Trailer brake wiring help

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Col Angus, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Col Angus

Col Angus New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Hello,
    I have been troubleshooting my trailer brakes on my Fleetwood popup and found that the wires by the wheel have come apart. Any ideas on how they should be reconnected? The top wire that has been disconnected is the blue trailer brake wire coming from the hitch.

IMG_0633.jpg

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I seriously doubt anyone will be able to tell you which wire in your wire groups shown will go to the brake magnet or to frame ground...

This is a wiring diagram for a typical trailer setup using the 7-way connection from the truck side...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Basically the WHITE WIRE should go to frame ground and the BLUE WIRE has to go to both BRAKE MAGNETs. The other side of the BRAKE MAGNETs wiring should go to frame ground. Your two BRAKE MAGNETS should be wired in parallel with each other...

As you can see the wiring has been broken before and quick local wiring fixes have been done by previous owner. Always hard to figure out what someone else has done... My GUT FEELING would be the two wires twisted together will go to the BLUE WIRE coming from the the truck connector. I personally would not do this until I checked out where the two twisted wires go to first. Hopefully you will find those two wires twisted together will be one wire going to each of your two BRAKE MAGNETS...

Best thing for me would be to use a MULTIMETER and determine where all of those wires go. ETRAILER com would be a good place to go to on-line to see their drawings...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    The blue wire will go to the magnet in the wheel. I would use heat shrink sealed butt connectors. By using heat shrink connectors you are keeping moisture out

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome from South Carolina. I pack the butt splices ends with Silicone before heat shrinking. Since the wires are round, there can be two tiny channels that can wick water into the connection.

6. Col Angus

Col Angus New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    I got the brakes working. Thanks everyone for the help! Roy, you were right that the two twisted wires went to the blue wire. Not sure why the previous owner used a butt end connector to splice the 3rd set of wires.