TWO SHELVING SOLUTIONS

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by 94-D2, Apr 21, 2012.

1. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Greetings all

I finally completed my galley shelving mod. I needed to change the way the shelve's horizontal support faced so I modified the fitted brackets to accommodate them. Note how the bottom shelf is reversed. DW and I found that when the bottom shelf faces forward as the design intended, it felt crowded and in the way. I considered shortening the lower shelf to 6" from 12, but considered that it was waisting space and increasing the cost since I would be cutting 1/4 of it away. So, reversing the shelf face and modifying the bracket solved the problem. I also added a coffee cup holder to compliment my espresso station.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In all there is 176" of shelf space added which effectively triples my countertop storage capability. There is a bunch of items that can be added to these shelves. Paper towel holder, dish wash service items, under shelf lighting, just to name a few. Need and convenience will dictate additions. Creative thinking is the key. Many ideas are already available from Ikea, who has a whole line of space saving items.

Another area in need was an existing "ledge" located in the entertainment area below the countertop adjacent the couch. This ledge was prone to loosing articles due to the lack of anything to secure it. So, I added a rail which provided a permanent solution and created additional storage during transport. Before, nothing could be stored there. Now, it is a great place to stow many things. It serves well as a DVD/CD case. Add a basket, and I have an out f the way place to put a watch, phone, keys and other pocket items upon entering the trailer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, these are just a few other mods I have done. More to come when my bank account recovers.

Happy Campin'

J

2. dfab

dfab New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I like what you did in the last photo, looks like it belongs there.

3. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Very nice work!

4. Riesi79

Riesi79 New Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Looks really good!
    are the shower rods just held in place by pressure?

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA

Yes they are. These rods twist up and apply pressure. You have to make sure there is support under the cabinet otherwise you will bend your countertop. Then install the clothes bar caps at both ends. That keeps it all in place. I used super strong 3M auto tape for this instead of putting screws in. This stuff is the tape used for trim panels on cars now adays. It is weather resistant and sticks properly. It is also resistant the heat. Other double stick tends to breakdown when it gets to a certain temp.

Anyway, thanks for the kudos.....

J

6. Riesi79

Riesi79 New Member

Apr 1, 2012
    ahhh, didn't see the caps at first, that makes more sense, think I'd use the tape instead of screws too
    thanks again

7. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Peachtree City, GA
    Very nice!

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Thanks for looking. Appriciate the positive feedback. I am always interested to see what others are doing. Hopefully someone one else can use ths post as an idea or improve on it. That's obviously what I have hopefully done and benefitted from it.

Keep on thinking out of the box,

J

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Looks great! Good job J.

10. The Manchacan

The Manchacan New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I think I'll do this mod to my to-do list. I understand how you mounted the tension rods, but how are the shelf standards attached to the rods?

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I used 1 1/2 " or 2" hose clamps to hold the verticle uprights on the tension rods. Others have used u-bolts and sheet metal screws but I figured only one bolt to turn then easyer. Just make sure you use the 1" uprights. There is a 1/2" version out there, but the brackets do not fit properly against the tension rods and buggers up the whole thing. I used the Rubbermaid system from lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_69781-315-FG3Q7500WHT_0__?productId=3274379&Ntt=rubbermaid+shelf&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Drubbermaid%2Bshelf%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

It wasn't cheap but they work really well.

Good luck with the project.

Happy campin'

J

12. The Manchacan

The Manchacan New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Thanks for the fast reply. I have some of these shelf standards (uprights) and brackets laying around from an old construction project that I knew would come in handy some day. All I need are tension rods, end caps and hose clamps. Should come in cheap; I'll try that Habitat and Goodwill stores first. Can't wait to get it done. DW will be pleased.

13. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Jun 19, 2008
    Woodbridge, VA
    Look Great! I am considering adding some shelving to my PU...

14. j_shoe99

j_shoe99 Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Great work!

Do you take the vertical uprights(shower rods) and the shelves apart during travel?

I would think assembed, yet uninstalled, would still take up plenty of space in the pup. I have a small 8ft camper, and would be worried about where to put the shelves during storage/transit.

15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Very nice styling on the ledge work and good craftsmanship.

16. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Looks very nice!! I really like the little shelf you made.

17. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA

I take the whole thing apart. I have the rods numbered for ease of set up. It letterally takes about two minutes to set up. I store these on my dinette slide out in transport. If I did not have the slide, they would fit neatly just on the floor, or front storage trunk if you have one. I found that if you bungee the shelves and rods together, they stay put and don't jump around. I wanted some sort of plastic container to put them in but the shelves are 48" long. Biggest container I could find for an under-bed type was only 36. So, bungees will have to do.

Thanks to all else who comment. Appriciate the kind words. Hope it inspires ideas like it has for me. I find it really part of the fun tinkering as well as the camping and road trip. Way too much fun.

J

18. babar

babar Don't throw effort after foolishness

Jul 23, 2012
    Those shelves looks awesome!

19. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Re: TWO SHELVING SOLUTIONS **UPDATED**

Well, I finally found and installed a few additions to the tension rod shelfs. There is always a need for baskets and drawers so I set out to find a few solutions. Only minimal modification was required to customize the items to make them work for my purposes.

Spring loaded wire mount drawer runner. Re wielded the wire holders in a different position to accommodate 12" shelf. It is originally a 16" I think. $10 bucks, Ikea
    [​IMG]
    Simple basket that had two hooks already. I added two with a jig I have from Duluth trading. $3.00 Ikea
    [​IMG]

And these I found at Ikea in the kitchen area. They are extremely universal with its own towel rack style mounting system and hooks. Almost no limit to how you can use these These two were only $15 bucks.
    [​IMG]

Set up and take town take down are simple and inconsequential for time. It is only one more step in removal and can be used or not at will. Cheap, simple and very functional.

Happy campin'

J

20. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    Wow!