Towing with your older vehicle

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by JunieB, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I’ve got 210k on my 08 Duramax and won’t hesitate to tow our Pup next fall to Maine from Texas.

hayyward likes this.
  2. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Yes, apparently I impressed the heck out of a FL dealer a few years back, in for just a routine maintenance check & oil. They said WHOA you have taken great care of this car-- it even has new struts on it!
    That was at oh, like 175,000 miles or so. As if no one ever buys struts? Oh well.
    I ignore any mechanics who try to diss that car and talk trash about it.

It has no visible rust on outside body despite being a northern car for many years. I had a very good mechanic up north. Not so much in Florida. "Trust" and "Florida" don't always belong in the same sentence.
    Just have to plan on ALWAYS brakes, tires, batteries is simply routine, and every once in a while there is a $1,000 "surprise" due to high cost of Parts on that name.

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I tend to agree. No matter how well you take care of something, it's still a machine and machines wear out eventually.

Having said that, I have cousin who is a furniture manufacturers rep. He had a Lexus that last time I checked, had 475K miles and he wasn't thinking of replacing it.

Me, I have a 1972 Chevy PU that I towed my boat and Pup with until we bought the F-150. Our 2004 Explorer had 170K miles and was going strong until grand daughter totaled it out this past summer, and a 1998 Cadillac with 97K. [:)C]

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Just don't overlook the chassis/brake parts. You want to stay on the road and stop.

5. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    My son the mechanic is the special care I give my TV. I also converted all fluids to Amsoil. Last ruck we had for 15 years and it was still good. We had 350,000 miles on it. The deal on the newer one was just too good at the time. And we were thinking of moving to the darkside and wanted more tow payload/capacity.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  6. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    2 things overlooked with older vehicles. Brake fluid and coolant. Both should be looked at.

7. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    It all comes down to maintenance, I'd rather drive an older high mileage vehicle that has been well maintained than a newer lower mileage vehicle that hasn't been maintained.

gail58 and xxxapache like this.
  8. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    I tow with the same vehicle I drive most every day, the '98 S-Blazer. 4.3 v6 auto. I don't do anything special just due to towing, but I do try to stay up on all of the routine maintenance, just to keep it on the road and happy. It's low miles for its age, I just rolled past 138,000, and I've had most all of the mechanical problems that these were known for, happen, and have had them fixed. I don't have many real worries about taking the rig out on a trip, but with this combo I try to limit my speed to 60-65, so longer road trips tend to take a bit of time at that pace, therefore we usually keep our travels on the shorter side when possible.

We have a car we bought new in '14, and 2 more years on that loan. Am looking to keep the Blazer around until we're out from those car payments, and then will probably try to find something new. This TV and pup match up well enough, but my wife would like to upsize the camper some, and that will mean more tow vehicle will be needed. So we'll see where that takes us.

hq308 likes this.
  9. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Escondido, CA
    I'm towing with my 2003 Tahoe which has 298000 miles on it. I burned up my transmission a few years ago towing my neighbors travel trailer - My fault, I believe, as I hadn't been maintaining the transmission regularly. Lesson learned....

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I tow with a 2004 Ford F150, low mileage @ 150 K I love it and take care of it, the large V8 with towing package pulls anything I want it to pull with no hesitation.
    It has been paid for for a long time now and I intend to keep using it for everything here on the farm and pleasure. DW has a 2011 Toyota Tachoma TRD and she loves it
    she pulls the horse trailer with the horses in it with no problem, but we pull the TT with my truck.

11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I tow with an older minivan, '03 ody with 207K miles on it. I do all the work on it and no issues at all. The last two years, we took long (4K mile+) trips with it and it was great. I have never had an engine or drivetrain on the Ody's fail with proper maintenance, so I don't worry too much. Eventually rust gets them or they get hit and totaled, but can't do much about that. I think if you are keeping up with things, then you know if there are any issues with your vehicle. I happen to drive all my vehicles into the ground, so I don't really worry about things like this too much.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    This may be understating it. [LOL]
    I use pretty much the same exact set as Ductape. $10 ELM327 OBD-II Bluetooth adapter and an android tablet. Will monitor most things on cars 1996 and newer. Reads and resets trouble codes.
    My TV is only 7 years old. But I monitor things so it'll become a 10 year old truck.

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Just towed about 900 miles in 6 days, lots of highway and mountains!! The TV clicked 285k on the trip!!

hq308 and neighbormike like this.
  14. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    because “dang hanging thing” didnt work

15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    hey! i resemble that remark.
    my old truck is still going & towing!