Towing

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Drew78, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Drew78

Drew78 New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Vermont
    Hi, I’m new to this site and looking into getting a PUP by next year. My question is about towing. I have a 2017 JKU Jeep, rated at 3,500. I looking to get a Rockwood ESP 232 or a Trek V3. The reason behind these models is because of the storage rack and the slide.
    I know that the dry weight is under 3k but the max weight is more than my Jeep is rated for. I don’t own an ATV so I won’t be using the rack for anything but normal camping supplies. The back of my Jeep will be used to transport our dog (GSD). Do I need to be concerned with this? Thoughts?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Here is the deal about dry weight. On campers under a certain year the dry weight is absolutely meaningless. They do not include the weight of the AC, the furnace or any other option. It would not include the propane or battery weight either.. so unless you are able to get the camper weighed to get the true weight I wouldn't risk it. Not to mention all the gear weight you will be bringing. Amazing how quickly weight can add up to. Good example my popup's dry is 2500 however the true weight is close to 3000 and that did not include my gear. Not to mention you also have to look at your actual payload numbers on your vehicle that is what really bites you. Never realized my vehicle didnt account for passengers in my vehicle so their weight also had to be deducted from my Max payload.

Drew78 likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline. You have almost answered your own question. Yes your Jeep may be rated at 3500 pounds, but there are other factors. Do you want a short wheelbase pulling a long trailer. I know friends that tow a R-pod with a Jeep and they have told me that if the trailer was wider or any longer they would be over their heads towing it. Do you really need to bring all that stuff? Or a platform and a slide? Just my 2 cents.

4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't know what a "JKU Jeep" is, but it sounds to me like you will be well beyond the reasonable load limits for the tow vehicle and trailer system.

We have been well served by the advice received long ago to keep the total load- trailer and all its contents, plus tow vehicle contents- below 80% of the rated capacity. Trailer contents includes water, food, batteries, propane, bedding, clothing, utensils, tools, sporting equipment, and whatever else you put in and on the trailer. Just for grins, find out how much water the tank holds, add 6 gallons for the water heater, and multiply by 8.3 pounds per gallon. Now add in 55 lbs for each battery, and 45 pounds for each propane tank. Also allow for what's in the Jeep- your weight, any other people, dog, cooler, etc. Doesn't leave much room for all the other things.

Three choices: get a smaller popup, get a bigger tow unit, or drop the whole idea.

5. Drew78

Drew78 New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Vermont
    We want the slide for the open floorplan, we have a large breed dog and two kids. The things that we would bring would be a cooler and kids bikes. We don’t have a lot... as of now.

6. Drew78

Drew78 New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Vermont
    JKU is a 4 door wrangler. Thanks for the bigger picture.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Find another TV as another poster said or a smaller pup cause you will be over weight. Personally I don't like to tow anything over 85% of the max weight

8. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    As previous posts. Most likely you will surpass your payload.

Even if you can make the numbers work. Towing at max capacity is usually not fun or enjoyable. Doodlebooping down the interstate with a swaying trailer sucks.

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    The reason why the Jeep, even the 4 door version, is rated at what’s now considered a “low weight” (same as a front wheel drive minivan) is that their center of gravity is simply not conducive to towing. The risk outweighs the reward in this case. Having said that, maybe now it’s time to pick up that used Explorer/Blazer/Durango to have for the pup. I have always thought you’re better off finding the camper that you like and it fits and then adjusting the TV. Otherwise you won’t have as much fun which means you may go less and that’s never a good plan.

Drew78 likes this.