trailer electric connection - question about wire colors

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Chris N Mowery, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Chris N Mowery

Chris N Mowery New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    hi

my 1986 palomino MXL has brown, green, white, black, and red wires, no yellow to connect to on my harness and what are the black and red wires

thanks for any help

chris

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Colors are not always standard. But Brown/green/white/black are the standard colors of a 4-flat trailer connector. I'm just guessing, but red could be a 12V connection for battery charging. Or... do you have trailer brakes?

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline. The best tried and true way to connect the wires is to id the wire functions first. I would not go by the colors of the wires. Connect a spare battery etc with the negative post going to the metal frame of the trailer and with a wire connected to the pos terminal, feed each wire and see what lights up. For the feed to the convertor turn on the camper dome light and see if one of the left over wires make them work.....that should be the convertor wire.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    White is usually ground on DC circuits, If you have breaks on the unit one of the colors could be for the break away switch , Green and brown are probably turn / break , another color should be running lights . Red is most likely the break away switch. I agree that hooking up a battery and trying the colored wires one at at time is probably the best answer

5. Chris N Mowery

Aug 9, 2018
    Thank you all for your information, I'll try your suggestions and let you know what I find.

Chris

6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
  7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    You may need to do some testing to figure out what each one does since it appears it may not be standard. First figure out which wire is ground (usually white and should go right to the frame near the connector). Then connect the ground wire to the negative post of a battery and start connecting the positive to the various other wires and see what they do. Then write the functions down and keep it in a safe place for the future. It would be a good idea to run this hot lead through a fuse just in case.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My F150 Truck has the DUAL 7-way and 4-way trailer connector on it. The connector lids have the legend of the wiring on it. If yours is like this should be pretty easy to match up the wires in your cable for what goes to what...

[​IMG]
    Google photo

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

9. Chris N Mowery

Aug 9, 2018
    thank you everyone for your help, i did it! heading out tomorrow with legal trailer lights and license plate. i had neither of these 2 days ago.

thanks again, chris

tfischer likes this.