TV Tire Pondering

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by generok, Sep 7, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok tire folks, here's my dilemma: I have a 2014 F150 FX4, and stock tires are P275/65R18 114. I need 4 new tires, since I tow close to my max a few times a year, I want to up the load index from 114 to 116 on my next set of tires. 114 is the most popular in that size, but I can find 116's and even 123's if I go all terrain.

My problem is the pressures. Once you go from 114 the max sidewall pressure goes from 35psi (where my sticker says to run) up to 44psi max.

So, the question is do I up the load index and run at the max sidewall to take advantage of the higher load rating, or do I get the 116, but run them at 35psi in accordance with the sticker?

The jump from 114 to 116 gives me an additional 600 lbs max load on the tires (across all 4), which isn't a huge deal, but it's basically the difference between a full tank of water and an empty tank of water on the TT.

Thoughts?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The sticker PSI is only for the original tires.

I use BFG Long Trail P metric in XL load range on one of my half ton pickups. The sidewall max is 50 psi. I run 50 in the rear and like 45 in the front. My TT is 6k+. I have no complaints with how the tires perform when towing.

generok likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    As the above poster said the door sticker is for the original size tire. I went from a P metric 32psi to a LR D with a 48psi. and reprogramed the sensors to reflect the higher psi. Now if I put 32psi in a tire, I would have a low tire light on.
    I run the pressure that's on the sidewall, as if I would have ran the 32psi, I would be running the tire low.
    Remember what happened to Ford and Firestone with low pressures

generok likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Am I missing something? Changing the tires on the TV, doesn't allow you to carry more weight in the TT.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    Make sure if you make the change to pay attention if you get your vehicle serviced at a quick lube or dealership. They usually set your pressure to vehicle specs, so mention ahead of time to set them to tire specs.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    You have a PM

generok likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    You have passenger tires on your pick up truck? Lol , the dealer swapped them out on you. No tire shop will pit passenger tires on a pick up. Look for LT tires, light truck tires.

8. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Autocorrect is killing me, please re read with the corrections!

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Agreed, but I think you misunderstood the intent of the comment. The intent was to give perspective as to what 600 pounds represents in something more material.

While changing the tire load rating does nothing to increase the total allowable max towing weight, it does lower the percentile of the operating envelope the tires are operating in during a max or close to max towing scenario.

TPMS didn't worry me, but I can fiddle with all that stuff.

I figured I'd run sidewall pressures, or something lower that provides a good combination of performance, ride, even wear and efficiency. I just wanted to see if I was way off base or not.

It's been my long held understanding that sidewall pressure is the maximum pressure the tire may run. But, some manufacturers run at pressures less than sidewall in order to better match the vehicle suspension. My old Explorer was a good example. It ran 35psi in the rear (max sidewall) but only 32 in the front.

Thanks for the thoughts folks, I do appreciate it.

Raycfe likes this.
  10. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Not correct....Many 1/2 ton pickups come factory equipped with P metric tires.

Yak likes this.
  11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Dealer didn't swap them out on you. The mfg put the P,s on the truck. as the door sticker will reflect this.
    P's weigh less and cost less than the LT's

xxxapache likes this.
  12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    So not only is it cheaper, it raises the average MPG for that model.
    Most half ton truck come with those tires when new.

xxxapache likes this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    X2 on the vehicle sticker reflects the tire pressure for the OEM stock tires.. You change them out to LT tires, run them at the 44psi since they are no longer the stock P tires that came on your truck..

When I wore out the factory GY P tires on my truck I went with the LT tires, I run them at 44psi.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Why do you run at max pressure, just because you change tires; unless you are running at full load 100 percent of the time? My truck came with P tires and were changed to LT tires. If P tires can handle my normal truck load at 29 psi (front) and 32 psi (rear), the LT tires (with more sidewall structure; max pressure 35 psi) can easily handle the normal truck load at 29 / 32 psi.

The tires are the first component in the suspension absorbing jolts from road imperfections. The more pressure in a tire, the more stresses are transferred to the A-frame, ball joints, bushings, shocks, other steering components, and everything else attached to the frame for increased wear.

Raycfe likes this.
  15. popup 61

popup 61 New Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Northeast PA
    Sidewall tire pressures are a max , not what you need to run.
    Sidewall pressures are the max for that given tire, not what you need to use on a daily basis. The manufacturer has spent lots of money to determine what pressures work the best for the given vehicle , p metric or LT. Personally I dont like driving down the road getting my teeth rattled out running 44psi.

16. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    In nj , you can't have a tire shop put passenger tires on a pick up. They will not do it. I had the dealer put lt tires on my truck . They didn't flinch. It's basicly a cost saving measure for them.

17. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    The "P" in your tire label is for "passenger". You will be much happier with the improved handling and capacity of LT (light truck) tires.

18. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Is is illegal for a tire shop to replace the tires that originally came on a vehicle per the door jamb sticker with the same?

19. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I took my old truck to 5 diffrent places , they all said it was illegal for them yo put passanger tires on a light truck. It was a liability issue. Passanger tires were never listed in the manufactures spec book. When I bought my next truck I told them that and I had light truck tires put on. No extra cost.

20. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I believe you were misinformed...

Raycfe likes this.