
    OP posted the shortest question ever asked on a forum that commands a long answer. Asking the smallest econobox available on the market to tow is simply the wrong car for the job. There are hundreds if not thousands of other sedans and small SUVs out there that can achieve what you intend. Do you use hammers to saw boards or screw bolts? There is a reason I don't commute with a semi truck.

I'd ask what else you plan to load up? Are you driving by yourself or with the family? Are you bringing any camping gear? Or a stocked cooler along? With its 700-1000lb cargo capacity (depending on the year), I think you'll find that anything but you + a full tank of gas will eliminate a trailer from the realm of possibility. The dry weight of the QS6.0 alone is almost 800lbs.

Then, if you still decide this is a safe setup and your warranty is already expired (so who cares?), what are you going to do to upgrade the car? Put on a hitch? Add a transmission oil cooler? Those things certainly won't be available OEM through Honda. For a manufacturer to publish "your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer" - in an era of people happy to push limits of equipment - is a pretty serious admission of what it's incapable.

I think, in the interest of your safety and everyone's around you, you have two options. One would be choosing to drive a Fit and go buy a tent (which is what a QS6.0 essentially is). The other would be to get yourself a QS6.0 and upgrade your tow vehicle. For that matter, you could try finding a winter beater to use for towing that would be safer than this set up.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Amen brother.

10. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Jun 13, 2014
    The words towing and Honda Fit should never be in the same sentence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Mar 1, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I would add one thing to my original assessment. Suppose you decide to tow and install all the equipment required to to do so. This will not be an enjoyable experience. The suspension will be overworked, sagging the rear end, potentially bottoming out throughout the drive, and compromising the handling. New England is scenic and hilly. The engine and transmission would be overworked. The brakes would be overworked. I'm thinking this will be a white knuckling, butt cheek clinching trip over which you would not have control.

Reminds me of this clip. Having lived in CT for a year, I can imagine a Masshole trying this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyXgMal3C1U

12. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Masshole - lol! I thought it was only New Hampshirites that used that terminology!

gladecreekwy likes this.
  13. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Do you have any example of that claim? I read that several times and couldn't find anything supporting it.

14. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
  15. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    If you want to tow with a Fit, your selection should be limited to the pups that are made for motorcycles. They are light weight, very basic, and essentially consist of a bed and storage area. I used to tow a Kwik Kamp behind my BMW motorcycle.

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Plenty of people use a pick up as a daily driver and it wasn't designed as a commuter either.

To the OP, it really depends.
    Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission?
    How often and how far do you want to tow?
    How hilly/mountainous will the routes be you are towing on?
    Will you be by yourself or are you going to take people?
    Do you need a RV battery and a propane tank?

If it would be a manual, with just my wife and myself, no battery and no propane I would do it. But we pack in general very light. People in the US usually freak out if you tow with a small vehicle. It can be easily done, just don't expect wonders and keep the speed at 55 MPH. The Fit is rated in Europe for over 2000lbs. Your biggest issue will be tongue weight.

FYI I pull about 2000lbs with a manual Jetta with around 8% of tongue weight. I have no issues.

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I checked, it doesn't say anything about somebody being suit? It basically says, don't do stupid stuff and if you do, we (Honda) are not liable for that. We have insurance for when we do stupid stuff.

18. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Check with your insurance company about that. Most policies include a clause that states they won't cover stuff if you're using your car in a manner in which it was not intended.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Rent a pick up if needed. The Honda Fit isn't "fit" to tow anything. [RTM]

20. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Jun 13, 2014
    ^^^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk