Trailer squeaking

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Quackerjacks, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Quackerjacks

Quackerjacks New Member

Our 2009 Viking Epic (no brakes) makes a lot of noise on even the slightest bit of road bumps. Is there anything that I can do to make that go away?

2. Fless

Fless Active Member

Had that on my '02 Cheyenne with leaf springs, although I don't know if your spring setup is the same. I could stand on the step door and the springs would squeak. Also when going down the road.

Mine are leaf springs, attached on the front end with a shackle and bolt through the end of the spring. On the other end (the back end, on mine) the spring has just a downward bend at the end, loosely captured by a shackle with a bolt through it, but the top of the spring touches the bottom of the trailer frame. As the frame moves up and down, the spring flexes a little and the top of the spring rubs on the frame. I forced a screwdriver between the spring and the frame to make a gap, and put some white lube on the contact surfaces. That cured the squeak on mine.

If you have the same spring setup, check for loose suspension bolts first and maybe shoot some lube between the spring and the frame. A light lube like WD40 would probably be a good test, but wouldn't last long.

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Just a side note here.......there is absolutely no lubrication provided with WD40. It will temporarily 'un-stick' things, but will evaporate over time. This product was actually designed for water displacement (hence the name).

tombiasi likes this.
  4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I would recommend pressure washing the springs. Any type of lube attracts dirt, dirt causes squeaking. But I would also check to make sure the springs are ok and that the shackles are wearing normally. If the shackles are not tightened correctly, the bolt holes will elongate and they will squeak like crazy. Replacing the shackles and bolts is very easy, as well as the springs.

5. Winchested

Winchested Member

My slipper springs squeak like crazy too lol. When doing my spring over conversion I noticed the wear in the top of my rear mount, will likely need to cut those off and weld some new ones on in the next year or two. But some good grease on that contact point will alleviate the noise but it doesn't last long.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You have to be careful just saying WD40 now-a-days. They now have a line of products called WD40 even lube.

7. Quackerjacks

Quackerjacks New Member

thanks for the great responses! When I inspect the springs and shackles, what am I looking for as far as signs of wear?

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I bet you will find the bushings worn out.. Look to see if you can install a wet bolt and bushing kit..

9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I put dry lube w/ teflon in between the springs as well as shackles and eyelets. It's a temporary fix since as soon as the weather changes, it has to be done again. A pernament fix would be to install new bushings of a better quality, and teflon based spring liners in the stack. Otherwise, they are just squeaky

10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Wasn't aware. Thanks.

11. Fless

Fless Active Member

I'd be inspecting the bushings but that's a relatively newer trailer @Quackerjacks has. If it has the slipper springs, the contact point would be the place I'd look first. Might be something simple.

_

12. Fless

Fless Active Member

Can't say that I've ever quoted myself in a post. Ok, what I described was a slipper spring, on the "slipper" end. And I should have said "UNlike" WD40. [;)]

_