TT -- is it really an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Ebisaki, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Ebisaki

Ebisaki Member

Jun 14, 2012
    When we were at Dreher Island SP, SC we met this nice family from Charlotte. They had this huge TT with all the amenities. They had just upgraded from a PU, you could tell since it took them 20 minutes to back it into their spot. It only took them an hour after getting setup to come over and talk to us. First thing they said, "we made a mistake, should have never upgraded!" They said there was no connection to nature and they missed the canvas smell. They spent all this money on a camping mansion and spent all their time outside. I did the upgrade from tent to PU, I have this strong feeling I am done with upgrading (except for mods).

spinningmom and bob barnes like this.
  2. PaulinBawlmer

PaulinBawlmer I'm a traveling man ஃ

Feb 20, 2012
    I tend to bristle at the notion that a TT is an upgrade from a pup. They are entirely different products, with an entirely different experience! Is wine an upgrade from beer? Are hamburgers an upgrade from hotdogs? The cost of a nice new pup is comparable to that of a TT, so if it's not price that's driving this notion that pups are somehow inferior, what is it?

Brianb likes this.
  3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I'm pretty much the same way. For me, the p'up is more of the ultimate tent than it is an introductory RV. That said, it really depends I think. My friends have a TT and they love it. They will occasionally come camping to the mountains with us, but often are just out on the road going here or there and use their TT in lieu of a hotel often.

While they like the idea of the p'up for spending time in the mountains (and are looking into a very basic "tent in a box"), they like their TT for traveling as they have a full kitchen set up with cupboards, walled in bathroom and shower, a real couch, etc.

Now, what I always find ironic is that when it comes to sleeping capacity, a p'up can't be beat...but they're not really worried about that, it's just the two of them. I just have never understood the "we have a big family" and need a TT to accomodate. IMO, a bigger p'up accomodates more people than an equiv sized TT.

spinningmom likes this.
  4. singledad

singledad New Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I feel the same way,I had a tent for many years, now I am trying to get my first pup. I lived in a tt back in the 90's on the local river, that is how I feel, that tts asre good for perment sites, but I can't see pulling them every weekend.

bob barnes likes this.
  5. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

May 31, 2010
    I think it has more to do with setup time and the thought that there's less maintenance on a TT than a PUP. What I learned while searching for a PUP, is that there's just as much maintenance on a TT as a PUP, and 80-90% of owners, rarely do maintenance on either of them. The only real advantage, IMHO, is setup time.

6. br9

br9 Member

May 16, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    I don't know about upgrade but I sure do like mine.

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Jun 26, 2011
    i've never said that we went "UP" to a TT, we went "OVER" to a TT. i think some people worry about silly things too much for their own good.

i totally agree with what's been said about sleeping arrangements. we've had 3 pups, a 5th wheel and 2 TT's, and none of the hard sided campers had sleeping arrangements as good as even the smallest PuP we had. our 27' TT we have now is perfect for DW & I, but when the DD, SIL and DGD come along, then the couch and table both have to be changed out each night for them to have a place to sleep.

we made the change OVER to a TT, mostly because of my disabilities. setting the pup up had just gotten to be too much for me. raising the roof, sliding out the beds, unpacking......as much as i loved the pup, it got to the point i just wasn't able to go camping. we already have more nights camping this year than we did all last year. it gets us out more, is easier to set up and take down. full size kitchen, bathroom with our own shower, don't have to worry so much if it rains. the only thing i have to do when we get home is roll out the awning.

as for maintenance, there is just as much if not more maintenance on this as there was on the pup. ours has a slide, so that has to be lubed. 4 wheel bearings to pack, more to keeping the black and grey waters systems functioning.... that big old rubber roof has to be cleaned and inspected multiple times a year.i do agree with the above post though, so many don't do any maintenance at all anyway. and with the disabilities i have, i have to have everything big done for me now instead of doing for myself. that part of life is STILL hard for me.

a couple of things about the OP's other couple. first of all, just like when they first bought their pup, they're going to have to use that TT and get used to it, get their routine down. when they do, they'll get a little less frustrated with it. i don't understand them having so much trouble backing it in, a longer trailer is usually easier to back than a shorter trailer...but he (or she) will get the feel for that too. secondly, and this was talked about a lot in a thread a few weeks back, sounds like they have a severe case of buyers remorse.

while i admit there are a lot of people who look down their noses at PuPs, no one has to 'bristle' at me and DW, for being in a TT. we certainly don't look down our noses or bristle at anyone in a pup. anyone. and while mine may have some things your Pup doesn't have, you pup has some advantages my TT don't. yeah, we love it, we use it as much as we can

spinningmom, BigRedTruck and Orion like this.
  8. dion

dion Member

Apr 26, 2012
    And here I thought the natural upgrade path from a PUP was to a backpack. It's more mobile, opens up many more possible campsites, has less setup time and less maintenance.

Orion likes this.
  9. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

May 31, 2010
    Chaz, I don't bristle at people in TT's. It's 99% of the people in the Class A's that I look at with disdain. I totally understand your reasons for moving OVER to a TT. It's great that you were able to find something that allows you to still camp. Also, I don't see you as the type to sit inside your TT all weekend and be a looky-loo at what everyone around you is doing. Those types are looked at with disdain as well.

10. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Jun 26, 2011
    totally understand intheburg. i realize the people who own them big MH who are snobs, usually tend to look down on anyone for anything. while they're sitting there in their big ole 4 mpg rolling mansion looking down their noses at you and i, i'm sitting there by my campfire thinking 'what an idiot'.......LOL but then they have just as much right to have that thing as i do mine. and note i said the ones who are snobs. not everyone who owns a MH is a snob.

and you're right, i don't care what everyone else is doing, as long as the bass in their music isn't rattling my teeth.... [LOL]

spinningmom likes this.
  11. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

May 31, 2010
    I'm with ya on that one. There's a time and place for that, and it's not a campground.

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Love Dions response...
    our Pup is nothing but a tent on a trailer...no A/C Stove just a small sink and 15 gal water tank with a hand pump. I can see the advantage of a TT, and we are looking at getting a small Hybrid in the future for traveling...upgrade no...just different.

13. br9

br9 Member

May 16, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    I've met a lot of nice people in motor homes. When we had the pup and now that we have the TT. When we get a little older we plan on buying a nice class c. But I bet we still build campfires the same as when we had a pup. I just don't think most people in motorhomes are any diffrent than any of us. Snobs are snobs no matter where they sleep.

nrg2brn and spinningmom like this.
  14. gilvin0930

gilvin0930 New Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Just me [2C], camping in a TT or MH is just a step down from checking into a Holiday Inn. A PP mentioned the canvas smell and the feeling of being outdoors you get with a PUP. We just came back this past weekend from camping at a State Park in our area. We had two HUGE MH's beside us, now I was a little jealous of the A/C unit I heard running during the 90 degree heat, while I had none, but they also sat inside the whole weekend. Never once did they lit up the fire ring. That's not camping, IMO. We cooked our dinner over fire (yes we have a stove in out PUP) sat around in our chairs and enjoyed the company of family but at night with the flaps down I got to hear the sounds of nature through the screen of my PUP, feeling like I was actually camping. Looking out and seeing stars and enjoying being outdoors. I think the camping experience gets lost in those rolling hotels.

15. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    The whole "upgrade" term has always bugged me.

That's like someone with a sailboat saying that they "upgraded" to a motorboat. Different reasons to own each, and some people own both.

I think it might have something to do with how people see their camper. For people who've always wanted to go "RV'ing", then changing over to a TT might seem like an upgrade to them. But again, different types of campers to fit the various needs.

KS-Scout-dad likes this.
  16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Whether it is an upgrade or a switching over to is more of an individual choice, when you consider that you can get a pup with almost the exact amenities as a TT is it really upgrading ?? Where someone might think of it as upgrading is going from canvas walls to solid walls, Personally I consider certain things of our TT an upgrade other things are just a move over... what I consider an upgrade is, the lack of wet canvas, that I then have to waste a day or two setting up and drying out (neither trailer are stored at the house), another upgrade for us is the full bathroom, no more being woken up at 2am for those runs to the campground facilities and probably the biggest upgrade for us is the ability to quickly pull one nighters to extend the range of our trips... Right now on the books for next year we have 3 possible trips that total close to 2000 km's round trip with at least 4 one night stops... Now on the move over side of things, we still have a fridge, only much much bigger,, we have about the same amount of storage, 90% of the "things" we had in the pup we moved over to the TT... Maintenance wise it is about the same, still have a roof to watch out for and reseal as required, we still have surfaces to wash and keep clean, the biggest difference is the fuel bill is higher, but this we knew and expected, however it is a trade off we were happy to do, for the new abilities we have with the TT.. An upgrade ... in some respects, a switch over from style in which we camp, minimal.. A move from one type of trailer to another,, definitely ... Would we do it again ... at some point I see a 5'er down the road, not for a few years yet, next one might even be the retirement full time type trailer ..

KS-Scout-dad likes this.
  17. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    But damn, those backpacks can be tough on the old knees [LOL]

spinningmom likes this.
  18. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    A Pup is a "tent on wheels" in my opinion. I like tents more, but the five bad disks in my back don't... Camping in a box just never appealed to me. [;)]

bob barnes likes this.
  19. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Jun 26, 2011
    well said Snow! your ideas of upgrades are real close to me and DW....i think you have summed it up as well as i've ever seen anyone sum it up. if we could +1 here, you'd have one from me :)

20. singledad

singledad New Member

Jun 5, 2012
    BigBaron, I know where you are comming from, I have a bad disk in lower back and a bad disk in neck. I love tenting, but it is to much for me now with the other problems I have. That is why I would like to get a pup, where everything is in one place. I don't have to lug all the gear in and back from the car. [CP] to [TV] [PU]

spinningmom likes this.