trying to reserve State Parks in Colorado

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by tw12, Jul 18, 2017.

1. tw12

tw12 New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm planning a 2-3 week trip next summer (2018) in Colorado. We prefer State Parks as they have hookups, bigger sites and showers! I thought by planning THIS summer, I'd be able to reserve - however all the state parks are showing completely booked for next summer. Are they just not taking reservations yet - or do you have to book 2 years out for these spots? It's frustrating to finally have our camper, and not be able to use it the way we want to. We're constantly dealing with full parks everywhere - even in our home state (Illinois!). :(

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    In Colorado, you're allowed to make reservations just 6 month in advance.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. tw12

tw12 New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    That makes sense - maybe they're just showing full so people don't try to reserve. Back to planning - guess I'll have to wait until December!!

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    With only a 6 month window, book as soon as you can - especially the weekend campsites. On weekends, the Front Range people (eastern side of the mountains - Denver, Colorado Springs, etc.) head west into the mountains and most campgrounds are full. Weekdays are usually fairly easy to get.

Let us know if you'd like any other information.

5. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

Sep 28, 2011
    Trying to make summer of 2018 reservations today, Jan 4th = July 4th = GET YOUR SITES NOW!

However, State Parks in CO, beware of system upgrade, hopefully done this week:

CPW is in the process of implementing a new licensing, pass, registration and reservation system.
    [​IMG]

All purchasing will be unavailable for a few days beginning January 1, 2018. All customers will need to have an individual email address and password to apply for or purchase CPW products with the new system.

6. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    Just our experience here in North Dakota ... we have discovered that people here book an extra day of two ahead of the desired weekend to get inside the reserve window sooner. For example over major holiday weekends people will reserve from Wednesday through Sunday morning to better insure they get the weekend. Most often if you only try to reserve Friday to Sunday morning you wait two additional days to reserve and by that time most sites were reserved two days ago. In addition to that all sites MUST have a unit on site on first reserved day not saying you have to be there the entire time BUT a RV does.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    They may not have all bugs worked out yet.

Today, I was trying to make a reservation for mid-August. Using the link on the CPW website, searches came up empty. It said there were no sites available and little map didn't have any sites, just lines for the road.

Next I tried ReserveAmerica.com. Still said no sites available, but the little squares showed up on the map. I decided to call just to be sure. Had to wait 5-to-10 minutes, but then spoke with a nice woman who fixed me up.
    Ironically, the email confirmation came from ReserveAmerica.com [:)C]

8. Fless

Fless Active Member

Your Colorado State Parks reservation messages will come from ReserveAmerica, but you have to reserve through the CPW site: https://www.cpwshop.com/campinghome.page.

If you had an account last year it may not work to log in. The conversion to IPAWS at the turn of the new year seems to have duplicated some accounts; I had two and neither worked. In that case you have to call during the day and they'll fix it for you, merging the two into one account (took them about 15 min to do mine).

EDIT: guess the help phone line is 24/7. "Help Line: If you are having any issues setting up your CPW IPAWS account, purchasing products, or making reservations, please call 1-800-244-5613 24/7 for assistance."

While you're on the phone, they'll be glad to make your reservations for you if you know dates, park name, site numbers, etc.
    _

9. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Fless is correct- like all data processing conversions, the migration has not gone as smoothly as the vendor promised.

The major problem has been for folks in the separate data bases of the former system. I really needed a lot of help as I was on different DBs as a Hunter Ed Instructor, campground user, hunting and fishing licensee, and research volunteer.

Take heart, the people at the phone helpline are caring and competent.

kitphantom likes this.