Trash cans inside?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Kasey B, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Kasey B

Kasey B New Member

we had a hybrid before and now have a Rockwood ESP popup. With both campers we struggled (and are struggling) on how to store trash inside. There’s not really enough room for a proper trash can so we use disposable grocery bags and toss them as they fill. Just curious on what others do!

2. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

If I'm in a place with lots of wildlife, at night I'll store them in the back of the van.

We use small office-sized trash containers though, with plastic shopping bags.

JWeible, WunFiddy and Rik Peery like this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We use grocery store bags, take them to the dumpster after breakfast amd supper.

WunFiddy, KamperKel, Fbird and 3 others like this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

The inside of a door of one of my under sink cabinets has a wire hanger made for the smallest garbage bags.

Fischymom likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like mentioned above if I'm in an area with wildlife I will keep trash in the SUV. Or use the small grocery bags and dump every day. I do have a small trashcan with a lid I keep outside for the campgrounds more "in town". It's small but tall enough I can push it in the wheel well to prevent the lid from opening if a critter was to push the button just right. I've also hung the trash on the lantern hook if the campsite had one. I do all my cooking outside so keeping the trash outside or in the car is actually more convenient.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have an outside table that I use frequently and have hangers for plastic grocery bags, I also use one in the camper in a small trash can, Pebbles takes me for a walk several times a day and we take the bags to the dumpster while she is walking me :) If there is anything in a bag before we retire for the night I close the bag and we take it off the next morning after Breakfast.

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have a jacket rack that hangs right inside the door, from the curtain track. We use grocery bags hung from that and take out to the van when the get full. Everywhere we camp there is always plenty of wildlife and I don't worry about taking it out before night. I'll try to find a photo that shows the hanger thing I'm talking about.

It can be seen in upper left on this photo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Rik Peery likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For cooking outside, we clip a grocery bag to the table or table cover. Again, it goes to the dumpster as soon as meal clean up is done.
    We camp where squirrels, mice, ravens, bears, and other animals can be attracted to trash. [We learned to keep the gray water bucket on its side after a mouse jumped in (probably from the table) and could not get out again.]

WunFiddy and Rik Peery like this.
  9. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

We have a small 4 litre bin with a lid that we use. When we leave the campsite for an outing and during the night, it goes in the car. It takes up no room at all in the trailer. We take to the dumpster when it's full usually after 2 days. It doesn't tend to get stinky - if it does, it goes to the dumpster sooner.

10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

IMG_1311.JPG Used a Wally Weird or Kroger sack hung on a lantern post also, & an itty bitty hook w/ a sack in the Ranger by the door & dispose of daily...to keep squirrels/grackles off the table, I usually carry a plastic hawk, works pretty good...got a giant arse owl w/ a solar panel in the top of his head that'll hoot & flash his eyes if a wood pecker lands on the deck, may take him someday & try it out...

11. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We put a plastic grocery bag inside a camper popup trash can that we bought at Walmart. I like the ease the popup can provides for moving it around and the little extra protection against leaks. It stays primarily in the camper and gets dumped daily. Sometimes we move it outside if we're doing a lot of prep work outside.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spiral-Pop-Up-Trash-Bin/16817420

Occasionally, when we're camping with family, we'll use a regular kitchen size trash bag outside as well. We put that in a yardwork popup trash.

12. DanLee

DanLee Member

I hang a grocery bag or a small garbage bag from the shepherd's hook nearest the galley. Once it's full, I tie it closed and take a walk to the dumpster.

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

This bring up a good point. I hate paper plates and cups. And they add to trash quickly . I know no-one is crazy about washing dishes you need hot water and a nice size sink. I have the hot water and a great sink and easy clean a plate >no trash. The supplies (food) is put into baggies to take up space, so again less trash. So if you thing about it and plan ahead you can cut down on the trash in the first place. Just saying.
    A crock pot is a great camping tool and they make crock pot liners that work great. Our trash can looks like a med height square kitty litter pail, even has a handle and a top.

14. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I'm the only trash allowed inside the camper.

We do hang some wally bags on the outside and inside of the rig. Those go to the trash daily. Grab that bag on the way to the potty, kid!

My wife refuses to dump recycle in the trash while camping. So, we pack out the plastic and cans and dump if we find a recycle bin. Many have had to ride home with us to hit a recycle can. There isn't must interest in recycle cans at private campgrounds I suppose.

jumpoff likes this.
  15. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We use a Home Depot bucket and shopping bags indoor & outdoor...

16. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

We don't have a trashcan inside.
    We have a popup laundry hamper from Wal-Mart outside the camper next to the door:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Pop-Up-Spiral-Hamper/195500688
    [​IMG]

We throw a rock in the bottom (it's now part of our camping kit) and a 13 gallon trashbag in it.

Goes inside the SUV every night. At least it has since we had a skunk come and investigate our campsite with us about 5 feet away from us. We waited till he went his merry way, and then moved the trash inside the SUV, and now it's part of the bedtime routine.

17. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

We try not to keep much trash inside, but when we have to, a small box with a disposable bag lining is all we use, and when it fills, it's replaced with another. Still trying to find the best way for us, to manage the outdoor trash. Some of our destinations they provide you with a trash, recycling, and compostable trash bag at check-in. Trying to keep all of those somewhere accessible for use, yet not for wildlife/critters, has been a challenge. I do not like putting garbage in the back of my vehicle, so it usually means a trip to the main dumpster each evening.

18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

With the dogs, I don't want to keep a trash can on the floor, so in the clipper, I use one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J720380/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It hangs on the towel rack by the door. Holds a small wastebasket bag. I toss the bag and contents once a day.

In the FnR, I don't have a good place to hang one of those so I use a narrow wastebasket and set it on the counter. Again, the bag and contents are taken to the bin daily.

Since I stopped drinking soda, my trash has become much easier to manage. I never leave it outside.

Like Raycfe, I use real dishes and utensils and wash up after each meal. I don't mind it when camping - something nice about watching the forest while I wash up.

I have found that the small trash bags are much easier to deal with then the big ones. It's easy to grab on the way to the restrooms or heading out on a walk. I don't feel the need to wait until it's "really full" and I don't have to figure out how to store a half filled trash bag.

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a garbage can outside that black bags fit nicely. On cross country trips we use the small grocery plastic bags and hang them on the pup roof latches. I just flip up the latch and TaDa, instant bag hanger!! Inside we hang them on the cabinet door knobs.

At night the trash bags get put in the back of the SUV.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We Velcro-ed a SnapWare container (without lid) to the wall of our Chalet and use a doggy poo bag as a liner. The bags with handles fit nicely. Trash goes to the dumpster (if we are in a campground) or to a storage container in the tow vehicle (if we are boondocking) whenever we leave camp and before bedtime. We don't create much trash and don't have much room for a trashcan.