Truck Dealers confusing me

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by RDWRER, Jun 21, 2018.

1. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I am looking for a new truck to tow the camper-maybe switch to a hybrid. I have a family of 5 and have 3 teen/tween boys. When looking for a truck I had determined my limiting factor was the payload (since I need to figure about 1000 lbs for my family/dog) and the weight of our stuff. Add to that, if we want to switch to a hybrid at some point I need the increased payload for tongue weight too (right?). Sooo, when I went to the Ram and Ford dealerships looking at trucks, I was already set to look at 2500/250's due to the increased payload. But both dealers told me, emphatically and with conviction, that the payload was only for the bed of the truck and the passengers sit over the front axle, so I don't need to figure what is in the cab ????? I have NEVER heard or read this before and told them so, but they only repeated themselves and sounded very sure. They pointed me to the 1500/150's. Now I'm confused. The first dealer I just blew off as not knowing his stuff, but after the second dealer said it too, maybe I'm missing something?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Payload is anything of weight added to the truck whether its a winch on the front bumper, a poodle in the passenger seat, or the tongue weight of a trailer.

Rusty2192 and kcsa75 like this.
  3. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    That is what I thought. Why are these dealers telling me to ignore the cab??

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

You need to look at the tow rating and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating which takes into account both the loaded weight of the tow vehicle and the trailer.

5. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    ^^2 The salesmen do not have a clue what they are talking about.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Because dealers are not the brightest light bulb in the box.
    I walked in to dealer and asked about a full size pickup 2 wheel drive. They looked at me like I was nuts. If it snows that bad in Connecticut, I'm staying home.

7. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    LOL. That's what I had thought, but the fact that they are giving me the exact SAME misinformation is alarming. Good to know I'm on the right track with a 2500/250.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Why would they talk you out of a bigger truck ............ cause they may have a lot of half tons left. Remember they are salespeople.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  9. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Raycfe, you may be right as both dealers told me they had very few 2500's but lots of 1500's. I'm surprised they came up with the same story to try and switch me to a 1500. Do they teach them these tactics?? lol

10. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Is it possible to be within payload specs and towing specs but still not have the right combination? What are the critical numbers I absolutely need to know?

11. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Because they only stock 1500s. And they probably have a ton of them on the lot.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Just by more truck than you think you need and when you go looking for your hibrid you will have plenty of truck to haul it.

xxxapache likes this.
  13. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You are correct on payload. That said a tow package equipped 1500 series truck from any brand should be plenty of truck to pull 5 people and all hybrids. If you want a 2500 for comfort or piece of mind that's understandable but a bit overkill for occasionally pulling a hybrid around for a weekend trip especially if the truck is a daily driver.

The dealers could be trying to sell you a truck that have plenty of, but it would have to be a dealer offered incentive for them because salesmen would make more commission from a 2500 truck.

They also could have been honest guys trying to save you some cash by knowing that the 1500 is a capable tow vehicle for your needs that were just misinformed on payload definition as it's ingrained that that's what you can haul as in put in the bed of the truck.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I think that you are more than fine with an F150 or 1500 truck. The lowest payload for an F150 is 1700 lbs.

15. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Yes, that's what I'm currently learning about. So, it looks like I may be able to find a F150 that could meet the payload requirements if it has all the right configuration. Is towing very different between a F150 and a 250? This would be driven as a family vehicle but would also make long camping trips and pull over mountains, so I want to feel secure with the towing.

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    In short, yes towing with a bigger vehicle will be a better experience. However with a hybrid the F150 is plenty capable and perfectly safe. You will notice a much bigger inconvenience hauling the family around town 90+% of the time without a trailer if you purchased the bigger vehicle

kcsa75 likes this.
  17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I'll just add, make sure your get something with a FACTORY tow package, over a tow prep package, that the dealer completes..

Halford and Raycfe like this.
  18. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Regarding payload, you need to look at the yellow decal inside the drivers door jamb on every truck you consider. A heavily optioned crew cab F150 can have a payload under 1700.

This is from a 2017 Platinum

ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484241048.308261.jpg

19. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    If you want a 3/4 ton, talk to the guys in charge of commercial fleet vehicles. They won't be the guys that greet you and try to sell you a Raptor. They're tucked away in the back and actually know truck stuff.

Raycfe likes this.
  20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    You could also look at F350 and F450.